Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Aragorn and Haldir ran out of the talan and deep into the woods, fear driving them. They stopped and asked a sentry if he knew where Rumil was.

"Yes milord, he went to the river to swim." the sentry told them

Haldir thanked the sentry and they continued on their way, when they got to the river they saw impressions in the ground. They followed the footprints until they came to a heartbreaking scene. Rumil held Legolas trying to soothe him, Legolas was crying and had three long cuts on his arm. They were talking quietly, or rather Legolas was talking Rumil was simply listening. Haldir and Aragorn approached the pair quietly so they would not disturb them. Rumil looked up as he sensed his brother close by, they saw sadness, rage, and hate in his eyes. Haldir and Aragorn realized that Legolas was telling Rumil what they already knew.

"Legolas? You have company." Rumil whispered into the other elf's ear.

Legolas looked up and saw Haldir and Aragorn standing a few paces away, he lowered his eyes in shame.

"I will leave you now Legolas........You will get through this. Always remember I am your friend." Rumil gave Legolas a hug then he stood. He bowed to Aragorn and Haldir before he picked up the dagger and left.

Haldir swiftly knelt in front of Legolas, he hugged him close to him hoping to drive away the demons. Aragorn inspected the cuts on Legolas's arm, he sighed relieved they would heal soon. Aragorn moved behind Legolas until the three of them were embracing each other. They stayed that way for some time.




Rumil walked swiftly through the forest silently cursing Thranduil, he reached out with his mind and felt out where his parents were. He climbed up the stairs that led to his fathers study, he hoped Thranduil was inside. He was not disappointed. Thranduil, Galadriel and Celeborn looked up as the doors were thrown open. Rumil stalked inside his eyes were on Thranduil, Celeborn stood immediately recognizing the look in his son's eyes.

"You son of a bitch! You arrogant pig headed bastard." Rumil swore as he grabbed the front of Thranduil's tunic and hauled him to his feet. He then tossed the king against the wall, curses filling the air. "You are not worthy of your title, or to call yourself an elf. I should kill you right now and spare Middle Earth of your foul presence." One of his hands circled Thranduil's throat and squeezed.

"Rumil! Stop it at once!" Celeborn shouted at his youngest son.

Rumil released Thranduil, he watched the king fall in a heap on the floor. He pulled out the dagger Legolas had cut himself with. He tossed it in front of Thranduil.

"See what you drive your only son to do? That is his blood drawn by his hand! His actions are on your head because of the foul way you treat your only kin. Your only son. An orc could have raised him with more tenderness then you have shown him." Rumil spat out.

"Rumil! Thats is quite enough." Celeborn said but gently this time as he walked over to his son.

"I.....I....I am sorry Ada.......I.....I" Rumil stopped as he realized what he had done, his anger was gone replaced by shame. His slim frame began shaking as he understood what he had almost done.

Celeborn hugged his son and smoothed his hair in a comforting manner. "Shhhhhh......It's alright my son. You care deeply for Legolas, tis only normal that you defend him. Tell me is he alright?"

"Nay. He stole my knife and cut himself........He wanted to kill himself." Rumil hugged his father back grateful that Celeborn had always treated him like a son. Celeborn kissed his son on the cheek and stepped back. "Go now and rest Rumil. My son." Celebborn smiled and turned to his wife. Galadriel was kneeling next to Thranduil, inspecting his neck.

"Do you understand the depths to which you have thrown your son? Do you not see that you treat Legolas as you were once treated? I saw how Oropher yelled and belittled you. I know of how you cried yourself to sleep at night wishing, hoping, praying for his love and approval. You have only repeated a deadly cycle." Celeborn said as he knelt in front of Thranduil.

"Aye.....I finally understand only it is to late.....I wish I told him I love him and how much he means to me. I only wanted him to be strong and wise." Thranduil sighed and looked at his son's blood on the knife.

"It is never to late....You may never be father and son but you can still be friends. Twill not be easy but you will prevail." Galadriel said as she looked up. She noticed that Rumil had not left as asked. "Rumil will show you to a talan where you can stay." she looked at Rumil and noticed the horrified look on his face. "My son you must apologize for your actions and words. Go now and rest Thranduil. We will speak more tomorrow. Oh and Rumil? Make sure some food is sent from the kitchens, we do not want him to starve."

"Yes milady mother." Rumil bowed and started for the door, he waited until Thranduil followed him.




Rumil walked out into the cool night air, he sighed and made his way to another talan. He paused briefly to speak to a young elven house maiden. She promised that food would be sent to Thranduil before she walked away. Rumil stopped in front of a door, he turned to Thranduil "I am sorry for my words and actions your highness. Here is your room if you need anything my room is next door."

"There is no need to apologize Rumil. I am glad that someone finaly said what needed to be said. I only wish me and my son were as close as you and Celeborn." Thranduil said as he walked into his room.

"Good night milord." Rumil said stunned by Thranduil's words.

"Good night young Rumil."




Aragorn and Haldir stayed in the forest hugging and soothing Legolas until the prince fell asleep. Haldir picked him up and they started for his talan, Aragorn followed them troubled by what he had seen in Rumil's eyes. Once they were inside Haldir's talan Aragorn helped to remove Legolas's boots. The three of them lay down and slept.