Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

The fellowship slowly walked up the winding staircase on their way to meet the Lord and Lady of Lorien. Legolas felt apprehensive he knew what powers the Lady possesed, she could see through your soul. See things even you did not know about yourself, see things you did not want her to see. He was terrified that she would think him weak, or worse that she would pity him. It never occured to him that she would be outraged at his father. The fellowship stood in front as the Lord and Lady descended to meet them. Celeborn looked at the members and noticed that Gandalf was missing, before he could inquire Galadriel noted that he had fallen into shadow. She looked at each member of the fellowship, offering words of comfort that only they could hear. When she loooked upon Legolas her eyes widened as she divined the truth behind his sorrow.

Oh my dear child what have you done to yourself? Her thought speach entered his mind. If only I could take away your pain.

His thoughts ran amok through his mind, all the years of torment, lonliness, and dispair were trasmitted to her in a heartbeat. Did she know about his father? Haldir?

No. I did not know about your father, had I know I would have called council and demanded that you be fostered to someone who cared. I knew that Haldir had been asked never to come back but I did not know the reason.

His soul seemed to crumble under her kind words, she truly understood.

Two people can help you Legolas, Two who care a great deal about you. One can give you hope, the other can give you strength.

Hope and strength. Aragorn and Haldir. He could feel a tiredness overwhelm him, he could barley make out Galadriel's spoken words.

"Do not let your heart be troubled, go now and rest."

Legolas vaguly saw Rumil and Orophin guiding the rest of the fellowship out to their resting places. He felt a hand on his shoulder, and a voice asking him if he was ok. He shook his head because coherent speech was beyond him, he sensed another person coming toward him. He realized that it was Haldir and Aragorn. His strength and hope. He felt them support him, guide him as the tiredness grew stronger. He felt his weapons being removed, followed by his cloak, then he was laid upon a bed. Before sleep claimed him he felt someone lay on either side of him, knowing he was safe he drifted off.




Aragorn and Haldir had a time getting Legolas into bed, he was so exhausted that he could barely stand. They removed his weapons, cloak, and boots. When he was resting comfortably Aragorn removed his own weapons and boots, then he laid next to Legolas as Haldir laid ont eh other side of him. Aragorn felt tired as well but he fought against it wanting to stay awake to protect Legolas fromthe bad dreams he knew he would have. Smooth elvish words broke into his thoughts, it took Aragorn awhile to realize that Haldir was speaking to him. Aragorn asked Haldir to repeat what he said.

"I said that you should rest as well, Estel. The journey has been rough on both of you. You require sleep. Besides you are as weary as Legolas." Haldir said

Aragorn felt himself drifting off "Dreams............He will............Scared." Aragorn mumbled.

"I will be here to protect you both, sleep Estel." Haldir said as Aragorn slid into sleep. "I will watch over both of my loves."

Haldir had never told either of them that he loved them, how could he? He didn't understand how his heart could love two people. The seven of them had grown up together, first it had been just him, Rumil, Orophin, Elladan, Elrohir, and Legolas. They had travelled between the three kingdoms twice a season, the rest of they year they spent with their own families. Then 100 years after their majority Elrond had found Estel and began rasing him. The six of them became like brothers and helped Elrond teach the young human. Around Aragorn's 18 th birthday Haldir came to Imladris, crying. Thranduil had forbidden him and anyone else from seeing his son. Elladan, Elrohir, Rumil, and Orophin were waiting for him and legolas to arrive for Estel's supprise party. They were angered when Haldir told them of Thranduil's decree. It was then that Haldir realized that he loved Legolas. He stayed at Imladris from spring untill winter, during that time he began to fall in love with Aragorn.

Haldir sighed and slipped off into the elvish realm of dreams.