Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Aragorn sighed at Theoden's words and had to admit that the King was right. Gondor needed help and needed it now. She needed her rightful heir and king. But Aragorn was lothe to leave Legolas and Haldir behind. Both needed lots of rest and time to recover from their various injuries. Legolas seemed to be exhausted emotionaly mostly. He had watched hundreds of elves die. Death just wasn't part of the elven lifestyle. They were immortal and deadly with a bow so seeing ones comrades die just wasn't usual. Once of twice they would lose an elf or two to an Orc attack but nothing of this magnitude since the last Alliance. He didn't know if Legolas would even stay behind. He was stubborn like that. He, Gimli, the remaining elves, and Rohan men would march to Gondor. Aragorn went to the room where Rumil and Haldir lay recuperating. Haldir had woken late last night and was stunned that he wasn't in Mandos. He had smiled weakly at Aragorn before he fell asleep again comforted by his lover's nearness. Rumil was practicaly healed as his wounds were of the magickal nature. The magickal blast conjured by Saurman had preyed on his deep doubts and fears. Fears about his love for Mirkwood's king, Galadriel's leaving, and Orophin's distant nature. Aragorn sat at Haldir's bedside and watched the handsome elf sleep.




Legolas awoke to a beautiful day and a light heart. For the first time in a long time he didn't feel the need to cut. The darkness had left his heart and he was free to feel without doubts tinging his mind. He got up and dressed in freshly laundered leggings and a tunic. He brushed his long hair and braided it. He walked out into the hall and outside. He saw Eomer standing and watching the bodies of his men being laid out. So many had fallen, so many had died. He would make sure they did not die in vain.

"I wish to thank you for all you did to help me." Legolas said to Eomer.

Eomer turned and smiled at the hesitant elf. "Your welcome."

"I wish to explain myself to you. Lest you think less of me..." Legolas began but he was cut off by Eomer.

"You do not have to explain yourself. I do not think less of you for your faults. Elves may appear perfect but they are not. You are as just fallible as men, hobbits, and dwarfs." Eomer said gently.

"Yes I know that now. I have never seen so many elves die in such a battle. I have lost an elf or two. But not so much at one time." Legola said sadly.

"Did you know many of them?" Eomer asked geniunely concerned.

"Yes. Many of them I helped Haldir train in the arts of warfare." he explained gently.

"I'm sorry for your loss." Legolas was inturrupted by the arrival of Eowyn.

"Legolas? Haldir is awake and he wishes to see you." she said smiling at how he perked up.

"I will go see him then. Good bye milady, Eomer." he said as he turned and raced inside.

Eowyn and Eomer smiled at one another and continued to watch the clean up and pray for the lost souls.




Legolas knocked on the door to Haldir's room before he entered. He saw Aragorn talking to Haldir who looked much better. Both smiled at him as he entered but he saw the sadness lurking in Haldir's eyes. He knew that Aragorn had told him about his cutting. He sat down on the bed next to Haldir. Being careful not to jostle the bed to much lest he hurt his love.

"How do you fare?" Haldir asked.

Legolas laughed slightly. "I should be asking you that melamin."

"I know."

Legolas sighed and lowered his eyes to the ground not saying anything.

"Why?"

"I thought you would die and I wanted to hurt." was all he said.

Haldir and Aragorn didn't say anything for a long minute. Coming to some unspoken decision Aragorn spoke.

"I have to lead the remaning men and elves to Gondor. You and Haldir must stay behind to recover."

"WHAT??? I am not staying behind!" Legolas jumped up and started pacing.

"Haldir needs you more then I do. If one of stays behind it will aid in his recovery. The bond will help him." Aragorn explained gently.

Legola's shoulders slumped slightly. "Is this a punishment?"

"What? No! Why would you think that?" Aragorn got up and pulled Legolas close to him.

"I don't know. Will you come back alive to us?" Legolas asked pulling Aragorn close to him.

"Yes. I promise." He said as he lay Legolas on one side of Haldir and he lay on the other. Together they offered comfort to one another before they fell asleep. Tomorrow they would seperate....possibly forever.