Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Chapter notes: A/N: I see the Valar like angels shimmery, radiant beings that speak to us not with spoke words but we hear their words in our hearts and minds.
Glorfindel sat Legolas down and unwound the bandages on the prince's arms. He bathed the angry red cuts and re wrapped them with clean bandages. He silently mixed a few herbs into a glass of mulled wine. He handed the cup to Legolas and watched him drink it all. All this was done in complete silence. Legolas was mortified that the elda knew his horrid secret. Glorfindel was horrified by the prince's actions. In all his long life he had never witnessed an elf self destruct like this one seemed to be doing.

"Why?" he asked sitting in front of Legolas.

"At first because of my father but now things are progressing. I can't seem to stop! I try I really do but..." Legolas looked down into the empty goblet.

"But what?" Glorfindel prodded taking the goblet and setting it aside.

"When I don't do it, my arms itch and burn. I feel this compulsion to cut! I don't know whats wrong with me! I finally have everything I wanted! My father, bond mates, respect...But I still feel the need! Whats wrong with me???" Legolas whispered shaking at the depth of emotion that ran through him.

Glorfindel reached out and embraced the young prince. He didn't know what to do! He had never heard of such a thing before.

"I had word sent to Lord Elrond about Rumil and Haldir. I am certain he will come. Perhaps he will be able to help you. I am sorry mellonamin I just don't know how to help. But I will be here if you ever need to talk."

Legolas nodded and tears fell down his face at Glorfindel's words. Could Lord Elrond help him? No one else seemed to be able to. He has once felt like no one cared, like he didn't matter. Now many were supporting him, helping him. Had they been there all along? Had he refused to see that he was liked? Galadriel, Celeborn, Glorfindel, Haldir, Aragorn, and many, many others were desperatly trying to help him. Why? Was he worth saving?

Yes

The word appeared in his mind from out of no where.

They love you. They have always loved you. They always will. Do not dispair young Greenleaf I will help guide you. The darkness cannot have you. I will not allow it!

Legolas gasped as darkness consumed him, he slid down into his own mind. The last thing he heard was Glorfindel saying his name over and over.




He was standing in a empty room, in a place that looked like Rivendell. It looked like Lord Elrond's library. Legolas looked around confused and vey scared.

Do not be scared little one

Legolas turned to see who was in the room with him. He saw a stunning elf woman. She had long black hair, blue eyes, and she wore a white shimmering gown.

"Who are you?"

I am of the Valar sent to help guide you.

"Guide me?"

Your soul cries out in pain and agony. Your heart has gone dark with dispair. This is not natural of the first born.

Legolas cried at the tender words. "I do not know how to stop!"

That you are able to admit you have a problem is the first step to peace and healing.

"Is it? Whats next then? I feel such pain! I know my problem worries my friends and family but I do not know how to stop!"

The Lady Valar embrace the distraught elf.

Next you must make peace with your past. You need to speak with your father. Only once the past is buried then you can begin to heal and move on.

"But I have talked to him. we are starting over!"

"Yes you did talk...about everything but what you need to talk about. You talk around the past. Around his words and actions. Around you mother."

"My mother?"

She is the key. Once you talk about her you will understand. I will always be here little one. Go now and rest comfortably knowing I am near.

"I thank you lady...." Legolas whispered as darkness again consumed him.




A cool cloth was resting on his forehead, blankets surrounded him, and a sense of peace penetrated him. He was safe and loved. The Valar be praised for their help, love, and understanding. He forced his eyes open and he looked around. He saw Aragorn and Glorfindel talking in low voices. Glorfindel was saying something about exhaustion, stress, and emotional overload. He realized they were talking about him! He moaned slightly as pain raced throug his over abused arms. Instantly Aragorn was by his side.

"Shhhhh...Your tired both physicaly, emotionaly, and mentaly. You need rest. Sleep. I love you." Aragorn said as he softly kissed Legolas.

Legolas smiled feeling warm and comfortable again. He droped off in to elven reverie.