Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Chapter notes: A/N: Haldir's POV.
I follow Aragorn and Legolas to their room to spend a few miuntes alone with them. Aragorn must wait upon the king in less the nine minutes. Only nine minutes alone with one of my loves. I will spend a bit longer with Legolas. What they do not know is I looked into Galadriel's mirror and I know my fate. I will die tonight. I will battle an Uruk and he will kill me. Aragorn shall cradle me as I pass into the halls of waiting. I shiver as I think that I have less then four hours to live. I will spend them with the ones I love. We reach Aragorn and Legolas's room and enter it. I sit upon the bed and watch as Legolas bids Aragorn goodbye. But before he can leave I must ask him something imporant.

"Aragorn will you lead the elves tonight? FOr you are fluent in common and elvish. I am not good in common neither is any of our men. Someone must be fluent in both in order to command both men and elves." I ask standing.

He nods and extends his hand and I clasp it in the warrior way. He pulls me in for a quick hug and kiss then he is gone. I watch him leave before I turn to Legolas. We are both dressed for battle do this is not the time for carnal needs. He lays on the bed and I lay facing him. We hold each other and rest for several hours before a knock on our door rouses us. He gets up and opens the door, Rumil stands there looking for me. Orophin did not, could not come. He has a wife and young child to care for and this is a suicide mission. I beckon my brother inside he looks at Legolas for permission. Legolas reaches out and hugs his fathers lover. We lay on the bed holding and talking to each other. Thranduil wanted to come as well but Mirkwood's prince was already here and they needed their king. He was reluctant to let Rumil come though knowing many would die. But in the end Rumil won and kissed his lover goodbye as we marched to our deaths. I do not know Rumil's fate for that was clouded int he mirror. I only know my fate and know next to nothing could stop it. I hold my brother and lover close, telling them how much I loved them. They seemed worried about my behavior. For I told no one about my visions only Celeborn and Galadriel knew and that was to many already. All to soon Aragorn comes and tells us that the Uruk are coming. The four of us hug and say our goodbyes just in case we did not get the chance. We walked out on to the battlements where the elves and men waited. I stood in between Aragorn and Rumil as we watched the Uruk coming closer and closer. We made our bows ready and soon the Uruk were charging and we loosed our arrows. We barely made a dent in their ranks as they came closer and closer. Soon we were out of arrows and we used our swords. There were so many of them and not enough of us. We slayed all that approached and we knocked down ladder after ladder. Many men fell and did not get up. The children were slaughtered next to the old men. We fought bravely but it was folly we could not win this alone. Suddenly an explosion ripped apart the walls of the fort. I saw my brother caught in the explosion fall and not move.

"Rumil!" I screamed racing to his side. He was alive but barely so, his breathing was shallow. If this battle did not end soon he would die. I jumped to my feet and stood protecting him from all who approached. I heard Aragorn yelling for me to retreat, I turned to see him when a burning pain raced up my back. I turned and saw a huge Uruk behind me. I fell to the ground, the last thing I saw before my eyes closed was the bodies of my kin, my brother lying on the ground dead. It struck me as useless and dispair swamped me. There was no hope we would all die and Sauron would take back the ring. I closed my eyes as I hit the ground. I would die here cold and alone surrounded by my kin, my brother, and soon my lovers.




A/N: Now it's Aragorn's POV.

They are everywhere slaughtering our paltry defenses. Taking no pity and showing no mercy. They relished the kill and our blood, be it elven or human. I hear Theoden shouting for a retreat back into the citadel. I yell at Haldir but when he turns I see him get hit. The Uruk behind him is grinning as he slays my loveer. Screaming I run to where he lays and I slay the Uruk that dared to touch my lover. I cradle the broken, bleeding body next to my heart. His eyes are closed and his breathing is shallow. I know he will not live long, I pray that he will live till battle's end so I can tend him. I place him on the ground before standing. My breath catches in my throat as I see Rumil laying next to Haldir. Rumil was just as bad off as Haldir. I send a prayer to the Valar to keep them alive. I signal to Legolas he runs over and we manage to carry them back into the citadel. Theoden is watching us as we lay them on the ground in a safe place. Legolas told Theoden about us and Haldir when I was gone. I convince him to ride out with the remaining troops in one last glorious stand. He agreess and we ride out together to face our destiny. Suddenly I see Eomer and Gandalf riding down the hill toward the keep. They quickly dispached the remaining Uruk Hai. I race back into the keep and to Haldir's side. Gandalf enters a moment later and he examines Haldir then Rumil. When he turns to us his face is grave.

"They are both in dire need of help. Human healers can do nothing for them and I am only one man. I can save one of them. Which one shall I save?" He says looking at me and Legolas awaiting our answer.