Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Chapter notes: A/N: Aragorn's POV
By the time I awoke Legolas and Gimli were already awake and ready to go. Sighing I stood and got my things ready for the days trek. I refused the lembas and water that Legolas offered. I saw him and Gimli exchange a worried glance. Shrugging it off I started on the trail of the Uruk again. Legolas caught sight of them several hundred yards away. We were finally catching up with them. We began to run again. We ran for hours and hours stopping only once when something odd caught my eye. It was a lorien leaf brooch.

"Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall." I muttered. "They are still alive. Come on!"

We started running faster if thats possible, spurred on by the tidbit we received. Suddenly the wind changed and the Uruk picked up speed. I knew they had caught our scent. We ran untill we reached a big stand of rock. Upon reaching it we heard tons of hoofbeats approaching. We quickly ducked behind the rocks. We saw hundreds of thousands or Rohirrim run past us. We jumped out revaling ourselves.

"What news of the east riders of rohan?" I shouted trying to get their attention.

Immediatly they surrounded us with spears pointed and ready to strike.

"What busines does an elf, dwarf, and a man have in the Riddermark?" their leader sneered at us.

"I will give you my name in exchange for yours." Gimli snapped. The leader glowered at him and dismounted saying.

"I would cut your head from your shoulders if you stood but a bit higher." the leader threatened steping toward Gimli.

Legolas quickly drew back his bow and aimed it at the leader saying, "You would be dead before your stroke fell."

At once several riders made to kill my beloved. Raising my hands I stepped in between Legolas and the leader.

"We are tracking a group of Uruk Hai westward across the plains. They took some of our group." I explain. "I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, this is Gimli son of Gloin, and Legolas Greenleaf from Mirkwood."

"I am Eomer. We tracked and killed the Uruk last night. Wwe stacked and burned their bodies oveer there." Eomwr pointed a bit behind them and I could see a smoldering pile of ashes.

"Were there two hobbits with them?" Gimli asked desperatly.

"They would be but children to your eyes." I clarified.

Eomer shook his head slowly his eyes showing his sadness. Legolas stepped forward and gripped Eomer's tunic desperatly. What ever he had started to say was cut short by a man. One of the men nearest to Eomer and Legolas raised his sword and hit Legolas over the head with the hilt. Legolas crumpled to the ground under the force of the blow. I gave a low cry and caught him before he fell. I lowered him gently to the ground. A shiver of dread ran up my spine a gash ran across the side of his face and his eyes were closed.

"Legolas! Legolas!" I said over and over while slapping him lightly on the face trying to rouse him. He lay limp and unresponding in my arms. The gash was so close to his temple.

"Can you help him Aragorn?" Gimli asked worried.

"I do not know. The blow was so close to his temple and elves never close their eyes." I could feel tears threating to spill over.

Eomer knelt next us anger and sadness written on his face.

"HE WASN'T GOING TO DO ANY THING! HE WAS WORRIED!" I cried out angrily. "The little ones mean the world to him."

Eomer nodded knowingly. "He will be properly and severly reprimanded later. What do you require now to help him?"

I pondered the question for a moment. "A fire and hot water. I have the proper herbs and salves but..."

"Come to our camp it is in a secure location. We will help you." Eomer offered rising and calling for horses.

I nodded and scooped Legolas up into my arms. Standing I turned to Gimli. "Will you go and look for the hobbits where the men told us?"

Gimli nodded and began to walk toward the ashes. I saw two men follow him alarmed I turned to Eomer.

"Do not worry they go to protect him. I thought you would ask him to search for your friends." he shrugged embarrassed.

"Thank you." I handed Legolas to Eomer while I mounted the offered horse I then took him from Eomer.

I followed them to their camp a few miles away, it had trees along one side and rocks alonger another side. It was well protected. Eomer took Legolas from me and entered a tent. I followed and watched him lay Legolas on the small cot. He left and I dug out herbs and bandages. Eomer reentered carrying a pot of hot water, several cloths, and a mug. After he sat the items on a small side table he turned to leave.

"Please stay." I ask. "I may need your help."

He nods and sits in a chair and watches my actions. I put some water in a mug and put a handful of herbs in to steep. Then I tenderly bathe his wound and I place a salve on it followed by a bandage. When I am done he slowly opens his eyes. He sees me and smiles but then he grimaces as a wave of pain hits him.

"I hurt..." he whispers in elvish.

"It's a good thing ou have such a hard head." I feebly joke talking in elvish also. "Drink this. Twill get rid of your pain."

I make him drink it all down and he lays back against the pillows exhausted. "Where am I?" he wonders aloud.

"My camp close to Edoras." Eomer replies in kind.

We stare at him for a moment taken aback that he not oly knew elvish but spoke it flawlessly as well. He shrugs.

"I am always the envoy to Lorien for my uncle King Theoden."

"Your kin to Theoden and your out here in a camp?" Legolas says shocked.

"His mind has been taken over, He is not himself. Orcs roam over our land freely, Saruman looks to Rohan for his own. Me and my men have been banished from Rohan simply because we want Rohan free." Eomer says vhemently.

I sighed it did sound like Sarumans tricks alright but I did not ay anything.

"Milord?" a young man poked his head inside.

"Yes?" Eomer asked rising.

"The dwarf approaches with three men...I thought only two stayed behind?" he looked confused.

"Two did." Eomer strode out of the tent and I followed him.

As they approached I could not believe my eyes. It couldn't be! Could it? Gandalf smiled at me as he dismounted.

"Greetings Aragorn." he said.

I look over at Gimli disbeleiving. "The hobbits?" I ask Gimli suddely terrifed at what the awnser might be.

"They are fine and alive. They are with Treebeard the Ent." Gandalf awnsered my querry. "Now what is wrong with Legolas?"

I lead him inside the tent to where Legolas lay sleeping. I explain what had happened. Gandalf nodded and said "He should be healed by tomorrow." I nod agreeing with ihs assumption.

"Whats this?" he askes rolling up Legolas's sleeves reavaling the myriad scars on his forarms. Wearliy I tell him everything that had transpired since his fall. I tell him about the cutting, the hate, the torment his father heaped on him, his attempted suicide, and finely the three way bond me, him and Haldir share. Gandalf sat listening to my tale.

"I belieive I shall talk with Thranduil later." he muses out loud.

"No need." I say as I proceed to tell him about Thranduil coming to Lorien, about Thranduil and Rumil, and about how he had got hurt this time. I also talk about Boromir's fall and the guilt I carry. We sat and talked for hours untill Gandalf rose and ordered me to bed. I balk at the idea but he isn't having any of it.

"Into the bed with you mate young one. We leave for Edoras tomorrw now sleep. I shall make sure Gimli does as well." his eyes twinkle with mischeif. "Do not worry I shall mak sure no one inturrupts you use of a real bed."

I blush and the innuendo in the statement but shrug and climb into bed next to Legolas. I carefully gather him into my arms and fall into a dreamless slumber.