Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Legolas sat brading his hair in prepration for the farwell banquet tonight. Aragorn and Haldir had left earlier to help Lady Galadriel. He was glad to be alone, he needed to rebuild their trust in him. He swore to himself that he would always think of them before he did something stupid. He was so wrapped up in his thoughts that he didn't hear the door open. Thranduil watched his only son as he braided his hair. Thranduil was so ashamed at how he had treated his son in the past. He hoped he could have, at the least, a friendship with Legolas.

"Legolas?"

Legolas jumped and whirled around to face his father.

"Ada!" Legolas jumped up and gave his father a hug. "What brings you here?"

"I wanted to say I am sorry. I know words can never be enough but I am sorry. I am glad that you are ok." Thranduil smiled and hugged his son back.

Rumil watched them from the doorway smiling at the sight. He hoped Legolas would understand, he hoped he would accept him. Thranduil released his son when he heard his lover enter the room.

"We need to speak with you Legolas." Thranduil said as he motioned for Rumil to enter.

Legolas looked from his father to Rumil then back again. "About what?" he was still embarassed that he had stolen Rumil's dagger.

Thranduil and Rumil sat on the bed across from Legolas. Both looked uncomfortable and slightly embarassed. What on earth was wrong with them? Legolas wondered. Wait...That look the just exchanged. Could it be? No that was absurd. Or was it? Did they love each other? By the Valar they did! And they wanted his blessing as Thranduil's son! Legolas smiled at them, he was certain what he would say now. Thranduil looked at Rumil, neither one looked ready to talk. Legolas took pity on them.

"It's ok. I understand and I am happy for you." Legolas said suddenly as he began to rebraid his hair.

Rumil and Thranduil looked over at him in shock. Neither had expected Legolas to accept them with such ease.

"Thank you my son." Thranduil rose and kissed his son on the cheek. "We must go see Celeborn now. I...We will see you at the banquet.

Rumil stood next to Thranduil and bowed slightly to Legolas before he followed Thraduil. Legolas laughed and finished his hair before he went to find Aragorn and Haldir.




Aragorn, Haldir, and Galadriel stood in the middle of the empty ballroom glaring at their problem. The problem being a very stubborn squirrel that refused to leave his nest. Suddenly Haldir started laughing.

"The Great Lady Galadriel confounded by a small squirrel!"

Galadriel shok her head at her son but soon she was laughing also. Aragorn looked at the two of them and decided that they were unbalanced. Shaking his head he leaned a ladder against the wall, he climbed up untill he was face to face with the squirrel. He carefully picked up the nest and squirrel and he climbed down the ladder. He walked the squirell outside and deposited it in a new tree. The squirell squeaked as if to say thak you.

"What is the great king of Gondor doing in a tree?" came a laughing voice from below.

Aragorn looked down and saw Legolas looking up at him. "Talking to a squirell oh princeling of Mirkwood!" Aragorn jumped lightly to the ground beside one of his loves. "How do you fair today?"

"Fine!" Legolas kissed Aragorn lightly on the lips. "Come else Haldir will get jealous."

Laughing they went inside to greet Haldir.