Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

He heard voices, familar voices, he couldn't make out the words though. He felt somone softly stroking his hair. What was wrong with him? What had happened? His whole body ached, he longed to slip back into the quiet darkness. Slowly the voices cleared up he could hear and understand the words now.

"Why dosen't he wake?"

"Haldir, he is mortal. Unlike you or Legolas his body dosen't heal as fast." Galadriel said. "It is easy to forget that."

"What do you mean?"

"After the bonding we stitched up Legolas, you, and then Aragorn. He lost a lot of blood."

"Why wasn't I told of this before?"

"We knew how you'd react."

Aragorn forced his eyes open, he moaned the light was so bright. He was laying on his side behind Legolas, so they were spooning. His head was nestled among the soft, gold locks of Legolas's hair. Aragorn heard the soft rustle of fabric as Galadriel bent over him.

"Rest Estel. You lost a lot of blood." she smiled down at him.

"Legolas...." He managed to get out.

"Is fine, Haldir is fine. You are not, you need sleep." she admonished him.

"No....I am fine" Aragorn whispered as he tried to sit up. A pair of hands came from behind him and gently pushed him back down. Aragorn looked over his shoulder and saw Haldir smirking at him.

"As you once told Legolas, there are two of us and only one of you." Haldir said as he brushed the hair out of Aragorn's face. Aragorn didn't have the strength to argue, the darkness swirled around him and finaly pulled him under.




Haldir watched as Aragorn fell asleep, his hands carressing the young rangers face. He sighed and looked at Galadriel,

"He is so young compared to us." he whispered mostly to himself.

"Yes he is but..." Galadriel tralied off as a knock sounded at the door. She walked over and opened it. Thranduil stood there staring at the ground.

"I just wanted to know if my son was ok." he whispered, ignoring the glare Haldir gave him.

"He will be. Aragorn and Haldir saved him by bonding with him." Galadriel said as she took Thranduil by the arm and guided him inside. Thranduil stared at his only son for a minute.

"I am pleases that he is so loved. I do love him, in my attempts to keep him close I drove him away. I drove him to this. I love him so much." tears ran down Thranduil's face as silent sobs wracked his body. "I know he can never love me back. I have done him to much harm. He will never love me." Thranduil turned to leave the room.

"Your wrong." a soft voice said.

Galadriel, Haldir, and Thranduil turned toward the bed where they saw Legolas looking at them. He was pale and very tired but love and determination radiated from him. Thranduil sighed and shook his head, he walked over to his son.

"Rest Legolas, we will talk more later. Right now you need your strength. Rest my son." Thranduil leaned forward and kissed his son ont he forhead. Legolas smiled and snuggled closer to Aragorn before falllingback to sleep. Ignoring Haldir and Galadriel, Thranduil left the room. Outside he stood crying, What kind of father was he? How could he have treated his son like this? He was so wrapped up in his thoughts that he didn't hear Rumil approach.

"What ails you milord?" Rumil politely inquired

"Nothing young Rumil."Thranduil sighed he didn't know what to do anymore.

"Come milord, I know a privte place where we can talk. You look like you ned someone to talk to." Rumil insisted. Thranduil did not have the strength to argue. He let Rumil take him away.