Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Legolas woke the next morning slightly confused as to where he was. Then he remembered what he had done yesterday. He sighed he was sure that Haldir and Aragorn were upset, maybe even angry with him. Why couldn't he stop hurting the ones he loved? Suddenly a calm overcame him and he knew what he must do. Legolas quietly climbed out of bed and dressed, he walked into the adjoining room. He spied a tray of food on a table near the door, upon the tray were also eating implements. He picked up one of the small eating knives as he walked out the door. He walked until he reached a small clearing just paces from a small garden. He leaned up against a tree and pulled up both of his sleeves, he then unwound the bandage from his left arm. Legolas swiftly cut the stitches and healing flesh back open, then he slashed his right arm from wrist to elbow. The knife slipped out of his nerveless fingers, he closed his eyes and waited to die. Know that once he was gone his loved ones would move on.




A shrill scream brought Aragorn and Haldir to wakefulness, they realized that Legolas was gone. Jumping up they had almost reached the door when it burst open. A young maiden stood in front of them.

"Milord! Milord! Oh Valar help him milord! You must help him! Oh Valar!" the woman said on the verge of hysteria. "Down by the garden! Myandel went for Lady Galadriel but I fear she will be to late!"

Aragorn and Haldri ran out into the garden where they saw Legolas bleeding profusely from both arms, his pallor was a horrid shade of blue and grey. Galadriel and Celeborn were kneeling next to Legolas, they were trying to heal him.

Galadriel looked over at them, her beautiful face was full of sorrow. "Mandos calls to him. His spirit is to weak it resist it's call.....We can do nothing for him."

"No! There is a way and you know it milady." Haldir said "I will bond with him. I will bring him back to Middle Earth. It's the only way and you know it!" Haldir was desperate.

"It is the only but I do not know if it will work. His heart belongs to both of you. His soul has already chosen both of you. I do not know if he will awnser only one of you." Celeborn broke in.

"You mean we both have to bond with him?" Aragorn asked incredulous. He had never heard of such a thing!

"Yes. It can be done. It must be done if you wish to save him." Galadriel said.

Aragorn and Haldir nodded they would do this, Legolas could not die!

"Come let us away to the House of Healing." Celeborn said as he picked up Legolas and started walking. Behind him Galadriel, Aragorn, and Haldir followed.

"Has someone told Thranduil?" Haldir asked ignoring the dirty look Aragorn shot him.

"Aye. I sent Myandel he is waiting in the study for word. He knows to stay away, for is afraid of what you or Aragorn might do. After what Rumil did last night I don't blame him. You should know that he truly regrets what he has done." Galadriel stated.

Aragorn and Haldir said nothing as they made their way to the healers. Once there Celeborn laid Legolas down on a bed, he motioned for Aragorn and Haldir to lay on either side of the prince. Celeborn took a knife and held it in the fire for a second, before he cut Aragorn's palm. He placed Aragorn's hand over the gash on Legolas's right arm. He then cut Haldir's hand and laid it on Legolas's left arm. As their blood and life force flowed into the golden prince, Celeborn said a quick prayer that they would be strong enough to pull Legolas back. He hoped he had not committed the three of them to death. After many long tense minutes Legolas stirred and moaned, Galadriel sighed apparently the bonding had worked. They laid Aragorn and Haldir down next to Legolas making sure the three of them were touching.