Coranar 6. The Perfect Day by The Tired Scribe

As Elrond brushed himself off again in the evening dusk, he decided he would rather finish the delightful day of solitude in his study. Cleaning up for an appearance at dinner was just too much trouble tonight. He was at peace and rested in his soul after a lazy day, and had no intention of disturbing that state of mind now. Knowing that if he went anyplace near the Dining Hall that Erestor would introduce him to someone, or have some business in hand, so he took the side stairs to the kitchen instead.

After a long day in the fresh air he was starving, and the smells from the kitchen made his mouth water. Having shared his late lunch with the horses he had actually gone all day with nothing more than a few apples to snack on. He had preferred to keep his solitary day free from contact with people and had stayed away from the settled areas. He was mostly alone in the greenhouses when the students and greens men were at their noontime meal. He had managed the day's schedule to suit himself.

As he strolled down the hallway and turned into the pantry of the kitchen he was greeted by warm smiles and the question, "Well, Milord, are you dining with us in the kitchens tonight? What will your guests think?" Elrond held his hands out and shrugged, denying all responsibility for his guests, whoever they were. His appearance gained him several more witty comments and a general round of laughter at his expense.

As he washed his hands and face in the large pantry sink, a heaping plate was prepared for him and covered, and he took it and a bottle of wine with thanks and headed to his study. He could see himself with his feet stretched out to the fire, in his favorite oversized chair with lots of cushions, tucking into the wonderful food he could smell on the plate. He leaned forwards for a sniff. It would be the perfect end to his perfectly engineered day. He smiled and got a little shiver just thinking of it. Could he be so lucky?

The evening darkened as he climbed the winding stairs to his study and flickering lanterns lit the way. He set the plate down and lit a few more candles in the study. Gathering up bits of wood, he built up the fire. It was cool in the evenings now and he was spoiled and liked a fire at his feet anymore. Its warmth was not nearly as comforting as the crackle and snap it made, it was the sound of safety and home. It warmed his soul more than his feet.

He pulled his chair around until it was just so, located the small footstool and set it exactly where he wanted it, and he arranged the small table beside it with the bottle of wine and his favorite wine glass. It was a very old glass, tall stemmed and elegantly blown and etched, it was the last survivor of its set of twelve. Celebrian had favored these glasses and he remembered the sparkling design glimmering through her slender fingers.

He often protested he was not enamored of material things, but he had a fondness for this particular glass and the way the wine glinted through the design. A survivor of the ages, he felt a companionship with it. It was a beautiful fragile thing that had withstood years of hard knocks and rough handling intact. "Not unlike myself," he thought with a laugh.

He stood and rubbed his hands as he surveyed the scene with satisfaction, and he fetched his plate from the desk and settled into the cushions. He put his feet up and noted that fire was blazing away with just the right amount of color and sound. The broad arm of the chair was the perfect table for the plate and as he uncovered it, the meal was still steaming and the savory fragrances filled the air. His favorite sauces pooled around the vegetables and other delicacies and he poured a glass of the wine. Sitting back with eyes closed he took a sip. In the silence the fire crackled and the wine was cool and flavorful as it slid over his tongue. This was bliss. Pure bliss.

He heard Lindefal and Erestor arguing outside the study, and footsteps behind him. "Why weren't you at dinner?" he heard Erestor's voice across the room. He closed his eyes and took another sip. Maybe they would go away.