Broken by Laur Melyanna

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes: This was written for Charlie, who 'claimed' the prompt "Broken" to a certain challenge I signed up for. Whoever knows me should be jumping and doing the hula dance after they read this. It was hard, but given the incentive, I made it! You know what I mean. Hope you like it Charlie ^^.
Beta: Nikkiling my sweet dear, of course! Lol And Charlie pointed out very helpful things too.

Followed by Fixed.
Glorfindel stared at the shattered pieces of fissile wood. It was broken. His last token of his dead love. The very last thing.

After returning to life he had never hoped to have anything to remember Ecthelion by but his very memory, until he had been presented with this last remaint. The blond's belongings had been saved for uncountable centuries by the last survivor of the fall of Gondolin that had chosen not to sail west. They had met; it was all a distant moment now. Within his belongings had been a small figure crafted in wood. How he remembered when it had been made.

They had been awake for nights and his Ecthelion had this unchangeable mania to carve things when he was bored; it could be with his very nails, but gladly he had a dagger. The only piece of available wood had been old and wet, a very frail and thin piece that only served to make a hollow miniature. And it had survived millennia to comfort Glorfindel's mind in this life, of an old soul and a new body. And now it was broken.

Not even journeys and battles had been able to wash away his last memory. And now a gust of wind had the last precious thing of his life broken in pieces.

It was the saddest sight Erestor had ever been witness of in all his long years. That powerful body crumbling down to the floor in a heap of sobs and trembling muscles. Glorfindel cried bitter tears that made his heart break just from the painful sound of his lamentation. The golden warrior, so strong before the most cruel torture, was breaking before him.

The advisor gracefully fell to his knees and took that shaking mass of elf into his arms, caressing his back soothingly, brushing back the soft hair from his damp cheeks.

"Calm down, please. Don't cry like this..." He whispered softly, his own voice sounding almost pained. His firm and calm voice, now unable to mask the sympathy he felt for the other's sorrow. But it went beyond that.

"It's broken, Erestor. Broken. I do not having anything now. Nothing to remember him. Nothing." Glorfindel accepted the comfortable embrace of his friend, sighing deeply as he rested his head against Erestor's broad shoulders. He saw and felt his tears dampen the advisor's dark hair and pale robes. The air hung heavy around them as well as inside his aching lungs.

"Maybe its time, Glorfindel. It's time that this tie was broken...to free you" The reasonable elf whispered softly, placing a gentle kiss to the top of the warrior's head. "It is time you set him free. It is time you are set free. It's for the best, my friend, I promise."

He felt a head shake against his shoulder, reluctant to accept his words. "But I do not want to be free. He is what ties me to life...what made me go on"

"No...no, my friend, he was what tied you to death. Let him rest free of guilt for holding you back like that. It will get better. Your heart will mend. I will help you, I promise" The black haired elf whispered, holding Glorfindel a little tighter, almost possessively, to make sure nothing in the world would harm his broken friend.

His heart seemed to unclench and let his body breath normally again when the blond's large eyes met his. He looked so young with tears clinging to the very feature that still bound innocence to his face, despite all he had been through. "You promise me, Erestor?"

"I promise you. I will mend your heart. It will not be broken again. I promise"

Glorfindel did not smile, but something seemed to unlock in his face, and even that placid look of sudden reassurance that took over his features seemed like a beaming smile to Erestor.

"You always keep your promises" He noted with hope underlying his words.

Erestor finally allowed himself to smile fully. "Yes, I do". His arms tightened around Glorfindel for long moments before they gathered the broken pieces of wood. That night they watched it burn in the fire place.