Like a Moth to a Flame by Oshun

Printer


Summary: This is a coming-of-age romance featuring Finrod and Caranthir. It contains two boys, FinwĂ«an family dynamics, and cultural differences. It is a character-centered story, including a cross-country trip, a village fair with local color, and a tarot card reading. These two young men explore a mysterious and powerful gift that they share. Written for the Tarot challenge as part the Library of Moria celebration of the International Day of Slash 2015, the story is months late now—but better late than never. Thank you, Ignoble Bard, for being so patient of a Beta for me and reading this so many times.
Rating: Teenage Audience [Reviews - 2]
Category: FPS
Characters: Caranthir, Finrod
Type: Romance/Drama
Warning: First-time
Challenge: None
Series: None
Chapter: 7 | Completed: Yes | Words: 14629 | Read: 10802
Published: November 28, 2015 | Updated: November 28, 2015


Story notes: First the Names:

Quenya - Sindarin

Aikanáro - Aegnor
Angaráto - Angrod
ArafinwĂ« – Finarfin
Findaráto/Ingo - Finrod Felagund
Findekáno/Finno - Fingon
haru – grandfather
Maitimo/ Nelyo - Maedhros
—oldĂłran – nickname OlwĂ« uses for FinwĂ«
Nolofinwë - Fingolfin
Tyelkormo - Celegorm
yonya - son


Author’s Notes:

Recently, I have not stolen as much from Dawn Felagund’s Another Man’s Cage as I did in my early years of writing the FinwĂ«ans, but in this story I return to my roots again. It was Dawn’s invention that Caranthir had an excess of the telepathic communication of thoughts (sanwe-latya, "thought-opening" in Quenya or osanwe-kenta in Sindarin) available to many of the Eldar, along with the additional gift or curse of foresight.

Lastly, I have no pretentions to knowing how to read tarot cards; the raw information on the meaning of the tarot cards I was given for inspiration was taken from the following website: http://www.keen.com/articles/tarot/king-of-swords-tarot-card.

1. Prologue by Oshun [Reviews - 1] (306 words)
“. . . the Perilous Realm is perilous. Those who have travelled to it . . . know they will not be allowed to stay there, but when they come back, they are overwhelmed by a sense of loss.” --Tolkien, Tales from the Perilous Realm.

“Men are rather reasoning than reasonable animals, for the most part governed by the impulse of passion.” --Alexander Hamilton.

2. Of Feasts and Fish by Oshun [Reviews - 0] (1041 words)

3. A Starlit Sea by Oshun [Reviews - 0] (2632 words)

4. The Road Trip by Oshun [Reviews - 0] (2189 words)

5. Auguries and Dreams by Oshun [Reviews - 0] (5393 words)

6. At the Inn for the Night by Oshun [Reviews - 0] (1802 words)

7. Postscipt by Oshun [Reviews - 1] (1266 words)