Special Mischief by Kathryn Ramage

The next morning, while Sam went to find Robin Smallburrows and report what he and Frodo had discovered, Frodo walked over to the Old Baggins Place to call on his cousins. Milo and Peony Burrows were both at home, and Frodo thought it best to consult them before he questioned their eldest son.

"I hope you're wrong, Frodo," Peony said once she'd heard the reasons for Frodo's suspicions. "Mosco's been so well-behaved lately. I'd hate to think he's taken up with those two again. And to do such a thing! You weren't here to see poor Ponto the day he came, covered with that awful orange muck. Aunt Dora still talks about it. Since she's heard that there've been others, she's afraid to go out of the house."

"If he does have a part in it, he'll be in for a paddling," Milo promised ominously. "He knows we don't approve of him running about with Sancho and Will, but when has a parent's disapproval ever stopped a mischievous lad from doing as he pleased?" He went to the sitting-room window and shouted out: "Mosco! Mosco-lad! Come in here, right away."

The boy had been playing atop the smial with his brother Moro, but came inside at his father's summons. "What is it, Poppa? Oh, hullo, Uncle Frodo." Mosco grew suddenly shy. "Did you want to see me?"

"I came to ask you about something very serious, Mosco," Frodo answered him. "You must've heard that some mischief-makers have been flinging pumpkins at people over the hedgerows. Everyone seems certain it's Sancho Proudfoot and Will Chubb, but I've found something that makes me think there's another boy involved, a younger lad-"

"It wasn't me, Uncle Frodo! I didn't have nothing to do with it. I wouldn't--I promised Father I wouldn't go about with Sancho and Will and get into trouble." Mosco turned with pleading eyes to his father. "He said if I did, then he wouldn't let me ride Fleetfoot in the races anymore."

"That's right," Milo confirmed. "We made a bargain."

"And I've kept to it, Father, honestly!" the boy insisted. "The races are more fun than anything Will and Sancho ever got up to."

If Mosco's earnestness wasn't enough to convince Frodo of his innocence, then there was another, more solid fact to seal it: the boy's feet were too large to fit the footprint Frodo had found last night.

After Frodo had thanked the Burrowses and was on his way out of the house, he considered this puzzle. It couldn't be Mosco. What about Moro? He was only twelve. The younger boy was sitting above the front door, waiting for his brother. His feet were dangling over the facade; a single glance upwards told Frodo that Moro's feet were also too large. The child involved in the pumpkin flinging must be very young and small indeed. As small as little Minto? Or Myrtle?

Frodo stopped at the gate to the Old Place as he remembered the three little girls scurrying away when he and Sam had visited the Chubbs yesterday. He thought of the way they had shrieked and giggled. That high-pitched laugh...

He turned and went back toward the house; Milo and Mosco were just coming out and looked confused, even when he explained, "I have to talk to Peony."

Peony, who still in the sitting-room, was surprised to see him again so soon. Frodo's first question puzzled her even more. "Peony? Your daughter Myrtle usually plays with the Chubb girls, doesn't she?"

"Florrie and Dolly? Yes, of course--you know that, Frodo. They're her best friends."

"Do you know where they play? They don't always stay here or at the Chubbs' home?"

"Goodness no. They run all over the fields between here and Hobbiton."

"Do they stay out after dark?"

"All the children know they must be home in time for dinner," said Peony, not seeing the point to all these questions but willing to answer. "She and Minto aren't old enough to be out and about after dark, but the sun sets so early at this time of year."

"Has Myrtle never been late? What about last night?"

"She was a little late, but not so that we worried. She and her brothers were all in the house before the rain began."

"Were her feet wet? Before the rain."

Peony laughed. "What an odd thing to ask, Frodo! But, yes. She left wet footprints in the front hall. She said she'd been wading in the creek. What-?"

"I have another odd question, Peony. Is Myrtle especially clever with mechanical things? Or are either of the Chubb girls? I can ask Ruby that as well, if you don't know."

"My Myrtle is clever at needlework and weaving. Aunt Dora's been teaching her. She made me a lovely willow-bark basket for her last birthday. Dolly and Florinda- I don't know. Frodo, what is this all about?" Peony looked even more perplexed, then she understood why he was asking such strange questions about her daughter. "Oh, Frodo, no! You must be joking. They couldn't- They're little girls!"

Frodo began to explain his thoughts, when he and Peony heard the front gate creak open, followed by a familiar voice asking for him and Milo's reply, "Yes, Frodo's inside, Sam, and being as peculiar as he always is. Go right in."

A moment later, Sam appeared in the sitting-room doorway and Frodo rose to meet him.

"I know who it is, Sam! Peony doesn't believe me, but I know I'm right. That laugh we heard last night--It was a girl, not a boy. It was Myrtle's footprint we saw. She had to wash the pumpkin-muck off her feet before she came home."

"Little Myrtle?" Sam said, as amazed as Peony.

"Yes, she, and Florrie and Dolly Chubb are the mischief-makers we've been looking for. We have to find them." Frodo turned back to Peony. "Do you know where they are today?"

"Myrtle went over to the Chubbs' just after breakfast," Peony answered. "Frodo, are you quite certain of this? Myrtle's never been in any trouble before, but if the Chubb girls have picked up some mischief from their brother and taught it to her-" She made a fluttering motion with her hands. "Well, if you find her, bring her back here to us. She's too young to be in the hands of the law, and if what you say is true, it's better that Milo and I deal with her misbehavior."