Switch by Morgana

Legolas dashed into the kitchen and asked the cook if he could have some hot water to make tea. Next, he opened the box that held Elrond's special potion to soothe Glorfindel's nerves and waited for the water to come to a boil. So concentrated was he on his task at hand that he barely noticed the dark-haired Elf seated at the kitchen table.

"Good morning, Legolas. It seems you have arrived earlier than I expected."

Surprised, Legolas turned around. "Forgive me, Lord Counselor, I hadn't noticed your presence."

Glorfindel studied his lover, instantly recognizing the soft, pink hue that settled over Legolas' face whenever they had made love. You thought you were making love to me, but it was Erestor. He should feel cross with his lover, but couldn't pull it off. Legolas didn't know about Lórien's interference. And in the end, Legolas would be his again. Provided Lórien returns us to our own bodies! He sincerely hoped that he wasn't stuck in Erestor's body for all eternity!

The water had come to the boil and the cook handed Legolas a pot filled with the hot liquid. Legolas accepted, thankfully, and pushed the sachets filled with herbs into the water. "Yes, I arrived early."

Glorfindel leaned back, nursing his warm tea. "You look worried though."

Legolas looked Erestor in the eye, uncertain if the advisor knew about his liaison with Glorfindel. "The twins fed Glorfindel too much miruvor and..."

Glorfindel shifted on the chair. "And now you are making him herbal tea? He is very lucky to have you to care for him." The blush that spread over Legolas' face was most charming and Glorfindel cursed Lórien for putting him in Erestor's body. All he wanted was to bend Legolas over the table and claim his lover, confirming their relationship, but he couldn't.

"I found him intoxicated last night. He was rather... drunk," explained Legolas.

And you took advantage of his state, no doubt there. Legolas' sexual appetite had always been most welcome, but now Glorfindel felt jealous of Erestor, who had made love to Legolas last night.

"When he woke this morning he... panicked," said Legolas, uncertain if he could and should confide in the advisor. "I think he had another nightmare about Gondolin and losing Ecthelion. He wouldn't even let me touch him at first."

Glorfindel began to understand. "Just how awake was Glorfindel when you joined him last night?" He hoped Legolas had been gentle with poor Erestor!

Legolas raised an eyebrow, inquisitively. "And why is that any of your concern?"

"Just being curious," mumbled Glorfindel, chuckling softly. "You had better take that tea to Glorfindel before his headache becomes worse."

"You are right. I should." Although Erestor's behavior was rather odd, Legolas paid it no more attention. He placed a cup and the teapot on a tray and left the kitchen, eager to see his lover drink the herbal tea.

Glorfindel closed his eyes briefly, trying to control himself, but then burst out laughing. "Oh, poor Erestor!" He chuckled, shook his head and tried to picture Erestor's reaction when he had found out what had happened during the night. "No wonder he panicked!" However, he sobered quickly, recalling the journal. He had read most of the diary and never had there been any mention of a lover, which would make Erestor a virgin. "Oh, Legolas, I do hope you were gentle!"




"Erestor acted most odd when I spoke with him in the kitchen," said Legolas, upon entering the bedroom. Glorfindel had apparently already finished his bath, as the blond sat in front of the dresser, wrapped in several large towels. Legolas placed the tray onto the dresser and poured his lover a cup. "I never know what to make of his comments."

Erestor had been looking in the mirror, marveling at his reflection and Legolas' words hadn't registered with him at first. "Whose comments?" He nodded, thankfully, when Legolas handed him the herbal tea. As it was still too hot, he blew onto the surface, hoping to cool it down. A strand of still damp hair tumbled in front of his face and he pushed it back beneath the towel, which he had slung around his head.

"Erestor's." Legolas removed the towel and used his long fingers to comb his lover's hair.

"Erestor's?" Erestor didn't know what stunned him more; the fact that Legolas had already talked to Glorfindel or that the Woodland Elf was attending to his hair. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like?" Legolas chuckled softly and took hold of the comb. With infinite tenderness he untangled the golden mane.

No one has ever done this for me, thought Erestor, dazed. The feel of Legolas' fingers moving through his hair was strange, but at the same time very pleasurable.

"I was saying that Erestor confuses me," repeated Legolas, going back to their original topic. "I doubt our relationship is still a secret. Even Erestor knows we are together."

Erestor's eyes widened. "What did he say?" How much had Legolas told Glorfindel? And how had the Balrog Slayer reacted to finding out what had happened between the sheets last night?

"Why are you growing tense?" Legolas frowned. "Do you think he disapproves? I didn't get that impression and even if he does, does it matter what he thinks?"

"That's not it," said Erestor, softly. Legolas' eyes revealed discomfort and Erestor reacted instinctively. This was the first time that someone was so close, so caring – even though Legolas thought he was Glorfindel. The close contact – the intimacy between them – was causing changes within Erestor. "Your happiness is the only thing that matters to me."

Legolas smiled, warmly. "Oh, I knew there was a reason why I fell in love with you." Leaning in closer, he kissed the top of his lover's hair. "Here, you are all done. Get dressed and I will join you in a few minutes." Legolas disrobed and walked toward the bathtub.

Chastely, Erestor averted his eyes, feeling like a voyeur for looking at Legolas when he was naked, even in spite of what had transpired last night. Had I been sober things would have gone differently. I would have put a stop to it. But then he would have missed out on this divine experience! Legolas was an excellent lover, and Erestor blushed, recalling last night's teasing licks and nibbling. And Glorfindel knows... That thought worried him most. But then again, Glorfindel had apparently acted in character, pretending to be him. How cross is he with me? Erestor wasn't eager to find out, but knew it was impossible to avoid Glorfindel for long.




"I would rather stay with you," admitted Legolas, who was once more fully dressed, "But I need to greet Lord Elrond." Word of his arrival had spread by now and he had to be courteous and correct. He couldn't simply dismiss the ruler of Imladris in favor of his lover. And Glorfindel did look better since he'd had his tea. "But I will return here as quickly as possible."

Erestor felt guilty for worrying Legolas. "I neglected my duties already, Legolas. I doubt I will be able to see you again until after dinner." That was, if he was still alive by then. He had no idea how Glorfindel would react when finding out he had made love to Legolas. "Don't worry about me."

"I can't help worrying about you," whispered Legolas, "I love you."

Erestor felt utterly lost, looking into Legolas' hooded eyes. Glorfindel, you have no idea how lucky you are! Realizing Legolas was waiting for confirmation, he said, "And I love you too, Legolas." His words resulted in another passionate kiss, delivered by Legolas onto his already swollen lips.

"I will come to your bed tonight," announced the Woodland Elf with a wicked gleam in his eyes. "Don't drink any miruvor... or wine. I want you conscious tonight."

I will be conscious all right, promised Erestor, privately. There won't be a repeat performance of last night. Strangely enough, he regretted that.




Glorfindel looked up from behind his desk when Erestor shuffled inside. Lindir had left some moments ago to carry the latest reports to Elrond and he was thankful that they were alone. The advisor didn't even dare look him in the eye, which was very disconcerting. "Erestor?" His fingers itched to push the golden hair out of Erestor's face, so he could see the Elf's facial expression, but Erestor lingered in the doorway, almost afraid to enter.

"I would ask for your forgiveness if I were worthy of it," whispered Erestor in a guilty tone, unable to meet Glorfindel's gaze.

Glorfindel rose from his chair, displeased to see the normally composed and controlled advisor act so ashamed. It was even more upsetting because Erestor was in his body. Glorfindel wasn't used to see himself in such a submissive way. "Erestor, please come over and sit down before you faint."

Erestor quickly looked at Glorfindel, but then stared at the floor again. Dragging his feet behind him, he eventually came to a standstill in front of his desk. He should be sitting there, working on reports and requests, not Glorfindel! "Legolas told you."

"Yes, he did." Glorfindel walked around the desk and came to a halt in front of Erestor, who instantly took a step away from him. "Don't. I am not cross with you." Azure eyes unexpectedly met his and were filled with questions. "We need to talk." He placed his hand on the green tunic Erestor was wearing and steered him to the couch beneath the window. "Sit down, Erestor."

Erestor complied, but still moved away from Glorfindel to make certain there was some distance between them. He used the long, blond hair as a shield when he allowed it to fall in front of his face, and waited for Glorfindel to address him.

"You didn't braid your hair," remarked Glorfindel, "Move over here." When Erestor didn't comply, Glorfindel wrapped an arm around the advisor's shoulder and pulled him close. Although Erestor – inside a warrior's well-trained body – could have resisted, the advisor didn't, and meekly allowed it. Whilst his fingers were busy putting warrior's braids into the fair hair, Glorfindel tried to calm Erestor down. "Erestor, I don't blame you."

"You don't?" Erestor's words were barely audible, but the tension that had caused this paralysis lessened slightly. "But you should. I didn't stop him."

Glorfindel finished one braid and started the next. Cocking his head, he managed to make eye contact with the other Elf. The large, sapphire eyes revealed fear and guilt. "The twins fed you miruvor. Why did you drink it?"

"I have seen you drink a few glasses occasionally. I didn't want them to become suspicious." Erestor slowly began to relax now that Glorfindel continued to work on the braids. "I hardly ever drink and I had too much. The twins dragged me to your rooms and when Legolas appeared... I thought he was a dream." Shame-faced, he lowered his eyes again. "I thought he was a sweet vision, which Lórien had sent to comfort me. It didn't occur to me that it was really happening." Giving Glorfindel a shy look, he added, "I didn't even know you were lovers."

"Ah, yes, I wanted to warn you, but I didn't get the time to do so." Glorfindel had finished the last braid and now smiled, ruefully. "Are you afraid of me, Erestor?"

"Not exactly afraid," explained Erestor, "But what I did is unforgivable."

"What exactly did you do?" Glorfindel leaned back into the comfort of the couch. "Tell me. Did you instigate making love?" Panicked blue eyes met his, confirming his suspicions.

"No! I was asleep! I thought he was a dream!" Erestor wrung his hands. "When he kissed me I thought he was a dream! When he took himself I... I..." Oh, that was more than he had wanted to reveal! "I have never... Legolas was... First time... I..." He had better stop talking! He was only making this worse!

Glorfindel drew in a deep breath, raised a hand, and placed it gently beneath Erestor's chin, lifting the face so the advisor had to look at him. Staring into familiar azure eyes, Glorfindel smiled encouragingly. "Legolas was your first."

Erestor's eyes expressed complete shock. "How do you know that?"

"I found your journal.

"What?" Erestor almost jumped to his feet, but Glorfindel quickly grabbed him by the shoulder, keeping him in place. "You had no right to read it! It's private!"

"I had to, Erestor. I had to know who you are love with. How else am I going to fix this?" Glorfindel leaned in closer and his hand shifted from Erestor's shoulder to his neck, burying itself in the golden hair. "Listen very carefully, Erestor. I don't blame last night on you. I know what Legolas is like when he has been away for a year, deprived of any intimacy. You never stood a chance. Don't feel guilty about something you had no control over."

"I never thought you would say that!" He had come here fully convinced that Glorfindel would have his hide. The last thing he had expected was understanding and compassion. "It is true though... Legolas was quite... persuasive and I was in no condition to stop him."

Glorfindel's grin became predatorily. "Did you at least enjoy it? Legolas did take your virginity, my friend." Erestor grew flustered and Glorfindel smiled sweetly. "Blushing becomes me... uh, you... us? Damn, this is confusing! We should have a word with Lórien for putting us in this position!"

Glorfindel's bantering reassured Erestor that the warrior wasn't that cross with him after all. "I have to take the blame for that one as well. You are in my body because I... Because..."

Tenderly, Glorfindel ran a fingertip along the other Elf's strong jaw line. "I hope you enjoyed it, Erestor. See it as a gift."

"Hum, we have a problem though," said Erestor softly. "Legolas already told me he would come to my bed tonight and this time he wants me sober. What do I do?"

Glorfindel chuckled. "I should feel jealous, but for some reason I don't! It would be different if Legolas knew he was cheating on me, but he doesn't know I am you... you are me... Damn it!"

"But what do I do? What if he wants to do 'it' again?" He looked at Glorfindel, pleadingly. "I can't do that again!"

"You will have to improvise," said Glorfindel, still chuckling. "Though I suggest you make sure you are on top. I wouldn't advise you to let Legolas take you. You lack experience in being on the bottom, my dear."

Beet-red, Erestor pinched his eyes shut. "I didn't hear that!"

"You did. Denial won't help you!" Glorfindel studied Erestor, and couldn't help worrying. "Or were you saving yourself for Elrond?"

Azure eyes opened with a start. "I... No... I just never thought that there would never be a first time for me."

Saddened, Glorfindel curled his fingers around Erestor's trembling ones. "I couldn't be cross with you even if I wanted to. No one should remain alone for so long, Erestor. Even though Legolas thought he was making love to me, I hope he paid proper attention to you."

"It was perfect," said Erestor, quickly reassuring Glorfindel. "But I still feel guilty."

"You have no reason to feel guilty. Knowing Legolas, he took the initiative and left you little choice in the matter." Erestor nodded and Glorfindel continued, eager to redirect the advisor's attention. "Whilst you were being devoured by Legolas, I was entertaining Elrond in your rooms."

Erestor involuntarily moved closer to Glorfindel. "Yes, I heard about that, but I don't know what to make of it."

"He likes you too," said Glorfindel, carefully squeezing Erestor's fingers. "He likes you a lot!"

"I don't believe it!" Excitedly, Erestor's fingers returned the squeeze. "How can that be?"

"He kissed your hand, Erestor, well, mine actually... Argh! You understand what I am trying to tell you! Maybe I should demonstrate?" Bringing Erestor's hand to his lips, he first kissed the palm and then the back. "And we are having dinner again tonight – in your rooms. In privacy."

"But he said he could never love again! That his heart was dead and that Celebrían would always be his true love!" Erestor shook his head fervently. "You must have misunderstood!"

"I didn't misunderstand!" said Glorfindel, indignantly, "I know it when someone is flirting with me!"

"Flirting? Elrond? With you?" Was that good? "Elrond doesn't flirt. Certainly not with you... uh, me... Us?" Yes, this was confusing!

"He was flirting," stressed Glorfindel, "And he was flirting with Erestor, not me."

"But you are me!"

"Are you being this dense on purpose?" Glorfindel frowned. "Why are you fighting this?" Then realization set in. "You don't want to get your hopes up."

"It is hard to believe that Elrond could be attracted to me," admitted Erestor in a choked voice. "It is safer not to hope."

"That's exactly the attitude that got us into trouble with Lórien." Glorfindel carefully rested the palm of his hand against Erestor's face -- his face. He had never before seen such a vulnerable expression in his azure eyes. "Elrond likes you, Erestor. There is attraction on his part as well. He practically beamed with love last night. I am reading the signs correctly, trust me."

"It is hard for me to trust – anyone, not just you." Seeing Glorfindel's puzzled look, he tried to explain. "The only people I ever trusted are Elrond and Lindir. And before you say anything, yes, I learned to trust you too, but that's different. Elrond, Lindir and I fought side-by-side. We watched each other's back, saved one another's life -- more than once."

"Go on." Glorfindel felt honored that Erestor was opening up. He knew how hard this was on the advisor, and that this took a lot of trust on Erestor's part.

"When we settled down here, Lindir decided he had done enough fighting and dedicated himself to his music. Elrond, battle-weary himself, became a wise ruler and an excellent poet, and I? I was content to sit at his side and enjoy the few intimate moments we shared."

"But you always wanted more."

"In the beginning I did. But then Celebrían appeared."

"And you were so close to telling him!" Glorfindel shook his head. "I am sorry, Erestor, but I read that particular entry."

Erestor shrugged, resigning himself to the situation. "My hope crumbled to nothing on their wedding day."

"But Celebrían has left and Elrond is available again. And he is lonely too, Erestor. You fooled yourself into believing that he doesn't care about you when he does. Because I am you, I need to proceed slowly with Elrond, but if I threw caution to the wind, I am certain I would have him in your bed tonight. He loves you, Erestor. You should have seen the look in his eyes last night. He didn't want to leave."

"I am afraid to hope... I am too afraid to believe you," whispered Erestor, dazed. "The idea that the attraction might be mutual is..."

"Overwhelming," supplied Glorfindel, "Erestor, I wasn't pleased when I found out what Lórien had done, but I am beginning to understand why he did it. Elrond and you need to stop pretending and admit the truth. You could make each other very happy, Erestor."

"Do you really think so? Do you really think Elrond and I stand a chance? That he really, really likes me?"

Glorfindel smiled, warmly, surprised that he had never noticed Erestor's insecurity before. "Really, Erestor." Caressing soft, facial skin with his thumb, he smiled encouragingly. "And before I forget, Lindir knows."

"What?"

"That I am you and that you are me." Glorfindel briefly closed his eyes. "I hate this."

"I am not surprised," said Erestor, honestly. "Lindir and I have known each other for a long time. He would notice."

"He has agreed to remain silent for now. I have the feeling that he is also hoping Elrond and you will get together." Glorfindel finally released Erestor from his touch and began to rise from the couch. "Can you help me balance these books? Elrond wants a report at noon and I have no idea what to do, and now that the twins took your place, leading the patrol, I thought—"

"Oh, darn! I completely forgot! I am supposed to lead today's patrol!" Frustrated, Erestor got to his feet as well. "What do I do now?"

"The twins took your place, so don't worry about that. Just proceed with the training sessions."

"I will help you balance the books," said Erestor, but then recalled something Glorfindel had mentioned earlier. "Elrond and you are having a private dinner again? Tonight?"

Glorfindel walked back to his chair and sat down, pulling the books in front of him. "Yes, you heard correctly."

"And what do you plan on doing? You aren't going to... to seduce him, are you?" Erestor gasped softly.

"No, not yet, but it is about time we took the next step." Glorfindel looked Erestor in the eye. "Remember I am doing this for you! I have no desire to kiss Elrond... That act does nothing for me. I want to be with Legolas... I will think of Legolas when kissing Elrond. If you weren't being so difficult you would be doing the kissing yourself..."

"You are going to kiss Elrond?" Wide-eyed, Erestor stared at Glorfindel.

"No, you are!" Exasperated, Glorfindel shook his head. "Like Legolas kissed me, you are going to kiss Elrond."

"My head reels."

"Join the club. Mine spins." Glorfindel sighed deeply. "Are you going to help me with these accounts or not?"

"I will help," said Erestor, pulling up a chair. After being quiet for a moment, he said, "Thank you for not being cross with me. I never wanted to come between Legolas and you."

"I know that and you didn't. You aren't responsible for the mess we are in. Lórien is." Glorfindel gave him a reassuring look. "We will sort this out. I promise everyone will be happy in the end."

"How can you make such a promise?"

"I slew a Balrog and returned from the Halls of Waiting, didn't I? I know these things," Glorfindel said, smugly.

"Silly Elf," mumbled Erestor, softly, but he was smiling at the same time. Somehow, Glorfindel had managed to convince him that everything would work out.