Switch by Morgana

Blinking once...twice... And consciousness was regained. Erestor blinked for a third time, confused by this curtain of dark hair hovering above him. "What?" The sound of that smooth, golden voice reminded him of what had happened and he began to tremble, realizing who had to be looming over him. "Glor..."

"That name is hardly appropriate any more," teased Glorfindel, chuckling at Erestor's shocked response, which consisted of a high shriek and more trembling.

Erestor jumped away from Glorfindel, clutching the nightshirt as if his life depended on it. Golden hair obscured his face as he scooted toward the foot end, trying to put as much distance as possible between them. "I..." Stuttering, his words deserted him.

"What did you do, Erestor?" Glorfindel leaned his back against the head board, surprised to find Erestor this terrified of him. Why was that? The blond Elf, kneeling at the foot end, trembled over his entire body and a hand nervously clawed the sheet. "Erestor?"

Shyly, Erestor peeked at Glorfindel through a waterfall of fair hair. "I cannot believe this." He had seen his reflection in full-sized mirrors, but that didn't compare to seeing Glorfindel comfortably seated on the bed. The raven hair was braided – no warrior's braids, he noticed, for which he was grateful – and Glorfindel had chosen those horrid green robes to wear. Erestor himself would never be caught dead in them. They did absolutely nothing for him. The green only made his skin look paler and his hair even blacker. "I don't understand this, Glorfindel."

Glorfindel couldn't help himself and played with the end of a braid, looking quizzically at the dark hair. "Glorfindel... Uh! Not really." He then gave Erestor a stunning smile. "We need to talk about this."

That smile took Erestor aback. Had he ever seen that particular expression on his face before? He seldom smiled, but that was mostly due to the fact that his heart wasn't happy. His heart yearned for Elrond – a goal he could never attain.

Blond locks tumbled into his face playfully, and Erestor smoothed them back behind an ear. The first thing he should do was put in braids to keep the wild mane in check. "I don't know what happened."

Glorfindel had the strangest feeling, looking at himself, and hearing his voice float through the room whilst Erestor was talking. Although he wanted to discuss this in depth, he also realized he wouldn't get far with an intimidated Erestor. Slowly, he inched closer to the advisor, until they were sitting next to each other, their backs leaning against the high foot end. Experimentally, Glorfindel placed his hand on Erestor's. The long scribe's fingers made a nice contrast with the warrior's more robust ones.

Surprised at the touch, Erestor looked at Glorfindel, who was now rubbing his fingers between his fingertips. "I really didn't do this!" Tears unexpectedly flowed from the azure eyes and Erestor raised his free hand to wipe them away.

Glorfindel cringed. "Erestor..." His sapphire eyes had only shed tears once and that had been when Ecthelion had died. They had remained dry since. "Don't cry. I don't blame you for this."

"You don't?" Erestor stared at Glorfindel in a daze. "You don't? But..." He grew silent when Glorfindel smoothed the tears away, using the corner of the sheet. Staring at Glorfindel, he easily found the true essence of the warrior in those dark, brown eyes. The eyes are mine; the facial features are mine, but the fëa that inhabits my body is definitely Glorfindel's.

Seeing more tears lurking in the depths of the intensely azure eyes pained Glorfindel. "Why are you crying, Erestor?" Acting on instinct, he wrapped an arm around the shaky advisor. This feels most odd, wrapping an arm around my own body. But it wasn't his body for the time being; Erestor inhabited it.

"I know you blame me for this!" Erestor didn't dare make eye contact and hid behind the golden hair. "But I didn't do it! When I woke up, I... I fainted due to the shock! I didn't do this!"

Glorfindel recognized the frantic, panicky tone his voice had taken on and knew he had to soothe the other Elf. "Erestor, I was merely wondering if you knew why this is happening."

Erestor shook his head, making the golden strands gently caress his face. The sensation was most odd. The fair strands felt different from his black mane. "It is almost like silk."

Glorfindel raised an eyebrow. "What is?"

"Your hair."

"My hair?"

Erestor would have thought seeing that raised eyebrow on his own face funny, but the situation called for seriousness. "Yes, your hair is like silk. Mine must feel coarse compared to yours."

The conversation was taking a strange turn, but Glorfindel allowed it. Running a hand through the dark mane, he rubbed the strands between his fingertips, exploring its texture. "It isn't coarse, Erestor. It's soft." To his utter surprise, a blush formed on the other Elf's face. Now there is another first. Glorfindel had never seen a blush on his own face before, and had to admit it added to his charms considerably. I must blush more frequently once I am back in my body!

"Hm, Glorfindel? Why are you staring at me like that?"

"It is not every day one gets to study oneself," said Glorfindel, chuckling. "But we need to discuss this seriously and set up a plan of action."

"What action?" Erestor pulled his knees up to his chest, trying to get used to the feel of this new body. Glorfindel's legs were longer than his and everything felt out of tune.

Glorfindel's brow furrowed and he brushed back his raven hair behind a pointed ear. "You didn't do this. Neither did I. That leaves only the Valar, or one of the Istari."

"Mithrandir would never do such a thing," said Erestor, thinking along, "And the Valar never meddled in the affairs of the Firstborn before. Why would they start now?"

Glorfindel's chocolate brown eyes narrowed. "I doubt they are meddling with my life. I am perfectly happy."

"You were perfectly happy," whispered Erestor in a miserable voice. "Then I ruined it."

"You didn't ruin it. Stop blaming yourself!" Glorfindel tenderly rubbed the fingers which still rested in the palm of his hand. It was so strange to be touching himself in this way! "I have the feeling one of the Valar is meddling with your life."

"Why? Who?" Erestor sat a little more upright, finally finding the courage to look deeply into the dark eyes. He shook his head, momentarily, realizing he was looking into his own eyes.

"Lórien," said Glorfindel, eventually, "I had a dream about him last night. The only thing I remember was him saying that I had volunteered to help." Erestor's stunned expression made him explain further. "It is fairly obvious that you are unhappy, Erestor, and that you are slowly withering away. The Elven Sickness might not have taken hold of you yet, but you are only one step away from fading. Maybe Lórien had enough of your stalling?"

Erestor's azure eyes widened. "Oh no, you can't be serious!"

"I am serious," said Glorfindel, sincerely. "That means I am in your body to make certain you and the one you love get together." He inched closer to the obviously intimidated advisor. "Care to tell me who this Elf is? That would make it easier on me."

Erestor shook his head frantically. "No, I can't tell you!"

Glorfindel had the feeling he might find out the answer to that question himself. "Erestor, listen carefully. I doubt anyone will believe us when we tell them. I suspect Lórien doesn't want us to even try to explain this. We will carry on like nothing has happened."

Erestor's eyes widened, suddenly realizing how late in the morn it already was. "I am supposed to help Elrond!"

Glorfindel shook his head, making the raven braids dance slightly. "No, you will go with Berior, my second-in-command, and inspect the troops. Next, you will make the roster for this week's patrol and in the afternoon you will spar with my men." A frown appeared on his face. "You do know how to wield a sword, don't you?"

Erestor gulped. "You can't mean that! It is has been centuries since I last fought!"

"You inhabit my body, Erestor. That means you carry out my duties." Glorfindel smirked. "And I get to carry out yours."

Erestor gulped again. "No! You will make a mess of things! You aren't a diplomat and..." Suddenly it hit him that Glorfindel would be spending all this time with Elrond, whilst he would join the guards. "No..." His heart ached, realizing he would only see Elrond for the shortest amounts of time. At dinner, maybe.

"What is it?" Glorfindel, realizing he was missing something, studied the sapphire eyes. Those eyes are quite stunning. No wonder Legolas calls them mirrors to my soul. And that was another thing he should tell Erestor; that his lover was about to arrive!

"Captain? The men are ready for inspection!"

Glorfindel grinned broadly. "You have to answer him, Erestor. You have my voice."

Erestor looked at Glorfindel pleadingly. "Do I have to?"

Glorfindel nodded. "Answer him!"

"I will join you in a few minutes," said Erestor, still trying to come up with a plan to convince Glorfindel to abandon this mad plan.

"Understood." Berior, satisfied that his Captain was awake, left.

"We can't go through with this!" pleaded Erestor, "Elrond will find out you aren't me and Berior..."

Glorfindel moistened his lips and ran a hand through Erestor's golden mane. Yes, my hair does feel soft. Why did I never notice before? Ai, I am not falling in love with myself am I? A silly grin surfaced on his face, and he giggled softly. But I do understand now why Legolas fell for me! Cockily, he leaned in closer and stared deeply into the azure eyes. "You are going to spend the day outside, with my men, keeping my reputation intact, understood?"

Speechless, Erestor merely nodded.

Satisfied that Erestor understood, Glorfindel played with a strand of golden hair. "And in the meantime I will find out why I am in your body and you in mine. I will find out the identity of your secret love, Erestor."

Erestor shook violently. "No, don't do that." Glorfindel's sweet smile made him fear the worst. "I already told you he isn't interested in me in that way."

Glorfindel's smile became wicked. "Oh, we will see about that. I am certain I will find a way to make him see your... assests."

Erestor's azure eyes revealed shock. "You are inside my body, Glorfindel, but that doesn't give you the right to abuse it to attain your goal!"

"Who said anything about abusing it?" Glorfindel winked at Erestor. "I am most certain your body will relish finding some release." The way Erestor's eyes nearly bulged from their sockets was almost funny. "Erestor, calm down. I won't do anything you wouldn't do... Oops, did I really say that?"

"I will hold you to that promise!" Pouting, Erestor carefully rose from the bed and walked over to the wardrobe. "What do I wear?" If he was going to do this, he was going to do it well! He used to be a warrior before he became Elrond's Chief Advisor. He could still do this! And Glorfindel's body is well-trained. It will remember the fighting stances.

Glorfindel left the bed as well, opened the wardrobe and handed Erestor green leggings, and an emerald colored shirt. "My riding cloak is on that chair over there." The cloak was made from the deepest green, and embroiled with a delicate golden flower. "Don't forget to gird on my sword." Wondering why Erestor wasn't changing into the clothes yet, he frowned. What was Erestor waiting for?

"Can I have some privacy?" Erestor clutched the clothes, holding them against him. "I am not getting undressed when you are watching!"

Glorfindel burst out into laughter! "My dear Erestor, I have seen myself naked before!"

"But I haven't! Now kindly leave! You need to get ready yourself. Elrond doesn't like it when I am late."

"I am already going!" Glorfindel shook his head at Erestor's impatience. Carrying out Erestor's duties couldn't be as hard as being Captain of Imladris. Playing Erestor's part would be a piece of cake.




Glorfindel found himself whistling softly when he was on his way back to Erestor's private rooms. The shock, which he had felt this morning, had worn off, and he was actually looking forward to this challenge. Erestor had spread much gloom and doom during these last few centuries and he was going to put a stop to it. How hard could it be to get Erestor and his love together? Hm, his love. All I know is that this Elf is male. How do I find out more?

After entering Erestor's rooms, he scanned the area, searching for clues. In the end, he stood holding the sketches in his hand, which he had found earlier. Sketches showing Elrond. A grin formed on his face. Was it really that easy? I wonder if Erestor keeps a journal. Glorfindel was about to search the rooms more thoroughly when a loud knock sounded on his door.

"Erestor? Elrond has sent me to check on you. You are late!" Lindir, worried for his friend, knocked again. "Erestor? He is in a foul mood! He wanted to work through Glorfindel's reports this morning and you know how he gets when he can't stick to his schedule!"

Glorfindel cocked his head. Elrond? In a foul mood? He had seldom seen Elrond frustrated. "I am on my way, Lindir. Calm down." Checking his appearance in the mirror once more, he felt satisfied, and then opened the door. Lindir, slightly flushed, jumped back at the unexpected movement. Reminding himself to act like Erestor, Glorfindel tried his best to mimic the advisor's ways. "I will join him right now."

Lindir's eyes narrowed, suspiciously. "Why are you wearing those robes?"

Glorfindel's eyebrow rose questioningly. "And why are you questioning my fashion sense?"

"But... green!" Lindir shook his head in amazement. "I have never seen you wear anything but black."

"There is a first time for everything," remarked Glorfindel, smugly. He walked down the corridor, heading for Elrond's study. Apparently he had managed to shock Lindir, because the white-haired Elf needed a moment to catch up with him. "I look well in green."

"You look good in green," corrected Lindir, shocked that Erestor had made such a mistake. "Is everything all right with you?"

Glorfindel glared at Lindir. Grammar wasn't his strongest subject, and he hated the fact that he had slipped up. Erestor would never have made such a mistake! "You may go, Lindir." He had reached the door to Elrond's rooms and was eager to rid himself of the curious Elf.

"Go?" Lindir shook his head. Aside from being a minstrel at Elrond's court, he also served as Erestor's personal assistant. "Why am I being dismissed? You will need all the help you can get with this upcoming visit."

Oops... Maybe this wasn't going to be as easy as Glorfindel had thought. "Stay, then." He knocked on the door, and cringed at Elrond's tone when the half-Elf answered him – in a sharp and clearly annoyed voice.

"You are late!" Elrond slammed the reports he was reading onto his desk. "We are already behind in our schedule!"

Glorfindel frowned. "There can't be that much to do," he whispered absentmindedly.

"Excuse me?" Elrond rose to his full height and glared at his Chief Advisor. "We have to sort out Glorfindel's reports, negotiate with the human traders who want to open a shop here, answer Thranduil's letters, prepare for Legolas' arrival, and then there are the usual matters: sorting out Imladris' finances, check our food stock..." Elrond paused, seeing his advisor's big eyes. "What?"

Glorfindel scratched behind his ear. "And we are supposed to do that today?"

"Of course!" Puzzled by Erestor's odd behavior, Elrond walked toward him and rested a hand on the advisor's shoulder.

"He has been acting odd since I collected him from his rooms. This is not like him," said Lindir, thoughtfully.

Frustration made way for concern on Elrond's brow and the half-Elf steered his advisor toward two chairs, positioned beneath a window. "Sit down, Erestor."

Glorfindel obeyed automatically, and after sitting down, he sought out Elrond's eyes. Maybe he had underestimated Erestor's duties here.

"Are you well, my friend?" Elrond leaned in closer, studying the dazed, dark eyes. "Maybe you have been working too hard lately. I told you before to rest for a few days. I wish I could repeat that offer, but I need you at my side these next few days. Imladris will be in turmoil once Legolas and his escort arrive."

"I just need a moment," whispered Glorfindel. He had never fully realized just how heavy Erestor's work load was. "I didn't sleep that well last night. I had a disturbing dream and when I woke this morn I still felt distracted."

"Lindir? Would you kindly fetch us some tea?" Elrond whispered a thank you when Lindir left the study to carry out the request, and the half-Elf then focused on Erestor again. "I am not blind, my friend. I know something is ailing you. I just wish you would confide in me." But Erestor had never taken him up on that offer.

Glorfindel wondered what to do. He had seldom felt this confused – this lost. In the end, he decided to act as if Erestor was sitting here, listening to Elrond. "It is a matter of the heart."

Elrond nodded, encouragingly. "I remember your admission a few decades ago. Does your heart still yearn for this Elf?"

Glorfindel grew alert again. "You know?"

"You told me, remember?" Elrond's worries increased. Erestor was acting extremely out-of-character.

"Did I tell you who I am in love with?" Glorfindel gave Elrond a hopeful look.

"No, you never did," said Elrond, soothingly resting his hand on Erestor's. "I told you then and I will tell you now that this Elf is a fool for denying you."

Glorfindel felt even more confused. Not Elrond? He had been almost certain that Erestor was in love with Elrond! It has to be Elrond! Looking at Elrond's fingers, which were clasped around his, he wondered about the relationship between Erestor and Elrond. What did he know about their friendship? How deep did it go? How much did they confide in each other?

Taking Erestor's silence as a sign that his friend wasn't in a talkative mood, Elrond thanked Lindir for bringing tea and then asked the white-haired Elf to start on the arrangements for Legolas' visit. Whilst Lindir worked in the antechamber, Elrond concentrated on his distraught friend. "I would love to help in some way, but I can't as long as you don't tell me how."

Glorfindel sipped his tea, and eyed Elrond closely. The half-Elf did seem very concerned about Erestor. Maybe even a bit too concerned? "Thank you for your kind offer, but I am afraid that this is something I have to work through myself."

Elrond nodded once. "Erestor, do you want to take a few hours off? I don't know how to manage without you, but I somehow will. Maybe Lindir can help me."

Glorfindel shook his head. "No, I want to help." He just had no idea how, lacking Erestor's organizational skills.




"I need to take a break," announced Glorfindel. Elrond had told him to 'balance the books' but he had absolutely no idea what he was doing! He had tried hard to live up to Elrond's expectations, but he felt like he had utterly failed. If it hadn't been for Lindir's help, he would have already given up.

Elrond looked up from reading his reports. "Then go for a walk, Erestor. The fresh air will do you good."

"And what about you? Don't you need a break?" Glorfindel rose from behind the desk and stretched. He felt sore and his muscles ached from sitting in the same position for these last few hours.

"A break?" Elrond smiled. "Not for a long time, my friend."

Lindir, who had been watching the advisor closely had reached his own conclusions and was eager to test them. "My Lord Elrond, maybe I should accompany him?" he whispered into the half-Elf's ear. "Erestor has been acting most strangely and I advise against him walking the gardens alone."

Elrond nodded. He hated losing two valuable workers, but Erestor was of no use to him in his current state and he did agree with Lindir; Erestor shouldn't be left alone. "Go with him and make certain he is safe."

"You can trust in me," mumbled Lindir, bowing respectfully before following Erestor out of the room.

Elrond remained behind in confusion. Why was his trusted friend and advisor acting in such a way? Elbereth, don't let him fade. I wouldn't know what to do without him. Over the years Erestor had become much more than just his Chief Advisor. Erestor was his best friend and confidant. Erestor had comforted him when he had first lost Ereinion and later Celebrían. The dark-haired advisor had always been there for him but he didn't really know what he felt for Erestor exactly. Was it just friendship? Or was it more?