Friends are Forever by Carhuine Malthenel

Aragorn held Lord Elrond securely in front of him as they rode back to Helm's Deep where Legolas was. Eomer rode in front should they encounter any of Sauron's fell beasts. Gandalf had wanted to stay in Isenguard but Aragorn could not care for his father and Legolas. He simply didn't have the expertise he needed to ensure their survival. Gandalf was worried because he knew Legolas was suffering back at Isenguard. The spell Saruman spoke of was a lethal one if your beloved wasn't close. It preyed on your mind and made you think your lover was dead or gone. To wake after such events and not see your lover had the abilities to kill elves and make men insane. They rode hard for three days and on the night of the third day they reached Helm's Deep. Eomer was stunned to see Eowyn standing there and she looked like she had been crying.

"What news?" Eomer asked as he dismounted.

"Legolas is dying. He does nothing but thrash around and scream." Eowyn sobbed as she flung herself into her brother's arms.

"There is no time to lose. Aragorn take Elrond to Legolas's chambers at once. I shall be there shortly." Gandalf instructed as he hurried inside the keep.

Aragorn carried Elrond inside and to Legolas's chamber. Long before he got there he could hear Legolas's pained cries for his lover. Aragorn hurried along and a guard opened the door. Legolas was thrashing around on the bed as two healers tried to hold him down. Angered Aragorn ordered them to leave and never touch his friend again. They left and Aragorn laid Elrond on the bed next to Legolas. Almost immediately Legolas clamed and opened his eyes.

"Aragorn? Wha...?" Legolas struggled to talk.

"Saruman cast a spell on you and made you fall into darkness." Aragorn said as he removed Elrond's outer robes.

"Elrond?"

"He killed Saruman because he threatened you, me, Arwen and the twins. He was distraught so Gandalf put him in a healing sleep."

"For you both need each other to heal." Gandalf said from the doorway.

Legolas smiled softly as he reached out and pulled his lover to him. Gandalf brewed Legolas a tea for his throat and stayed until it was all gone. Aragorn sat next to the bed as Legolas fell asleep holding his love.