Friends are Forever by Carhuine Malthenel

Legolas awoke the next morning and noted that Elrond had already risen. Sighing he got up, bathed, dressed, and readied his weapons. He sat in front of the vanity combing his hair when the door opened and Elrond entered. Legolas smiled at his lover but grew serious when he realized he would be leaving soon. Elrond crossed over to stand behind Legolas, he took the comb and began to brush Legolas's hair. Without a word Elrond braided one plait behind Legolas's ear, it was a simple warrior plait. Behind the other ear he braided a love braid. Only an elf would be able to spot the subtle difference in the plaiting. Elrond smiled at Legolas and leaned over and kissed the prince on his cheek.

"I will miss you..." Elrond sighed.

"As I will miss you." Legolas leaned back against Elrond sighing.

Elrond smiled and pulled Legolas to his feet and embraced him. Legolas quietly pulled away and turned and strapped his weapons on.

"I wish to speak to you on one more matter.." Elrond said hesitantly.

"Yes?" Legolas turned a look of confusion on his face.

"This journey will be lonely and full of hardships. If you should wish to find comfort do not deny yourself." Elrond said as he looked into Legolas's eyes.

"What do you mean?" Legolas said slowly.

"You and Estel care for each other greatly. Arwen and I know this. This love you two share does not take away from the love you give me. An elf cannot grieve else you die so I would ask if you feel aggrived then seek comfort with him. I cannot lose you." Elrond turned and gazed out the window.

Legolas walked up behind Elrond and wrapped his arms about his Lord.

"I understand." was all that he needed to say.

Smiling Elrond took the prince's hand and they headed out the door and down the stairs. They saw Estel and Arwen at the base waiting for them. Legolas looked into Aragorn's eyes and he knew that Arwen had talked to him as well. Arwen walked over to him and embraced him before she hugged her father.

"Take care of each other." Arwen said as they walked outside to where the fellowship waited.

Arwen and Elrond stood aside as was proper and said formal goodbyes. But Legolas wouldn't leave with a simple formal good bye. Throwing caution to the wind he leaned forward and kissed Elrond in t oft of one and all. All the eves sighed, and the hobbits giggles. Only Boromit looked scandalized.

"We await the ringbearer." Gandalf said when Legolas joined them.

Frodo walked out the gate and they followed him on this epic journey. They walked all day and set up camp next to some huge rocks. They could be used for hiding if need be. Legolas stood and kept an eye out while the others rested. Boromir was teaching the little ones to fight while Aragorn watched. Gimli and Gandalf were arguing good naturedly about which route to take. Only he was alone and watching out for them. Sighing he gazed out but his mind wandered back to Imladris to Elrond. He wondered if Elrond missed him as much as he did. las las adjusted his cloak and when he did his hand brushed against something hard. He reached inside his cloak and pulled out a small mithril ring. Smiling Legolas recognized it as the ring Elrond had been given on his coming of age. Legolas tucked it back inside close to his heart so he would not lose it. He heard Boromir ask about something so he lookd up toward the sky.

"Crebain from Dunland!" he shouted to Aragorn.

"Hide!" came the urgent instruction.

As they hid it hit Legolas just how hard this journey would be. They would have to dodge Orcs and any other fould beasts Saruman could throw at them. He realized that for the first time in his long life that he could die. The thought scared him but the ring Elrond had given him comforted him as they hid. Legolas knew he would do his best and should he die so be it.