Frodo's Miss Adventure by Kathryn Ramage

"I'm so sorry about this, Frodo," Lad apologized after they'd gone into the common room. Lad had bought an ale and ordered a bite of lunch for them both while Frodo had looked around for other exits from the inn, and found Udo was at the stable-yard gate, keeping an eye on the kitchen door. There was no way out except past one of the Longchalks. "I never meant to get you into trouble too."

"It isn't your fault, Lad," Frodo consoled him. "I got myself into this. Who would have guessed they'd behave so badly?"

"What do we do now?"

"We might fight our way out," Frodo suggested. "There are three of them, but they've spread themselves out around the inn. We might take on one of them alone. I'm no brawler, but if we go out the window, I think I can hold off Urgo long enough for you to fly before his brothers notice you've gone."

"I couldn't run off and leave you to face them alone!" Lad protested. "I'd never forgive myself if you were hurt for my sake, Frodo--and Sam would certainly never forgive me either! I know how he protects you. Besides, if we get into a fight, it'll cause a public commotion. With all these ladies around, Mother and Angelica hear of it and I won't be able to keep the truth from them. Or anybody else, for the Longchalks are sure to talk once they see we've escaped them."

"Very well." Frodo gave the problem more thought. "I don't like surrendering to bullies," he said at last with a sigh, "but since we can't stand up to them without making the whole matter public, the only choice is to give in. I'm afraid you'll have to pay them, Lad, and hope they'll keep their mouths shut."

"But, Frodo, I told you I don't have that kind of money at hand-"

"I'll lend it to you."

"I couldn't-"

"Nonsense, Lad," Frodo insisted. As the Mayor and Longchalks had pointed out for very different reasons, he was related to Lad by marriage now and felt a family obligation toward him. "I won't make a nuisance of myself about expecting to be paid back. Pay me when you can, and don't worry about it."

"That awfully decent of you, Frodo," Lad said. "Do you have that much money with you?"

"No," Frodo admitted. He only had a few coins in his pockets. Sam kept more money for their traveling expenses and whatever wagers he might make in a small purse, but he had taken that with him this morning. "We must send a message to Sam somehow. He has our extra money, and can ride home to get more if it becomes necessary. One of us might try to slip out without the Longchalks seeing."

"If we could! If Fleetfloot would only win this afternoon, that would put an end to all my problems," said Lad. "The winnings from that would be enough and if the odds against him haven't gone too high, no one would believe the Longchalks that I've been holding him back. But I won't be there to ride him."

"If you don't show up, will Milo take the pony from the race?"

"He might. Or he might ride Fleet himself. Milo's quite a rider-" Lad stopped abruptly at the sight of something beyond Frodo, and groaned, "Oh, golly! As if I weren't in trouble enough today. There's Angelica!"

Frodo turned to find his cousin standing in the hallway outside the common room, looking around herself. Lad ducked under the table before his wife saw him where he distinctly shouldn't be at this time of day.

"It's all right, Lad," Frodo said as he rose from the apparently empty table. "I'll talk to her." He went out to intercept Angelica before she entered the common room.

"Frodo!" Angelica looked pleased when she saw him. "I was hoping to find you. We need an impartial judge for some of the contests this afternoon. Will you do it? No one could call you partial to any of the ladies."

"I'll be happy to," Frodo promised, "but there's an important errand I must attend to first." He confided in her reluctantly. "I must leave this inn for a little while, right away... but I can't."

"Whyever not?"

"I'm being prevented." He nodded toward Ulfodo Longchalk, loitering just beyond the front door with his back turned to them. "There's another at the stable gate, and a third under the bedroom windows, ensuring I can't get past any way I try."

"But why-?" Angelica began to ask, then frowned suddenly and put her hands on her hips. "Frodo, does this have something to do with Lad and whatever trouble he's been keeping to himself lately? He won't tell me, won't admit there's anything wrong, but I know that's why you were shut up with Father Whitfoot in his study yesterday. You've no concern in mayoral 'business'--I refuse to believe it!" She lowered her voice. "Lad hasn't gotten himself into debt to these louts, has he? He knows I won't allow that." She glanced at Ulfodo, and Frodo was afraid that she was going to go out and confront him.

"It isn't gambling debts," he told her. "It's something else."

"What then?"

"I can't say. I promised Lad I wouldn't. A gentlehobbit has to keep his word. Surely you understand that. But if you help me get out of here, Angelica, it will help Lad out of his difficulties too."

Angelica looked somewhat doubtful, but she agreed. "What can I do?"

Frodo considered the problem. "I might slip out past them if I had some disguise. Perhaps if I had a cloak or large hat..." But Frodo saw instantly that these wouldn't do; on a warm summer's day, such a costume would only draw attention to himself and rouse the Longchalks' suspicions before he had gone more than a few steps. He would be caught. "What else might I disguise myself as?"

Angelica smiled. "You could walk out of here easily if you were me."

"You mean, you'd go in my place?" Could he ask her to find Sam and deliver a message to him? Frodo didn't think the errand would place his cousin in danger, but how much could he tell her without breaking Lad's confidence? Say too much, and Lad would surely be in greater trouble with his wife than he was with the Longchalk brothers.

"No," she answered. "I meant that you might go as me."