Scandal by Kimindaze

Chapter notes: Frodo wakes still in Haldir's embrace and thinks about the Lothlorien elf. The Fellowship starts their way further into lorien and Rumil takes his leave.

Authors note: who knows. There will be quotes from the book, see if you can find them.
Frodo felt a soft heart beat under his ear and opened his eyes coming face to face with gray eyes that seemed hollow. Frodo blinked and looked around, Rumil and Orophin weren't around anymore, and now he was stuck with their brother who was asleep. He also saw that Sam and the others were gone.

So he was startled when a hand was laid on his shoulder, making him jump, which startled the elf that held him causing Haldir to jump up to his feet taking Frodo with him holding him in a protective way.

"Peace brother, I fear I've startled you in your sleep when I accidentally scared Frodo." Frodo looked towards the voice to find Orophin looking at the two with bemusement in his fair features.

Frodo smiled at him and Orophin smiled at him. Frodo glanced sideways at Haldir who he thought looked a bit flustered.

"Are you ok Haldir?" He asked.

"I'm fine Frodo, just a bit startled," He glared at Orophin, who laughed. Frodo muffled his laughter in Haldir's tunic.

"Ah even the little one is against me." Orophin rolled his eyes and set Frodo down on the ground. Frodo looked up at Orophin.

"Orophin where are the others?" Orophin glanced down from the talan to the forest floor.

"They are with the rest of the Fellowship, perhaps blurting out that you and Haldir are having an affair." Frodo snorted.

"They should just look at Legolas and Aragorn, there they would see an affair." Haldir looked skeptical.

"Are you sure Frodo? I wouldn't have their names to bear slander." He looked sternly at the hobbit that came up to his waist. Frodo looked slyly at him.

"Would you like to see an encounter between them two?" Haldir shook his head and sneered at Orophin who rolled his eyes.

"Come you two, we have to get to Caras Galadhon, to have the Lord and Lady meet the Fellowship and you Frodo." Frodo blushed slightly; Haldir raised his eyebrow before he swiftly descended from the talan. Frodo followed with Orophin following.

Frodo was greeted with the sight of the Fellowship who looked at the two elves and hobbit coming down from the talan. Frodo spotted Rumil and waved; Rumil smiled and nodded his head in greeting. Merry and Pippin gravitated to Frodo and nearly knocked him over in greetings. Sam fussed over him, asking if was all right.

As much as he loved his cousins and Sam, he felt like he could throttle them right at the moment, he longed already for the light and silky laughter of the three-elven brothers. He missed Haldir's soft touch. He looked desperately at Rumil and Orophin who did not miss his predicament, in which they only smiled – Frodo would say evilly – at him.

"Come we make for Caras Galadhon today, lets go." Haldir said.

The fellowship started walking in the middle of the elves but Frodo fell back and came to talk to Rumil and Orophin, but Haldir was in the front of the line guiding the rest of them into the forest.

Merry and Pippin also fell back just behind Boromir and right in front of Frodo and the two elves and tried to listen in but they were stumped because all the words in elvish.

"Quel amrun Frodo[1]." Rumil said.

"Sut naa lle sina re Rumil[2]?" Frodo said back, once Merry and Pippin decided it was too confusing to even try to guess what they were saying they gave up and walked with Boromir.

"I'm doing fine Frodo, but was wondering about you. When you fell asleep in Haldir's arms you started to try and claw your way out of his arms but he held you tighter and eventually you calmed down and fell asleep holding him in a death grip." Frodo blushed.

"So that's why I awoke in his arms."

Orophin laughed, " You should've seen the look on your face my dear friend you looked like really shocked and scared at first then you almost settled back down to sleep, but that was when I woke you up."

"More like scared me." He said dryly. Orophin raised an eyebrow.

"You scared yourself." Orophin muttered, Rumil flashed Frodo a grin. Frodo chuckled and focused on the trail while watching the back of the gray clothed elf named Haldir.

Haldir almost felt like turning around and gazing at the little hobbit. He could feel the other's gaze on him. Why was the hobbit looking at him? Was there something wrong?

Rumil looked at the ringbearer besides him and made his face into a passive look and scanned the area. No orcs around these areas, but one could never be too sure. He had seen a creature that had big eyes that glowed in the dark and hissed softly. He nearly shot the thing, but stayed his hand.

Was the thing after Frodo? If it was, was it after the Ring and hoping to kill the hobbit in the process? He would have to inform Haldir about it, the ringbearer might be in danger from this thing.

"Frodo I have seen this thing in the woods lately, with glowing eyes."

"You probably saw Gollum Rumil. But you must not kill him. I fear he as a bigger role in helping getting the ring destroyed." Rumil looked at the little being beside him and was struck by how wise the Halfling sounded.

"How would you know that?"

"Gandalf told me." Was all he said. Rumil nodded his head and looked at Orophin who had heard the whole thing, Orophin shook his head and gestured toward Haldir.

'Let him talk to Frodo about it.' The silent reply was. Rumil nodded. He watched the other members of the fellowship, the hobbit Sam looked anxious and torn about something, and the other hobbits were talking to themselves and the man of Gondor from time to time. Aragorn and Legolas were walking close together and Rumil smirked at the sight. Little Frodo was right they were so obvious. Haldir was scouting the road ahead and commenting on things from time to time with Aragorn and Legolas.

"Frodo."

"Yes?"

"I am leaving the company when we reach the river, I have to stay and guard the border." Rumil paused, " And Orophin and Haldir will still be accompanying you on your journey to Caras Galadhon." He watched Frodo's face. He looked sad.

"Well I ever see you again Rumil?" Rumil smiled at him. The Halfling was concerned! He was touched.

"Maybe Little one, or maybe not, I know not the pass of time. It'll probably be soon but not so soon, my friend."

"Oh." Frodo looked down, " Orophin is going with us too, not staying behind?"

"You are concerned about us Frodo, why?" He saw the hobbit blush.

"I don't know, maybe it's because you're a friend-"

"He likes you Rumil." Was Orophin's blunt interruption. Frodo snapped back a reply.

"Of course I like him, he's my friend Orophin! Nothing like that!" Orophin chuckled, clearly not believing the hobbit.

"Is Haldir your friend, or is it nothing like that?" Frodo looked about ready to throttle him, well he if he could, just inflict major damage to his waist area.

"You are audacious Orophin!" Rumil barked miffed that Orophin would think such a thing. He had felt the hobbit stiffen beside him and he smirked at the look in Frodo's eye. Orophin was going to get it one way or another; too bad he won't be there when he does.

"Look the river Celebrant approaches!" Orophin said trying to change the subject. Frodo looked down and then back up at Rumil, the elf noticed his gaze and smiled gently at him.

"It'll be alright little one, I'll see you again, and if not," They paused and waited till the company went on a bit, "then here, take this." Rumil bent down and took off his neck a necklace of silver. Frodo heard Orophin gasp as Rumil took his little hand and put the necklace in it.

"But.." Rumil's fingers stopped his words from forming.

"Take it little one, and remember me." He got up and walked on ahead. Orophin walked over to Frodo and put his hand on Frodo's shoulder.

"He likes you little one, but he knows that you like Haldir, my brother. He gave you something of high importance, keep it always and do as he said, ' remember him.'" Frodo nodded.

"I will." Orophin nodded and they started to catch up with the group. When Frodo saw Rumil, he caught up with the taller being and looked up at him, " Thank you."

"Your welcome, just make sure to tell Haldir before you leave Lothlorien, I hope to hear things from Orophin."

Frodo blushed and then rolled his eyes.

Haldir turned aside into the trees and halted on the bank of the river under shadows.

"There is one of my people yonder across the stream," he said, "though you may not see him." He gave a call like the low whistle of a bird, and out of a thicket of young trees an Elf stepped, clad in grey, but with his hood thrown back; his hair glinted like gold in the morning sun. Haldir skillfully cast over the stream a coil of grey rope, and he caught it and bound the end about a tree near the bank.

"Celebrant is already a strong stream here, as you see," said Haldir, "and it runs both swift and deep, and is very cold. We do not set foot in it so far north, unless we must. But in these days of watchfulness we do not make bridges. This how we cross! Follow me!" He made his end of the rope fast about another tree, and then ran lightly along it, over the river and back again, as if he were on a road.

Orophin looked down at Frodo, "He's great isn't he?" he baited, seeing if Frodo would say any thing. He wasn't disappointed.

"Yeah he is." He covered his mouth blushing. Orophin's mouth quirked upwards.

"Really? Well then I'll have to tell him that." Frodo looked upward at him, eyes in a panicked state.

"You wouldn't would you?" They heard Legolas say something but they weren't paying attention. Rumil who had stayed quiet for the past five minutes softly mentioned.

"Frodo, it is time." Frodo looked at Rumil, who had turned towards him and kneeled down, and looked at Frodo. Frodo stepped toward him mindful of Merry and Pippin's glances, but he couldn't care less. He stepped into Rumil's embrace, " Namariė, my dear Frodo. Cormanin niuve tenną ta elea lle ał[3]." Then Rumil pulled away and stood up. They didn't notice Haldir who looked at them in a jealous look before he went back to his stern self.

...The Company passed over, some cautiously and slowly, others more easily. Of the hobbits Pippin proved the best for he was sure-footed, and he walked over quickly, holding only with one hand; but he kept his eyes on the bank ahead and did not look down. Sam shuffled along, clutching hard, and looking down into the pale eddying water as if it was a chasm in the mountains.

When at length all the company was gathered on the east bank of the Silverlode, the Elves untied the ropes and coiled two of them. Rumil, who had remained on the other side, drew back the last one, slung it on his shoulder, and with a wave of his hand went away, back to Nimrodel to keep watch.
Chapter end notes: [1] – Good Morning.
[2] – How are you today Frodo?
[3] – My heart shall weep until it sees thee again.