Scandal by Kimindaze

Story notes: Don't mind the unbelievable pairing; I just thought this up while I was bored.
Frodo awoke abruptly almost startling the elf guard, Rumil, Haldir's brother, who merely glanced at him and turned away looking out from the talan. Frodo rubbed his faced and stood up and went to stand by the edge, "I," Rumil paused as if trying to form the right words right in westron language, "I advise against that, ringbearer."

"There is nothing to worry about, I won't fall, I've done this many times at my home in the Shire, my friends though are a little more cautious." Rumil blinked, the hobbit had spoken elvish fluently! He came to stand by the little hobbit and sat down next to him.

"You speak our language little one?" Frodo looked up at him and smiled.

"That I do," Frodo frowned, "I beg your pardon but I have forgotten your name, I was preoccupied when your brother Haldir introduced you and your other brother."

"My name is Rumil." He stopped when he heard shifting of bodies behind him coming from the other hobbits.

"Mr. Frodo?" Sam called out sleepily, and then promptly fell back asleep. Frodo smiled at his friend and turned back to look at the elf, who was gazing at him in wonder. Frodo's eyebrow shifted and Rumil caught himself.

"Sorry Mr. Baggins. But I could not help but wonder, where did you learn our language from?"

"I learned from when I was small, my uncle Bilbo, let me have some elvish books and he helped me translate it and I slowly began to understand the language, until finally I got the grasp of it." Frodo smiled sheepishly all of a sudden, "But don't tell Legolas or Aragorn, that I know the language."

"And why not?" Rumil glanced at the little form beside him and cocked his head to the side.

"Aragorn and him would be very much embarrassed." Rumil laughed softly, which made Frodo smile.

"And what sort of things did you gather against them?" Rumil oh so wanted to know this. Frodo hesitated and Rumil laid a hand on his shoulder, " But if you wish, you don't have to tell me." Frodo nodded.

"I'll tell anyway, imagine this in the dark, ' oh Legolas, yes! Yes! Don't stop oh god!" Rumil snorted, "But that's not all, I heard Legolas the next day speaking to Aragorn. ' That was best last night Aragorn.' And Aragorn said, ' let's keep this a secret Legolas, cause damn it sure beats women, well let's excuse Arwen from this.'" Frodo glanced at Rumil who was smiling softly, "and then Aragorn thought they were both alone because they thought I was asleep along with the rest of the fellowship, Aragorn grabbed Legolas and they got it on hot and heavy right there in the middle of all of us, I heard it all because I couldn't sleep and they kept on saying everything in sindarin! I couldn't sleep for the rest of the night!"

Rumil laughed a little louder and his brother from across the trees asked what was so funny. Orophin his brother was puzzled, Rumil called out, "I'll tell you later! It's quite the story!"

From Orophin's standpoint he thought that Rumil was laughing at nothing and was getting concerned, did the little halflings drive him insane? He looked over at his older brother Haldir who was conversing with Estel, Legolas and that man of gondor about their next move into the forest.

"I'll be back brother." He swiftly climbed down the ladder and was out of there before his brother could object, he went to the ladder leading up to his other brother and climbed up, he spotted his brother and the ringbearer talking in hushed tones.

"Rumil, ringbearer." He greeted, they both looked at him and smiled, the ringbearer gestured for him to join them and he sat down on the other side of the him since his brother was on the other side.

"Greetings...I forgot your name too! I'm I to forget everybody I'm introduced to?" Rumil's mouth quirked. Orophin merely shook his head.

"My name is Orophin," He looked at the two and raised his eyebrow elegantly while staring at them, " And what are you two laughing about that I could hear it from across the trees?" Rumil glanced at Frodo and they almost burst out laughing.

"Well dear brother, Mr. Baggins here knows our language and the two unsuspecting members of the Fellowship do not know that." Orophin wondered if his brother was going mad. But he decided to humor him.

"And who are the two members?"

"Aragorn and Legolas. They're having an affair out in the wilderness saying everything in sindarin and thinking that none of the Fellowship know the language, well besides Mithrandir that is." Orophin almost smiled, his eyes betraying his mirth.

"And our dear ringbearer heard everything and knows incriminating evidence against our two friends. Oh that is funny!" The three almost forgot that there were three other occupants of the talan and were almost laughing out loud.

"What's going on?" Pippin asked wearily opening one eye while trying to find the source of the noise. Merry on the other hand was already looking at the two elves and his older cousin that were conversing and laughing together. Merry was gazing at them silently while mainly looking at Frodo.

His cousin was the outcast among hobbits. The Baggins family line was rumored to have a touch of elven blood and for that most of the hobbits considered them strange, and not to be really trusted, the travels of Bilbo Baggins only seemed to make their reasonings more right in there eyes. So maybe Frodo had found some friends in Lothlorien, with Haldir's brothers. He looked at Pippin and shook his head not to disturb them and they went back to sleep.

"I think my younger brother can hear us from the other talan." Orophin mused while the other two looked at him. Frodo looked at him anxiously.

"You think they can hear what we're talking about?" Rumil and Orophin looked at him and Frodo saw their fair faces grimace. Frodo followed their example. Orophin spoke.

"I don't think they can, but if I could hear you two talking then maybe they can hear us, but all I heard was muffled talk." Still Frodo did not look convinced. Rumil saw this.

"Do not be troubled ringbearer, if my brother did hear anything he would probably not tell the other two, though you might have to worry about Legolas and a stray arrow in the dark, though he might say it was from an orc." Frodo glared at him.

"Legolas would not do that Rumil, although he might just not talk to me for a while." Orophin snorted in un-elvish like way.

"Since when has he ever talked to you? I did not see him have any sort of conversation with you ever since your fellowship walked into our borders." Frodo nodded.

"True, but that doesn't mean he doesn't talk to me at all Orophin."

"Are you two keeping the ringbearer up, Rumil, Orophin?" All three of them flinched and turned to see Haldir looking at them disapprovingly, "The ringbearer needs rest you two."

"Frodo."

"Beg your pardon?" Haldir said glancing at Frodo.

"My name is Frodo, not ringbearer." Haldir nodded.

"I'll remember that Frodo," Haldir turned to his two brothers, "Legolas and Aragorn are asleep in the other talan-" He was interrupted by laughter.

"Are you sure brother, or did they just say they need their sleep as a way of kicking you out of the talan?" Rumil said while laughing with the ringbearer. Haldir looked raised an eyebrow arrogantly.

"Of course I'm sure Rumil, they need their sleep, and they are exhausted from losing Mithrandir." Their laughing stopped, and Haldir realized that he said something wrong. Frodo wasn't laughing anymore; he turned silent and looked away from the group.

"I...I am going to sleep." He scrambled up to his feet and walked back to his sleeping roll, right before he got in though, a hand on his shoulder stopped him.

"I am sorry for that remark Frodo." Frodo looked up to see Haldir looking at him with sorrow and regret. He laid his hand on Haldir's and closed his eyes.

"It's alright Haldir," Frodo sighed, "The reason I did not want to sleep anyways was because of a nightmare. Rumil saw me wake, but I dreamed of Gandalf falling into darkness and blaming me!"

Rumil and Orophin looked at each other and walked over to the elf and hobbit. Orophin sat down next to the little hobbit again and laid a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sure little one that Gandalf does not blame you for his death," He saw Haldir sit down and pull Frodo into an embrace that Frodo did not discourage, " He would want you to remember him and always cherish him so that his memory lives on in your heart and not in a blaze of blaming yourself."

Haldir raised an eyebrow, "Are you sure you're my brother?" he said while he put his mouth right next to Frodo's ear and Rumil shared a look with Orophin, "Could you understand a word he said Frodo?" Frodo giggled.

"Yes Haldir, I did..." Frodo looked at the three elves, "Thank you for everything you three."

Rumil nodded, "Although it only started with me and you talking about a scandal!"

Frodo laughed softly in Haldir's arms. He looked up at Haldir who was looking down at him and smiled at the Galadrim.