Subways and Undergrounds by pixiegreen

Chapter five-The Billy situation Orlando

Author notes: Vampires were once beings of God, like Angels they worked to protect the mortal humans. It was the Angels job on Earth to protect while the Vampires job to remove the evil doers. Eventually the vampires turned away from their work, they are more human than angels are and because of this they are much more susceptible to temptation. Vampires eventually became sick of killing in the name of their creator, and chose to turn to a life of human desires. In retaliation God had punished them all for turning on him, God cursed all Vampires and their future generations to only walk in the night, to be forced to kill to survive.


Eric knew he should be asking Sean for permission but seeing Orlando ache over this was too much for him to bear. He was going to have to find out everything eventually anyway. It would be a weight off his mind to finally let Orlando know the truth.

He reached for Orlando's hand and once the smaller hand was held in his own he began to lead him away from the hospital, ignoring the questioning gaze thrown his way.

Eric waited until they were out of site before he took off into the air; still holding Orlando's hand, taken by surprise Orlando awkwardly dangled a little struggling to spread his wings. Much to his barely hidden embarrassment he still hadn't perfected his gift of flight, partly out of his major fear of heights, a little hangover from his past life he kept forgetting that death really wasn't an issue for him anymore, and the other reason was that Elijah, a fellow angel, was supposed to have taught him properly long ago but had been off on an unexpectedly long mission, in fact Orlando was sure he was supposed to have been back by now.

"Still not got the hang of flying "a rather surprised Eric said as his lips quirked into a smile at the struggling form, trying to contain his mirth.

"Let me help you" he said before Orlando could answer reaching for the younger angel's hand so he could gather Orlando close, all the while Eric was trying to convince his conscience that it was just easier to fly that way.

He had always loved Orlando and would take any chance he could get to be close to the young Angel. Even when Orlando was alive Eric had been enthralled by him, He used to follow him around when he had spare time, just to see what the curious young man was doing, what he was interested in, and who he was helping. Eric was always checking that he was safe. He had always seen the beauty in him-not that Eric didn't appreciate the outer beauty Orlando now possessed.

He was so very disappointed in himself for not being able to prevent Orlando's attack; after Orlando had died he had tracked down the murders and killed them. There was this selfish but it didn't rid him of his inner conflict. The selfish part of Eric's mind, his more human side that had been secretly pleased when Orlando had been killed, he could have Orlando close to him after all these years, it made his sick to think that he could actually find joy in what had happened to the man he was supposed to protect.

What kind of guardian angel was he? Not only was he unable to protect the young man but he had been pleased that he had been murdered because of his personal gain his murder brought.

Eric shook off these thoughts as he soared upwards, he could feel Orlando positively shaking and he didn't need to look to that beautiful face to know that Orlando's eyes were screwed shut.

"Orlando, I promise, there is nothing for you to fear, you are always safe when you're with me" he whispered into his ear,

"Come on and open your eyes"

Slowly Orlando peeked one eye open, looking out at the city streets so far below him. He began to relax. He trusted Eric, upon opening the other eye he noticed that he didn't recognize the places whizzing underneath him.

The night was coming along in bringing dark rain clouds with it when Eric finally started to descend towards the ground.

Once they had landed Orlando looked quizzically around at the old ruins and the empty fields surrounding them.

"Where are we? I don't know this place; Billy is in Glasgow not where ever this place is"

"It's just a little further out that Glasgow, I don't want to take you any closer than this. Its almost night and its not entirely safe, even for us" Eric said, he was beginning to think that this might have been a bad idea, but it was too late now and he believed that Orlando had the right to know, he just didn't want to see the young man upset.

Eric looked out into the growing dark. "You see that small light in the distance?" Orlando nodded, following Eric's gaze, wondering what was to come.

"That is an old house; it has been there for many years. That has been the clan house of the Drokain for over 70 years, where I know that your friend Billy has been visiting a lot lately"

Orlando looked puzzled at this, he had heard that name mentioned before, Could Billy have joined this mysterious clan? He was just a young starting doctor from a small town; he lived with his parents, had a girlfriend, a pet dog and was struggling to pay off his student loans. Could it have been in desperate need of money that made him join? Was it some kind of cult he had gotten mixed up in? Was he forced? All these questions ran through Orlando's mind, he didn't understand how the Billy he knew could have gotten caught up in this.

"What is the Drokain clan? I think it's been mentioned to me before." Orlando finally said still struggling to remember where he had heard the name before.

"You have probably heard Sean mention them before, he has had very little tolerance for the Vampires ever since they abandoned our side" Eric said, he carefully watched Orlando's features as he waited for all this new information to sink in, and sure enough he saw the rising worry and fear appear on his innocent face.

At hearing the word Vampire all his memories came back in a flash. One of the final Vampire clans, The Drokain, The house made by the ancient Vampire Ian and his sired family.

"You mean Billy is a vampire now? How could Billy have gotten mixed up in all this? Why would they want him, he is just a young Doctor!" Orlando felt hot tears begin to sting his eyes as he begun to remember all the terrible things he had been taught about Vampires, how could his happy-go-lucky Billy have gotten involved with them?

"Hey hey! Don't cry Orli, we don't know yet if Billy has been turned, and anyway vampires are not the evil creatures that you have been taught to believe"

"But Sean says that they... " Orlando tried to interject

"And defiantly don't listen to what Sean tries to teach you about them!" Eric continued on "They are not the horrible cruel beings that he believes them to be. They are people who just want to be able to survive in this world along with the rest of us, the vampires that live now are but the children of the vampires that turned, and do you punish a child for the deeds of their father? "

"Well no" Orlando said almost timidly.

"Exactly!" Eric laid his hands on Orlando's shaking shoulders and looked into his eyes Before he continued. "Vampires are certainly not our allies but they are not evil, We are just too different to get along with each other but our races share the same values, and either way its not like God is still here to tell us whether they are to be rid of or not, so for now we ignore them and they ignore us and keep the hell out of each others way"

A long silence passed and the rain began to fall, Orlando stood still looking straight at Eric, Amazed at what he had just been told.

"Do you really believe God abandoned all of us?" he said, his stomach sinking at the very words, his eyes falling to the ground.

"I think so, yeah" Eric turned, emotion washing over him, it had been the first time he had said it out loud and it finally seemed to become real.

Orlando watched, he could almost feel Eric's pain; he put his arm over his shoulder,

"Eric lets go home"