Back in Time by sbyte

Chapter notes: Beta: TWED and KRob beta'd this chapter, both proofing grammar and making plot suggestions. They went beyond what was expected and I thank them for their time and effort.
The elfing pushed at what looked to be a dead end but proved to be a rock that had been rounded for ease of movement. The exit was small and the twins had to go down on all fours to crawl through the hole, but it led them out into another thicker part of the forest.

"The tunnel cuts through the hill and into forest. If it is unknown to the kinslayers back in that village, it might be a safe place to live. Is your home here pen'neth, or is it in the village you showed us?"

The elfling rolled the rock back into place and took both twins by the hand. He didn't answer but led them further into the forest. The trees became large and the forest darker but still he didn't pause. Finally he let go of their hands and looked at them both appraisingly. He could lose them here. They didn't know where they were going and he knew the terrain like the back of his hand. Perhaps more importantly, he knew what lived there. However, something told him to trust them. If his instinct was wrong, he knew what to do. His safety in this place was absolute. His instincts rarely lead him astray though, so he motioned for them to follow.

There were no paths and the route by which the elfling led the twins seemed to be random. Though he neither heard nor saw anything, Elrohir had the sense that they were being followed. He never said as much, but Elladan could feel it too. Finally, the trees became less dense. Over a small hill and across a trickling brook, a cabin sat in the middle of a small clearing in the forest. It was alone with no other buildings in sight. This was the elfling's destination.

The twins looked at one another and then suspiciously at the cabin. Elrohir said, "There is no smoke coming from the chimney and the cabin looks abandoned, but that doesn't mean there is no one there."

"Does anyone live here pen'neth?" Elladan hoped so. Although he picked up on something in his brother's voice that indicated he didn't completely trust the elfling, he didn't believe he would lead them to kinslayers. Had he intended to do so, he would have already done it.

The elfling nodded, but didn't elaborate. When they reached the cabin, he entered without pausing to knock.

It didn't take the twins long to ascertain that the elfling's family did not live in the cabin. There was a bed but the covers showed age. A nondescript chest sat at the end of the bed. A rocking chair and an old but comfortably stuffed chair sat near a cold fireplace. A blanket was on the overstuffed chair and a small cloak was draped over the arm of the rocking chair. The little kitchen area held a few cooking implements. There were two pots, a few spoons, five plates, two mugs and a kettle. Elrohir nosed through the shelves but found little in the way of food. There certainly wasn't enough to feed a family. The only thing that made them think that the cabin was currently being lived in was the lack of dust. While the cabin couldn't be called clean by any stretch of the imagination, the stuffed chair, bed, cupboard and chest were relatively dust free. Someone had taken a little effort to keep the cabin clean.

"You said that someone lives here pen'neth, but it doesn't look like they spend much time here. Do you know where they might be?" Elrohir was convinced that the little one was leading them astray.

The elfling looked at him and turned away.

"Can you tell me where they are?"

The elfling's head dropped and the twins heard a sniffle. Elladan motioned his brother to be silent and walked over to where the elfling stood. He put a hand on the little shoulder and with the other stroked the little head. Something terrible occurred to him. He only prayed it wasn't so. Slowly he turned the young elf toward him, knelt down and raised the head. Tears were falling down the little face but the expression was defiant.

Elladan quietly said, "Do you live here?" He glanced over his shoulder at his brother, hoping that they had both reached the same conclusion. Elladan gently pulled the elfling into a loose hug and let him cry on his shoulder.

"It is ok to cry pen'neth." He stroked the long dark hair and gently asked, "You are alone here, aren't you?"

The elfling continued to cry leaving the twins to assume whatever they wished. Both twins remained silent for a moment, fearing to further distress the sobbing child. After several moments spent soothing the little one, the tears finally ceased. For the time being, they were all cried out.

Elladan asked, "Have you been alone here for a long time?"

The elfling nodded his head.

"Ro, he can't stay here all alone. In the mind of an elfling, a long period of time might be no more than a month or two but he is too young to be left alone in an abandoned cottage."

"I feel the same way, but there is little we can do." Privately, Elrohir didn't believe the elfling. His brother did though and only one could be right. He asked, "Where are your parents?"

The elfling closed his eyes and sighed. Then he took hold of Elladan's hand and urged him to follow. Not far from the cabin were two shallow graves. As they drew near, they heard the distinct sound of wolf song.

This…this is where your parents rest?" Elladan held his breath and prayed to the Valar that the elfling said no. Unfortunately, the elfling nodded. "Aiya, I am so sorry. Elrohir, we have to do something for him. He is an orphan."

Elrohir bit his bottom lip. "I know how you feel, but our options are very limited. Let's come away from here pen'neth. We need to talk and this isn't a good place to do so. Let's go inside."

After returning to the cottage, Elladan sat down on the old rocking chair and huffed. "We have to help him. Pen'neth, do you know anyone in that village you showed us when we first arrived?"

The elfling nodded.

Elrohir raised an eyebrow and asked, "Do you have any relatives there?" Again the elfling nodded, albeit very hesitantly. "Do they know that you are alone?"

The elfling studied the younger twin for a moment. It didn't take much to realize that the younger elf didn't believe his story to be entirely true. Coming to a decision, he smiled charmingly at both elves and walked over to the chest by the bed. He pulled out a leather bound book full of children's tales and paused before retrieving a wooden flute as well. Then he brought his prizes back to Elladan.

"Ah, they gave you this book and flute?"

The elfling nodded.

Elladan furrowed his brow. "That is a high quality binding. The book cost a decent amount of coin. It makes me wonder why he is here. The book looks almost brand new. Hmm, I don't know much about musical instruments, but that flute doesn't look like an elfling's toy. Perhaps it belonged to one of his parents. It is too nice for a young elfling. Obviously someone knows of the child and is well off enough to provide for him." He wondered if the elfling was being hidden by someone friendly to his parents.

"It makes no sense that he lives alone in an abandoned cottage if he has relatives in the village." Elrohir looked at the elfling and then back at his brother. "Perhaps he did live here at one point but I doubt he does any longer." Rather sternly, Elrohir said, "Pen'neth, where do you live? I don't believe that this is your home and we need to speak with your guardian. We need the advice of an adult."

Elladan wished that he could speak with his brother outside the hearing of the elfling. "The child might very well be here for his own safety, Ro. We don't know how his parents perished. Why else would he be allowed to live in an abandoned cottage in the middle of a forest?"

Elrohir stepped behind the elfling and mouthed "Kinslayers?"

Elladan shrugged and mouthed "Maybe."

The elfling knew nothing of the silent communication. He gave the twins a sly smile before motioning for them to stay where they were. He then went to a corner, knelt down and wriggled a loose board. His little hand slid under the board and moved a latch, freeing the cover to a secret hiding place under the floor. At least that is what it looked like from across the room.

When the elfling once again motioned them to stay and disappeared into the hole they reconsidered. Upon further inspection, they found that what looked like a secret hiding place was actually the entrance to another underground tunnel. Briefly they tried to follow but wound up backtracking. The darkness combined with their lack of direction rendered pursuit impossible.

Elrohir pursed his lips. "Well, we are either in an excellent hiding place, or trapped."

Elladan felt much the same. "Aye. We are well and truly trapped if that is the case, as there is no way we can make our way through that forest or traverse the tunnel fast enough to evade pursuit. Let us hope that the elfling is on our side. How do we get out of here though? I don't just mean out of this mess, but how do we get back home?"

"Let's hope that there is someone in that little village that can help, or get us to someone that can. At least we know that we went back in time and not forward. Going to the time of the kinslayings though…"

"Do you think that this is before Ada was born?" The time of the kinslayings covered a large span of years. They were almost certainly in the First Age of Arda, but that knowledge alone was of limited value.

Elrohir looked at his brother and shrugged. "I would know this how?"

Elladan pinched the bridge of his nose; a gesture that his father often used when annoyed. "It would be my luck that this tunnel leads straight to Morgoth's personal keep. That is just how this day is going. If Ada learns what happened, we will never hear the end of it. This time, I look forward to hearing the lecture."

Elrohir nodded. "I hope we get that opportunity. That elfling hasn't said one word. I wonder if there is something physically wrong with him. Certainly, I hope he considers us friends as he seems to be our only hope at the moment."

"I wonder at his silence as well. Is he silent because he doesn't want to talk to us, or because he can't? If the latter is the case, I wonder if we can help."

Suddenly there was a chittering sound coming from across the room. It startled both elves and they looked sharply at the corner from which the sounds were emanating. It was dark though and they couldn't see anything. Elrohir started to walk over to find out what it was, when the sound of bat wings identified the new arrival.

"Ack! Bats!" Elrohir ran and dove into the hole in the floor. He huddled in the entrance to the tunnel, leaving his brother to save the day.

Elladan looked from his terrified brother to the sounds coming from across the room. He felt his little brother's fear rolling off of him in waves. He was developing the reputation of being a fearless warrior that would run from neither orc nor warg. Little did his admirers know, he was terrified of things that went bump in the night. Bats in particular sent him diving for cover every time.

"Don't worry 'Ro. I'll save you." When Elladan saw the intruder he snickered. "It is little more than a baby. Come out of there and stop acting like an elfling. He is probably just lost. No doubt, he is trying to call his mother."

"NO! I am staying right here."

Elladan rolled his eyes and walked to the corner. "What are you doing in here? This is no good place for a bat. My little brother is wetting himself in fear. Come on; let's find you a nice bat house outdoors." Gently he cupped his hands and scooped the little bat up. "I'll take him outside and away from the cabin."

Elrohir peeked over the edge of the loose boards and watched his brother take the evil bat away. He was unconvinced that the coast was clear though, and stayed in his hiding place.

When Elladan stepped back inside, he shook his head at his brother's continued panic. "Elrohir, are you still in that hole?" He had expected his brother to be at the door watching him dispose of the bat. Instead, he was still cowering in the hole in the floor. "The bat is gone. Get out of there. You don't want the elfling to see you like that, do you?"

"Bats live in colonies. Don't you know anything? The others are probably up the chimney flue waiting to fly out into the cabin and attack us. I'm staying right here."

Elladan sighed. "I'll take a look if that is what you want." The chimney was dark with soot and he wouldn't have known if a large monster bat was two feet in front of him. However he said, "All clear. There are no bats in the chimney you big baby."

Cautiously, Elrohir climbed out. "Let's make a fire to ensure they don't come in that way."

"Ro, calm down and think. We don't know where we are or what is out there. You know better." Elladan shook his head. "You are scared of bats. You are scared of mice. You think ravens are portents of death. You even believe that old human's story about blood suckers haunting the mountains surrounding Bree."

Elrohir shrugged. This wasn't the first time they had this discussion. "I am superstitious. There is no harm in that. Honestly, with a grandmother like ours, do you really blame me?"

"Elrohir!"

"Don't give me that. She knows things she shouldn't and it isn't all from that odd mirror of hers. She is a scary elleth and you know it!"

Elladan sighed. "Whatever. Calm down now. The wicked bat is gone and it isn't coming back."

A few moments later Elrohir whispered, "Hush. I hear something!"

Indeed he did. The elfling returned carrying a bundle. Inside was a loaf of bread, cheese and a wine bottle filled with water.

"Will someone not miss this food, pen'neth?" Elladan received no answer. The elfling ignored the question and began looking around the cabin for something. "If this were Imladris, the cooks wouldn't notice a loaf of bread and a couple of slices of cheese. This is a different matter altogether. From the looks of that village, they almost certainly won't be cooking such large quantities. I'm afraid that these food stuffs will be missed."

Elrohir paid no heed to the elfling as he nibbled the cheese. "If he is being truthful, his parents are dead. The elfling knows secret places. He is obviously used to sneaking around, but he hasn't been getting into that tunnel alone. It took both of us to move those rocks. My guess is that he knows what he is doing and has help. Maybe this isn't the first time that this cabin has been used to hide elves."

"Have you considered that someone might be hiding him here? I hope you are right and he has an adult guiding his actions. We will find out in time, I suppose." Elladan's eyes looked cautiously hopeful. "Speaking of time, have you come up with any ideas on how to get back to our own?"

"If I knew how to do it, don't you think that I'd have done so by now? That elfling might be able to sneak a loaf of bread, but he isn't going to get us back to Imladris. We have to speak with an adult, and soon."

The elfling was practically breaking his neck, searching the ceiling.

Suddenly, a thought occurred to Elrohir. "Are you looking for that nasty bat? Have bats been a problem here? Elladan got rid of it a few minutes ago. All is safe for the night."

The elfling's eyes widened and he rushed for the door. The twins exchanged puzzled glances.

The elfling didn't make it one hundred yards outside before Elrohir scooped him up. Elladan heard the wolves first. They were much too close for comfort. The twins dashed inside and secured the door.

"Pen'neth, what were you thinking? It is dark and there are wild animals outside. Surely you know better."

There was no question but that the wolves were right outside, but Elladan noted that the elfling showed no fear. "I wonder if the wild animals of the forest are your friends. Maybe they are even his protectors, 'Ro."

"I have no idea and frankly it does not matter to me. They are not our friends whether they are his or not." Elrohir looked at the elfling and cocked his head. "I don't know what time it is, but it is dark out there. Perhaps it is time for you to go to bed, pen'neth."

The elfling shook his head vigorously, but a yawn gave him away. He was little and the day's exertions had tired him. Although he didn't want to admit it, he was sleepy.

Elladan sat him on the bed and removed his shoes. "Do you have a nightshirt pen'neth?"

The elfling jumped off the bed and slipped out of his clothes. Then he looked at Elladan expectantly.

"I'll take that as a no." The elder twin turned back the covers and tucked the elfling in. "Go to sleep now. You have had a full day."

Elrohir picked up the book. "I'll read you a story if you promise to go to sleep." It didn't take long for his smooth voice to lull the elfling into a sound sleep.

There would be no sleep for the twins that night though. Neither would they be going anywhere. When Elrohir finally began pacing like a caged cat, Elladan looked at his brother and sighed. "It is going to be all right. I know that you hate cramped places like this cabin, but hang on a while longer."

"Like I have a choice," muttered Elrohir.