Back in Time by sbyte

Story notes: The plotbunny was hiding in the Library of Moria Challenges. Cheysuli is responsible for sneaking it in. There is no romance or sex. It is just a little spoof written late at night while playing with the idea. The plotbunny as posted in the Library of Moria challenges is cut and pasted below:

Erestor and Twins plotbunny by Cheysuli

Summary: The twins accidentally cast a spell that sends them many, many years into the past. There, they meet a young orphan elven boy who lives alone in an abandoned cabin in the woods. Before they return home, they give the child (who never said a word to them) a mithril locket, telling him that if he ever needed money, to sell it. After they return to their time, they notice that the necklace Erestor always wears is the same necklace they gave to the young child.

Author's note: My spin on the plotbunny differs in that there is some question as to whether the elfling actually lives in the cabin any longer. The twins can't know positively as the elfling never speaks. Instead they have to reach their own conclusions. The twins are young adults. Their parents are not in Imladris at the time.

Beta: The most wonderful and lovely Chloe Amethyst read this chapter for me months ago. Although I will list two women as betas in the following chapters, they didn't touch anything in this chapter.
"What are you reading?"

Elrohir was leaning on Erestor's desk, reading from a large tome. His lopsided smile made Elladan curious to know its cause. Not often did humor find its way to the counselor's desk.

"It is a book of 'magic spells' written in common. They are obvious fakes that were probably written by some long dead charlatan. None of it can be taken seriously, so I wonder why it is on Erestor's desk. I have certainly never known him to go in for anything so ludicrous." Elrohir chuckled. "This is priceless. I've found one that is supposed to make a person travel in time. Want to try it? Perhaps we can travel back and meet Uncle Elros, or travel forward and see what becomes of Arda after Sauron falls," Elrohir snickered.

Elladan rolled his eyes and replied, "If it is all foolishness, why would I?"

"Simple. It will give lie to the veracity of this body of work, and give us something new to tease Erestor about." Elrohir snickered. "Don't tell me you are frightened."

Elladan looked affronted. "Oh, all right. What am I supposed to do?"

"I guess we should hold hands while I read the spell."

Elladan smirked and took his brother's hand. "I hope no one sees us doing this."

"Hush. It probably won't work if the caster is laughing." Elrohir tried to look solemn. He cleared his throat and began, "Sucellos, god of love and time, hear these words. Hear this rhyme. Wait. This won't work. We need something else. It says something about a sign. What can we use?"

"I'm no magician. All I know is from the story books Ada used to read us." Elladan surveyed the room. "We could use that candle."

"We need more than that." Elrohir closed the door before fetching the candle. It wouldn't do for them to be seen chanting fake magic spells.

Elladan tried to remember anything pertinent, but all he could come up with was a few bedtime stories. "Mayhap we can prick our fingers and let blood drip into the fire of the candle."

Elrohir chuckled. "I remember that story. If I recall, the wicked sorcerer was turned into a mouse."

Elladan shrugged and asked, "Can you think of something better?"

So the twins lit a candle and pierced their skin to draw blood. "Now I am going to read the spell again, and we shall drip blood into the flame as I go along."

Elladan nodded.

"Sucellos, god of love and time, hear these words. Hear my rhyme. Sucellos, we send to you this burning sign. For the betterment of all, send us to a different time."

The brothers looked at one another and smiled. Elladan was about to make a comment about his brother's future in the magic arts when he began to feel queasy. His brother's startled expression indicated that he felt it too. Then, all went black.