The Wrong Girl by Kathryn Ramage

The other hobbits turned to look in the direction that Peri was pointing; a pony was flying down the road from Green Hill toward them.

"He's riding very fast," observed Ada. "It must be a messenger."

The gathering of Tooks and their guests went down the front slope of the hill as the pony drew nearer and leapt over the rose-bushes to stop on the lawn before them. They could see now that the rider was a young girl.

"Have I reached the Thain's Hall?" she asked.

"Yes, that's right," Paladin answered, somewhat perplexed. "I am Thain Paladin, and this is my wife, Lady Eglantine."

The girl smiled at them. "How do you do, Uncle, Auntie? I'm Di Took."

She was very young--twenty-six, if Frodo recalled correctly what he'd heard about Diamond Took last year when the match had been arranged. Her hair was bright red, the color of autumn leaves, cut shorter than most girls wore it, and in a wild tumble from her riding. She had the fox-like features, pointed nose and long chin, that were characteristic of the Took family, north and south, and freckles splashed across her nose and cheeks like a spatter from a paint-brush.

"Auntie Diamanta's been delayed," she explained, "but I wanted so badly to come that I couldn't wait another day."

"You came all the way from Long Cleeve by yourself?" Eglantine asked with some alarm.

"I've never gone so far alone before, but it was rather fun. I didn't get lost at all, but rode straight down the Oatbarton road. People were so helpful along the way, and gave me good directions to Tuckborough whenever I wasn't certain which way to go. And here I am!"

As Di swung her leg over the saddle in preparation to dismount, it became obvious to all that she was wearing trousers. The girl jumped down from her pony unaided, and looked at the astonished little group that had gathered around her. "Which one of you lads is Pippin?" Her eyes darted curiously from Frodo to Ferdi to Dodi, until Pippin shyly stepped forward to introduce himself.

Di looked him over. "So you're the boy I'm going to marry?"

"Er- yes," said Pippin. "That is, if we like each other."

She grinned. "We'll have to see about that!"

Eglantine stared at this odd and outspoken little creature, utterly scandalized, but she summoned all her skills as a hostess. "We were just having tea when you arrived, my dear child. You'll want a cup-"

"Yes, thank you, Auntie! I'm famished! I think I could eat a whole pie and a plate of sandwiches without help."

"After you change out of your- ah- riding habit."

"Oh, these?" Di looked down and tugged at her dusty trousers. "It's shocking, I know, but they're so much easier to ride in than a skirt. If you'll show me where I'll be staying, Auntie, I'll be happy to put on something more ladylike." She pulled her travel-bag down from the back of the pony's saddle and went with Eglantine into the Hall.

The Tooks stood silently for a moment after they had gone.

"So that's Diamond Took," Pippin said in amazement.

Dodi was the first to laugh; Ferdi joined in, and the girls began to giggle.

"What could Aunt Di have been thinking?" Pearl wondered as they returned to the terrace. "How could she suggest that such a hoyden would be suitable for our Pip?"

"It seems to me to be a perfect match," Ferdi laughed. "She's as close to a boy as a girl can get!"