On First Sight by Undomiel

Rúmil wandered around Minas Tirith aimlessly, lost in his own thoughts. After a late breakfast in the kitchens - everyone else seemed to have already eaten - he had decided to pay his dear brothers and the Lady of Rohan a visit. However, after an hour of listening to Orophin talking excitedly about the Golden Wood, he had grown a bit bored and decided to leave the three alone.

The fact that watching Haldir and …owyn had made him feel slightly uneasy had nothing to do with it. How they had been sitting close to each other, always touching and sharing a sweet kiss occasionally. The way they had snuck small glances at one another every few minutes, so full of love and passion. And how they seemed to glow when they were in the others presence. Of course it did not fuel his own desire for similar touches, or looks, or kisses. No, that was not the reason why he had almost fled the room. It had nothing to do with it. Nothing at all. He snorted softly. Maybe if he told himself often enough, he might even start believing it.

So, after he had left the others, he had started strolling around, not really knowing what to do. He knew almost no one here aside from the ones who had come with them. He did not know his surroundings, and he missed Lórien. He missed the trees of the Golden Wood, the tranquillity they bestowed upon him.

He felt out of control, and he didn't like the feeling. Additional to that he seemed to be unable to keep his mind away from the encounter the previous day. Try as he might to distract himself, his thoughts would always come back to the young man he had never met before. He was being tormented by the image of gentle brown eyes in an even gentler face. Of warm, red-brown curls gleaming like fire in the dying sunlight. Of a muscular body with strong arms. Of the warm and calming presence the other had exuded.

Heaving a frustrated sigh, Rúmil shook himself out of his thoughts. Looking around, he was startled to find himself at the entrance to the gardens. Again. Without him noticing, his treacherous feet had carried him to the place where all his troubles had started. He stared down at them warily as if they had a life of their own, almost daring them to make a move without his consent.

Realizing exactly what he had been thinking, and rolling his eyes at his own silliness; he looked up again and wondered where to head next. He glanced towards the entrance of the gardens once more. He felt drawn towards it as if by an invisible power. Insecurity and the craving in his heart battled for dominance inside him, until he finally gave in and started walking towards the gardens.

As he strode along, he felt himself relax slightly for the first time since the last evening. The beautiful nature surrounding him helped to calm his troubled mind. Lost in thought again, he soon found himself in the same place as the day before, in front of the rosebush. All of a sudden, a strange sensation overcame him and the fluttering inside his stomach seemed to intensify.

As he glanced around uncertainly, his eyes fell on the figure approaching him. Unable to move, he simply stared at the young man who had not yet noticed him. But even as this thought ran through his mind, the other looked up, and their eyes locked. Just like before.

All thoughts fled his mind for a second as he looked into the gentle brown eyes again, eyes he had seen in his dreams all night. He felt these eyes on him, like a soft caress, exploring his face, his body, making him feel warm all over. The fluttering in his stomach ebbed away to be replaced by a sweet ache in his chest, a feeling so intense it threatened to steal his breath away. He felt like he was floating above the ground, carried away by this gentle gaze. Drowning in it...

The emotions seemed to overwhelm him, confusing him, driving fear through his heart like a spear. Not knowing what else to do, or how to react to this onslaught, he chose the easiest way out. He turned around abruptly, prepared to flee just like he had before. But before he could take another step, he heard a voice calling out to him.

"Rúmil, please wait."




Rúmil halted in his tracks, stopped by the voice calling out to him. It washed over him like a warm summer rain, deep and gentle like everything else about the man. But something seemed strange. The man had called out to him. Had called him by his name. Although they had only just met the other day; and never spoken to each other before.

Startled, and more than a little curious, Rúmil slowly turned around just as the man caught up with him, one hand slightly extended towards him as if afraid he might vanish if he didn't hold him back. They now stood only inches apart, close enough to fully take in the other's presence. Neither of them spoke for several moments, just looking at one another in a mixture of longing, insecurity and....something else. Something indefinable.

Rúmil was the first to find back his voice. "How do you know my name?" was the first thing that came to his mind. Maybe it wasn't the most intelligent of questions to ask, but at least it was better than the intense emotions that had started to build between them.

Faramir was rendered speechless for a moment as he took in the elf's voice. Never before had he heard such a lovely sound. The soft, lilting tones went straight to his heart and settled there, along with all the other confused feelings churning through him at the moment.

But after a few endless moments he was finally able to pull himself out of his reverie, and he replayed the elf's question in his mind. Realizing what had been asked, he felt a slight blush creeping into his cheeks, and a feeling of being caught came over him. Embarrassment coursing through him, he looked anywhere but at Rúmil and answered softly, "I asked one of the healers about you. She told me that since the one called Orophin stayed most of his time with Lady …owyn and Haldir, there was a good chance that you were ... well ... Rúmil." He shut his mouth abruptly as he realized he was babbling. The blush on his face deepened to a darker shade, matching the red highlights in his hair. And still he was avoided looking at the elf.

Rúmil couldn't keep a smile of amusement spreading across his features as he listened to the rambling of the other. He found it rather endearing how he avoided his gaze, a lovely blush covering his cheeks. Finally taking pity in the embarrassed young man across from him, he decided to take control of the conversation. "I see. Your young healer was right. I am called Rúmil of Lórien. Now, it appears that you have me at a disadvantage..."

Having caught himself and finally looking into the fascinating sky blue eyes of the elf before him, Faramir blushed again as he realized that he had been rather impolite towards the other. "Of course. I am sorry; I seem to have forgotten my manners for a moment. My name is Faramir. "

Rúmil tried to recall where he had heard that name before, because it sounded familiar to him. Ah, yes. He was the Steward of Gondor. He had once met his brother, Boromir, as the Fellowship had reached the borders of Lothlórien. Smiling slightly at the still flustered youth, he spoke again. "It is a pleasure meeting you, Faramir of Gondor. "

Faramir smiled back, basking in the beauty of the elf's smile. Unable to form coherent speech, and afraid that he might start babbling again, he only nodded in answer. Sensing the man's unease, Rúmil decided that it might be best for both of them if he took his leave. Besides, he may appear confident to Faramir, but his mind was in turmoil, and he longed for a quite place to sort out his thoughts.

"Now", Rúmil began, "I do not wish to hold you back any longer. I am sure you have other things to do, so I will leave you now. Farewell, Faramir." Just as he was about to turn around, he felt a hand on his arm, and a spark of electricity seemed to run through his body. Startled, he turned back, looking questioningly at Faramir.

"Stay. Please." Faramir blushed once again. This was really getting embarrassing. He was sure he had never before in his life blushed so much in only a few minutes. But if he let the elf go now, he might never see him again. And deep in his heart he knew that he would never forgive himself should that happen. Releasing Rúmil's arm, he decided to try once more.

"I am sorry. It is just...you don't hold me back from anything important. I have been here on my own for some time, recovering from an injury. It gets lonely after a while. So I wanted to ask if you could... If you'd be willing to keep me company. I mean ... only if you have time, of course." Faramir looked down. He was rambling again, and the elf surely thought him pathetic. Heaving a resigned sigh, he opened his mouth to apologize as Rúmil started to speak.

"I have nothing to do as well. And it would be a pleasure to keep you company, Faramir of Gondor." He smiled at the surprised look on the human's face. He was really rather endearing. And charming as well. And very attractive. Before he could follow that train of thought further, he was graced by a blinding smile from Faramir. "I am glad. Shall we walk for a bit? I know a few exceptionally beautiful places in this garden." Rúmil only nodded and walked beside Faramir further down the path.




Later that night, Faramir lay in his bed, smiling happily as he thought back on the events of the day. They had spent the whole day together, talking about everything that came to mind. They had gotten to know each other quite well along the way, and Faramir had to admit that he felt even more intrigued by the elf than before.

Rúmil of Lórien. A warm feeling spread through his body as he recalled the sweet face. A face that he would see again, because Rúmil had agreed to meet him again tomorrow. To continue their conversation. The thought of spending more time with Rúmil filled him with happiness. Closing his eyes, he fell into a peaceful sleep, filled with images of a beautiful, blonde elf...