Love Letters: A Frodo Investigates! Mystery by Kathryn Ramage

Frodo returned to the drawing room with the packet of letters tucked inside the breast of his waistcoat; it made a slight bulge, but he had worn a loose-fitted jacket in anticipation of finding and concealing this very object. Estella was sitting up on the sofa, "recovered" from her fainting spell and sipping the brandy that Mrs. Stillwaters pressed on her. She submitted to Beryl's fussing and she didn't seem to mind Ilbie's patting her hand. Although the excitement was over, most of the hobbits in the room were still gathered around the girl. No one had observed Frodo's absence.

The party began to disperse soon after. Beryl insisted that Estella be taken home, and Asphodel's carriage was brought from the stable first. Others followed, thanking Mrs. Stillwaters for a most enjoyable time. After the last of the guests had departed, Frodo remained with his hostess to discuss his progress--though the conversation was not to be what the lady expected.

They left the drawing room so that the servants could clear the remains of the tea party, and went to a smaller, more private family parlor on the other side of the house. "Well now, Mr. Baggins," Mrs. Stillwaters said as she sat down. "Have you discovered anything that might lead us to find Camellia?"

"As a matter of fact, Mrs. Stillwaters, I've just made a remarkable discovery, although I can't yet say if it will help me to find your daughter-in-law. Perhaps you can tell me." Frodo took the packet of letters out of his waistcoat and set it down on the low table before her. "What do you know about these?"

The lady stared at the letters, and went pale. "Where- How did you find them?"

"When I learned that Camellia never received them, I asked at the post office," Frodo answered frankly. "I spoke to your courier, who remembered delivering them quite clearly. He said he gave them to you. I had only to look for them. It was an unforgivable breach of privacy and common courtesy, and I'm very sorry that I had to do it, but it hasn't been the first breach in this case."

Some of the color returned to Mrs. Stillwaters's face. "No, it hasn't," she agreed, and was silent for a minute while she composed herself. At last, she said, "It isn't normally my custom to open other people's private correspondence, Mr. Baggins, but the courier said that the package was for Mrs. Stillwaters, and I opened it before I realized my mistake. Once the package had been opened, I couldn't possibly give it to Camellia, and let her know that I knew why she had consulted you. That would have been a terrible embarrassment for us both. I thought it best to keep them. I did not read the letters--not then, not until after Camellia had gone, and I hoped to find some clue within them as to what had happened to her."

"Is this why you thought she'd gone to Rolo Bindbole?" asked Frodo. "Not because of any old gossip."

"I had heard the old gossip before Val and Camellia were betrothed, but I never knew the name of the boy involved before I saw it written there."

"And when she disappeared, you wrote to me because of this?"

"Your Aunt Asphodel had been urging me to do so, but it was your note to Camellia that decided me. I understood the service you'd performed for her. After she had gone, I thought you must know more of the matter than I did, and that I could rely on your discretion, as Camellia had." She looked dismayed. "Unfortunately, our efforts at discretion have been ineffective. People will talk scandal, and so they have."

"Did you know of Camellia's letters before then, Mrs. Stillwaters?" Frodo asked. "I'd also like to know why you hired Betula Root."

"Betula?" Mrs. Stillwaters was surprised at the question. "What does she have to do with this?"

"She was the one who stole those letters from your daughter-in-law," Frodo explained.

"Was she?" The lady's mouth turned down. "I hired Betula Root because I wanted a maid to attend Val's bride, and Betula was represented to me as a good, reliable girl who would do well as a lady's maid."

"Did you know her before you hired her?"

"No, but she came with recommendations. Her aunt is employed as cook for an acquaintance of mine in Whitfurrows. In time, I saw that I'd been misled as to her character. The girl was entirely unsuitable!"

"And you dismissed her," said Frodo. "Was it because she stole those letters from Camellia?"

"No. I didn't know she had until you told me... although I'm not in the least surprised to learn it. Betula was just the sort for thievery."

"You didn't ask her to take them from your daughter-in-law's writing desk?"

"Of course not!" Mrs. Stillwaters responded. "I realize that I've given you reason to doubt my scruples, but I resent the suggestion that I would ever commit so dishonest an act! I tell you that I had no idea that those letters existed, until they were returned to this house. I didn't know of them, nor of their theft or Betula's part in it."

"Why did you dismiss Betula then?" Frodo persisted. "How was she unsuitable?"

"Because..." She pressed her lips together, as if the words were distasteful, but she had to speak. "Betula Root was a scheming hussy who got above her proper place."

Frodo was about to ask what she meant by this, and then he understood--and, suddenly, he saw it all.