Love Letters: A Frodo Investigates! Mystery by Kathryn Ramage

But when they went to breakfast the next morning, they learned that Rolo had gone. The other three hobbits were already in the little breakfast room, talking excitedly.

"We didn't know he'd gone until I unlocked his door to let him out and see if he wanted breakfast," Merry explained to Frodo. "He climbed out the bedroom window, by the look of it. We never heard a thing."

"I'm sorry, Frodo," Ilbie apologized. "We should've kept a closer eye on him."

"It's not your fault, Ilb," Frodo consoled him. "You weren't set to keep guard over him. No one was. I honestly didn't believe he'd run off this way."

"We knew he was up to no good!" lamented Sam.

"Yes, but we couldn't have locked him in the cupboard, or tied him to the bedpost to keep him from leaving," said Frodo. "The innkeeper wouldn't stand for it. We've no authority to hold him prisoner, and not enough proof of his guilt to take him to the shirriffs."

"Well, this running off looks like he's guilty through and through!" said Sam.

"Perhaps," Frodo said thoughtfully, and the other hobbits looked confused; they all assumed that Frodo was sure he'd found the person responsible for Camellia Stillwaters's disappearance, whether she was alive or dead. This sounded like doubt.

"Don't you think he's done it after all?" Sam asked him.

"His actions do look suspicious," Frodo agreed, "and he's lied to us more than once, but he's not the only one I suspect. There are others..."

"Do you want us to find him, Frodo?" asked Pippin.

"Yes, please. He's most likely headed for home, by the west road or the north."

"We can ride out a bit both ways and see if there's any sign of him," said Merry. "It will give us an idea of which way to go."

"We'll catch up with him one way or the other in the end," added Pippin. "Where else does he have to go, except back to the Wood?"

Once they'd finished their breakfasts, they prepared to go out in search of Rolo. Frodo had his own breakfast with Sam, and emerged from the breakfast room just as his cousins were heading out to the stable. To his surprise, Mr. Bilbury was also in the front hall, talking to the innkeeper.

Mr. Bilbury was equally surprised to see him. "Why it's Mr. Frodo Baggins!" he cried as he turned from the broad desk in the entryway, which the innkeeper stood behind, and came toward Frodo. "The innkeeper here says he has no rooms available, and now I see why. The place is filled to the rafters with young lads. Are they all relatives of yours?"

"All but one," said Frodo, and gestured to indicate Sam. "This is my friend, Mr. Gamgee. What brings you here, sir?" He'd been hoping to question the Bilburys further; Mr. Bilbury would be on his guard, since he knew that Frodo was investigating his niece's disappearance, but Frodo had not forgotten that a hobbit of Mr. Bilbury's description had been seen at the Polwygle Inn during the first week of August.

"My wife Rue wanted to see if I could find some sign of our Cammie--any trace of a foot-traveler or pony beside the road," Mr. Bilbury explained. "I've also been asking at the inns along the way."

"I've asked at the inns too, particularly the Polwygle. Did you find anything?"

Mr. Bilbury did not react to the pointed jab in this query, but shook his head and said, "Nothing. I'm calling on Mrs. Stillwaters later this morning, to see what she can tell us of Cammie's last days before she left the Hall: whether she took a pony, or might've walked off, if her bags were packed--that sort of thing."

Frodo had to smile. "Are you conducting your own investigation, sir?"

"Well, just for Mrs. Bilbury and myself. Rue's been troubled by thoughts of poor Cammie lying dead or injured by the road somewhere, and I thought I could at least put her mind to rest as to that. I can't do more--I don't know this part of the Shire, and don't have a troop of lads to help look into things for me."

"You don't know this part of the Shire," Frodo repeated. "Have you never been to Budgeford before?"

"Just the once, last winter, for Cammie's wedding," Mr. Bilbury answered. "She was married from Stillwater Hall, you know. I haven't been back since."

It was then that Frodo noticed the innkeeper, who'd been pretending to study his registry book while listening to their conversation, had looked up; he met Frodo's eyes and opened his mouth in an oddly urgent expression, as if he had something he desperately wanted to say. The innkeeper was behind Mr. Bilbury, who didn't see this urgent look.

"Will you excuse me for a minute, please," Frodo said to Mr. Bilbury. "I think I can arrange a room for you--one of my party has left." He went over to the innkeeper's desk and, standing at the opposite side, bent his head over as if he too were studying the registry book.

"What is it, Mr. Noakes?" he asked softly.

"I heard what the gentleman was telling you, Mr. Baggins, as he hasn't been here afore," the innkeeper murmured. "But that isn't so. He's been here, in this very inn, not more'n two weeks ago. I didn't know his name then."

"He didn't sign his name?" Frodo glanced down at the most recent entries on the page of the book open between them.

"No, sir. He didn't stop the night, only sat in our common-room for three or four hours of an afternoon, then went on his way."

"Do you remember what day that was? Was it August 5th?" He tried to keep calm as he asked the question; since they were meant to be discussing accommodations, a raised voice or change in tone would sound very odd and rouse Mr. Bilbury's suspicions.

"It was around then, at the beginning of hay-making. I couldn't swear to the exact day. I wouldn't've remembered it, Mr. Baggins, only it come back into my head of a sudden-like, when I heard you ask. Now, maybe the gentleman don't call that 'being to Budgeford,' but as you're investigating certain matters-" Mr. Noakes spoke discreetly, but with some relish; even though Frodo and his companions had never told him why they were here, he knew who they were and was enjoying the distinction it gave his business. "I know how you take an interest in the comings and goings of folk. I thought as you ought to know."

"Yes, I see. Thank you for telling me." Frodo stood up a little straighter, away from the desk. "You can give Mr. Bilbury the room I took for the young hobbit last night," he added. "He won't be needing it any longer."




When he left the inn, Frodo went to visit Fatty. He spoke with his cousin in the study; there was no offer of wine so early in the day, but Fatty did give him a pipe to smoke while they talked.

"I was hoping you'd write me about the news in Budgeford," Frodo said once he had settled down in one of the comfortable chairs. "You haven't had much to say, Fatty-lad."

"My dear Frodo, there hasn't been much worth writing about Val's comings and goings," Fatty rejoined. "He doesn't seem inclined to stay at home these days, but he never did. He has his friends--not my own circle, you understand--and he goes about with them. I wouldn't attempt to join them after that last little fracas at the Bridge, but I've done my best to learn where he spends his time. I've made up a list. I did mean to mail it at the end of the week, only you've come back sooner than I expected " Fatty rose to look for his notebook; when he found it, he gave it to Frodo. "I've put a lot of effort into this detecting business on your account, Frodo, though I must say the work isn't at all what I thought it'd be. I've had quite enough of it--that is, if you don't need my services any longer."

"I'm sure you've done a respectable job, Fatty. Thank you." Frodo pocketed the notebook. "Will you be going to Stillwater Hall this afternoon? I must look for something hidden in the private rooms, and I may need assistance to gain access to them."

Fatty looked intrigued, but shook his head. "But Aunt Beryl and 'Stella are going--and if 'Stel's going, I expect Ilbie will go too. I'm sure one or the other will be happy to do what you ask."