Son of Fleetfoot by Kathryn Ramage

Crowds began to gather on the fairfields early the next day. Although the first race was not until midday, ardent enthusiasts of the sport liked to come well in advance to look over the ponies that were going to run and have a chat with the riders and owners. Also, a good number of hobbits saw the Lithetide races as a time to gather and meet their friends from other parts of the Shire, hear the news, and have picnics, as much as an opportunity to wager on ponies. Indeed, many had brought enormous wicker baskets full of provender to see that they were well supplied throughout the day.

With less than a mile to travel, the hobbits at the Whitfoot smial might have arrived as early as they chose, but instead chose to come late. Lad and Milo had agreed that it would be best to delay the announcement that Fleetfoot wouldn't be racing until shortly before the first race began. Once they showed up at the fairfields without their well-known pony, it would surely be noticed. Frodo had his own reasons for coming late; he wanted to be sure that everyone who might be involved in Fleet's disappearance was at the fairfields ahead of them.

Who would have been running against Fleetfoot? Lad and Milo had provided a list of names the night before: Goldopho Brownlock's pony Windchaser, Happ Broadbanks' Shooting Star, Brugo Folgray's Lightning, and Mrs. Broombindle had a new pony named Twinkletoes.

"She thought Twinklehooves sounded silly," Lad explained once the party had arrived at the westernmost end of the field, where the owners of the ponies traditionally gathered to show them before they were run. The widow Broombindle and her young daughter were at the center of a circle of hobbits examining this new contender. "I've seen him run at her farm and he might've given Fleet a challenge, but I doubt it's her. We've been friends for ages. Besides, she and Myrtle are the only ones I've shown Candlestick to, so they know we've got another pony to run. He won't come as a surprise to them."

"I know Mrs. Broombindle," said Frodo, "and I know Dolpho." The Brownlocks were distantly related to the Bagginses. "Can you point the others out, please?" As Lad and Milo picked out these most likely suspects from among the crowd, Frodo and Sam saw another face they knew well.

"There's Pippin," said Sam.

Pippin had seen them too, and made his way toward them, leaping up on his toes to be seen over the heads of the other hobbits between them, and shouting out names. "I've been looking for you all morning," he said cheerfully once he had reached them. "Frodo, hullo! It's a surprise to see you here."

"Isn't Master Merry with you?" Sam asked, and did not look terribly disappointed when Pippin shook his head.

"He couldn't come. There's too much work to do in Buckland, getting ready for the haymaking. He says he can't shove it all off on Uncle Merry and go running off whenever he feels like it."

"Poor Merry. The responsibilities of the Master of the Hall outweigh a jaunt to the races," said Milo, with a small, wry smile. "As much as Merry might wish they didn't."

"But he told me to tell you he hopes you'll be bringing Fleet to the Bridgefield races in August," Pippin replied. "Uh- where is Fleety?" The only pony in the company of his friends was the colt Candlestick, a little nervous at being among so many strangers, being led by Moro. "Isn't he running today?"

"I'm afraid not," Milo answered. Frodo took Pippin aside to explain what had happened and what he hoped to accomplish today.

Pippin listened to it all with sympathy and intense interest, and responded, "What can I do to help?"

"I believe it's time to announce that Fleet isn't here," Frodo answered. "Milo and Lad are going to tell the other owners, but I've asked Sam to go and tell the people who are placing wagers on the ponies in this first race. Can you do the same? See if you can find out who's wagering against Fleet, and make note of their reactions to the news."