Lotho Sackville-Baggins Is Missing by Kathryn Ramage

Story notes: Notes: Like my first mystery, "Death on the Brandywine," this story takes elements from the book, but also uses two key points from the film version or LOTR: the Shire is untouched, and the four main hobbits are all around the same age.

Many of the names used in this story are taken from the Baggins family tree in Appendix C, but the characterizations are mostly my own (again, with apologies to any respectable hobbits whom I've suggested might be involved in Lotho's mysterious disappearance).

This story takes place in the spring of 1420 (S.R.), about six months after the boys have returned from the quest, and begins a week or so after the events in "Death on the Brandywine."

Disclaimer: The characters and overall storyline are certainly not mine. They belong to J.R.R. Tolkien's estate, and I'm just playing with them to entertain myself and anyone else who likes this kind of thing.

December 2004

The Frodo Investigates! series
Sam awoke to the faint gray light of early morning stealing in between the curtains on the circular window above the bed in the master bedroom at Bag End. The first thing he saw when he opened his eyes was the familiar image of Frodo's back, turned to him, and a tangle of dark curls spread on the white pillowcase.

A familiar sight... but every morning, it surprised him anew. He'd been living at Bag End for six months, but was not yet used to this new life that Frodo had opened up for him.

When Frodo had invited him to live here, he'd made it clear that Sam was not to be his servant. You can look after me, of course, Frodo had said. I couldn't stop you from doing that even if I wanted to. But that's not why I ask you, Sam--not because I need a nurse, but because you are my friend and dearest love, and I'd be awfully lonely without you. This will be your home as much as mine.

What Frodo hadn't said, but what Sam had come to realize since, was that Frodo intended to bring him up from his natural place in the world and make a gentlehobbit out of him. Other people might assume that they were master and servant, but within this house they would be equals. It was an idea that both of them were still adjusting themselves to, and there were often awkward assumptions and mistakes.

Sam also understood that Frodo was trying to offer him a sort of marriage, even if it was nothing like the ordinary marriages he'd observed. Even among the fine folk, Sam knew that when two people wed, they each had their proper tasks within and outside of the house, in the management of the kitchen, in the handling of household business, and in taking care of the children--and there were always children, at least one or two and perhaps as many as a dozen. But it wasn't like that in this household. In fact, it often seemed to Sam that he had taken on most of the duties of both husband and wife, while Frodo was his child to be fussed over and tended to.

He didn't mind that at all. Frodo was ill and needed special care; he would be well soon if he'd only rest and watch his health. Besides, Sam knew he wouldn't be happy if he didn't have Frodo to look after. Nevertheless, this arrangement was a little odd and difficult for a conventionally-minded hobbit to get used to.

From time to time, Sam imagined what it would be like to have a normal married life. He would never admit this to Frodo, however, even though Frodo had told him that he shouldn't spend his best years tending to an invalid, and it was all right for him to marry a girl who understood the way it was between them. He wouldn't do it. It would look as if he were unhappy with his choice, and he wasn't. Not in the least. He didn't regret any choice he had ever made as far as Frodo was concerned, for he loved him more dearly than he could say.

And yet...

Sometimes, he felt as if there were two Samwise Gamgees: There was the Sam who was a simple, workaday hobbit, content with his lot in life, and who only wanted what any ordinary hobbit wanted--a wife and children, a snug little bungalow to call his own, and a patch of garden to tend. Then there was the other Sam, the one who had grown up listening to old Mr. Bilbo's tales of adventure and yearning to go off and visit the Elves, who wrote poetry and went on quests, and who had fallen in love with his gentleman. The two had been at war within him since childhood, and it looked lately as if the second Sam was winning.

He reached out and tenderly placed his hand on Frodo's back. At the touch, the muscles of Frodo's shoulders contracted and he made a soft sound of surprise. Then he rolled over to flop against Sam.

"I didn't mean to wake you," Sam said as he put an arm around him.

"'s all right," Frodo answered without opening his eyes. "I'm not awake yet." He snuggled drowsily closer, burying his nose in Sam's nightshirt collar and laying one hand lightly on his chest. He was quiet for so long that Sam thought he had fallen back to sleep and was reluctant to move at all lest he wake Frodo again, when Frodo asked, "Are you going to let me get up today?"

"If you're feeling fit enough for it."

The recent family tragedy at Brandy Hall had been a horrible strain on Frodo emotionally as well as physically; he'd been utterly exhausted by the time they'd returned home, and hadn't argued when Sam sent him straight to bed. Frodo had remained meekly compliant all week--staying in bed on his orders, eating whatever food was put before him without the usual protests about not being hungry--but Sam suspected that that was because Frodo was grateful for the enforced rest. He'd slept, and read, and put together his notes for the book he planned to write about their adventures, and only got up to bathe and to join Sam by the parlor fire in the evenings. When Frodo felt well enough, Sam was sure he wouldn't be able to keep him abed a minute longer.

"I am beginning to feel restless lying here all day. It might do me good to be up and about for an hour or two. Besides, it's not fair," Frodo said, teasing now. "You insist I stay in bed, and you won't stay with me."

It was an appealing idea, but Sam replied in the same playful tone, "You wouldn't get much rest if I did! Besides, there's too much work to do for me to stay lying abed. I've got your bath to draw, and breakfast to cook. The best guestroom's got to be made ready if Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin are coming for their visit. And the garden needs tending. With all this rain we've been having, I haven't given it the care it needs. The weeds are starting to come up all over." He glanced up at the window over the bed; the sun had risen, and pinkish streaks of light were coming in through the curtains. It looked as if it were going to be a beautiful day. "I ought to spend the morning putting the flower beds in order. If you want to get up today, Frodo, why don't you come and sit out in the sunshine while I work?"