The Folly of Starlight 17. Interlude: The Distance That the Dead Have Gone by AC

"Husband?" The word rushed past Legolas' lips after an astonished gasp. "I did not know they were married, only that a great love passed between them." Suddenly unable to meet the other's expression of unmistakable pity, he turned his head away and closed his eyes.

"I had heard veiled murmurs from my father on occasion," he forlornly whispered. "They were meant as obvious insult, and I never thought to take them literally." A firm hand grasped his shoulder, and a soothingly smooth voice tried to bring comfort to a heart which had lost all hope.

"Although their love was known to all with eyes to see, the ties which truly bound them were known to the faithful alone. Do not think ill of my Lord or less of his devotion to you because he did not tell you of this himself. Their joy in marriage was but a single night before the dawning of the Last Alliance and long has been Elrond's grief."

Legolas opened his eyes and slowly turned to face Glorfindel's smiling countenance.

"Until the Valar blessed him with the gift of you," the ancient lord added most earnestly.

The compliment fell upon ears rendered deaf with grief. "Then what of the Lady Celebrian? I have heard that no love passed between her and Elrond. But if so, why would Elrond choose Miriel's fate for the one he truly loves -- for just as I have no doubt of his love for me now, I also have no doubt of his deep abiding love for the High King, even to this day."

A sigh whistled from Glorfindel's lips. "The ways of Manwe are known by few, it is said, and some things pass even his understanding. This was not the first time the Valar have conspired to bring about heirs of their own design in the Firstborn. Remember, I bore witness to such a union in my own home, although it was not completely bereft of love, as are some of its kind."

A spark of nascent understanding gleamed brightly in Legolas' eyes. "So this marriage to Lady Celebrian, and the High King's fate, was not Elrond's choice?"

"It was his choice in name alone. Sometimes the Valar bring together two for their own purposes. His line was not allowed to end -- for the greater good of Middle-earth.

Elbereth and her kin have greater plans for Elrond and his children than you or I can ever know."

"You know this to be true?" Legolas queried in a whisper braided with wonderment and trepidation.

"Lord Elrond has confided in me but a little on this, but enough for me to understand the painful sacrifices he has made and will make in this age to come." The smile returned to Glorfindel's face. "It gladdens my heart to know he will not face that pain alone."

Restlessly, Legolas shifted among the sheets, wincing as a sudden twinge of pain shot through his shoulder. "But what of love? Of free will?"

"Some would say there is no such thing -- that all is known to Iluvatar, and all has been determined before the First Age."

"Is that what you believe?" the prince desperately pushed, his words more a plea than a question.

"I believe things occur for a reason, but that the final choice is ours to make, even if it does not appear to be so."

Legolas pondered this for the passage of several breaths, before returning reluctantly to one particularly dismaying point. "What of the High King? Is his sacrifice to be forgotten? Did he agree to this willingly, or was that, too, the Valar's will?

"Of that I cannot say, for Elrond rarely speaks of the King to me, even to this day. He has hardly uttered the High King's name in my presence since his betrothal to Lady Celebrian."

"He has spoken of Gil-galad to me," Legolas admitted mournfully. "I held him while he shed tears for the High King's fate, although at the time I knew not why."

"Which is still more proof of his trust and devotion to you."

"And yet that devotion is in name alone, and can only remain so, as the Lady is now his lawful mate."

Glorfindel shared the prince's urgently expressed pain. For as much as he knew the prince now suffered in the complete knowledge of what truly stood in the way of a union with Elrond, the lord also well understood the depth of what Elrond must suffer in return. "She is not so for all time. Although my Lord has told me but a little, Lady Celebrian explained much to me before passing West. She bade me to care for her children and love them well, especially Elrohir, as she knew she would not see them again."

"They shall never pass West?" the prince incredulously queried. "Is that not the choice given to all the Firstborn?"

"That is not the only choice which the children of the Half-elven have to ponder,"

Glorfindel evasively offered. "I cannot speak with confidence, but the Lady herself believed not all would eventually see the Blessed Lands. Their fate and duty lay here, in Middle-earth. Yet even if they all pass over to the West, Celebrian's fate lay beyond Arda itself. She had doomed the High King to Miriel's fate, and would accept Finwe's in his stead, one day."

Legolas sunk backward into the pillows, defeat written in his very breath. "So the High King will return."

"So some say, when Middle-earth, and Elrond, need him most, if it is Iluvatar's will." Glorfindel studied the sorrowed expression of loss shadowing the prince's beauty. "Is it something you truly fear?"

"Would you not, if you were in my position?"

"If I were in your position, I would not waste a moment worrying about such a thing. If it were to occur, my worrying would not prevent it, and if it did occur, I would not have the regret of moments wasted in worry. I would enjoy what pleasures were gifted to me."

Legolas stared at the space just above the end of the bed, his recent return from the Halls of Awaiting suddenly seeming not so great a gift as it had only an hour before. "Is my fate to lose the only love I have ever known?"

"I cannot foretell your fate, Greenleaf, but one thing is clearer to me than Elbereth's stars above. Choices are to be made, by all. Of that I have no doubt."

"Elrond will be forced to choose between us?" Legolas slumped slightly against the pillows, then in the turn of a moment shifted purposefully to the most adamant of straightened postures. His chin set with the firmness of stone, he met the other's gaze with the unwavering power of Anar's midday rays. "I cannot hurt him so. I will not hurt him so. I will make the choice for him, and stand aside if the High King returns."

Glorfindel smiled slightly, impressed beyond measure by the prince's maturity and the depth of his selfless love. He reached out a hand and firmly grasped the other's forearm.

"It may not come to that, my friend. None may be certain what is truly the Valar's wish. Love him well, and without reservation, and allow the future to unfold as it will."

A smile finally returned to the gloom of the prince's face. "I swear to the first two without hesitation, and I will try to honor your last request of me." His lips twitched, the smile fading yet not completely disappearing. "Is there still hope to change what has already been decreed, hidden as it may be to our eyes?"

"There is always hope, but why are you so certain your future is one you would wish to be changed? The Lady of the Stars favors you, Legolas, of that I have no doubt. Pray to her, and I am certain she will take your words to heart. You may yet find your heart's desire and hers to be one and the same."

Legolas nodded slowly, hopefully, remembering a conversation of weeks before. "Lord Cirdan once told me much the same -- that I carry the fire of the Minyar, and hence the Lady's favor." Warily, he studied Glorfindel's features, recognizing something there. "My eyes, and my heart, tell me the same is true also of you."

"Although your father would be loathe to admit it, he and I can rightly call each other kin, as our mothers were cousins. You and the Greenleaf of Gondolin also have distant blood in common."

The prince's smile brightened to rival the brilliance of Anar itself. "That brings great joy to my heart, as I have always held you in a place of honor, even before meeting you in the flesh."

Glorfindel returned the other's affectionate expression. "Surely no higher than the regard in which I have come to hold you, Golden Prince. You will have 'balrogs' and 'witch kings' of your own to face, ere the end of this age. Perhaps, pray, not literally, but no less challenging, and I know you will succeed. Elrond has great wisdom in putting his heart, and his future, into your capable hands, young one. I see you caring for both with the loyalty of Ecthelion and the bravery of Tuor."

With a smile firmly perched upon his lips, Glorfindel rose from his chair and slowly turned to leave. A hesitant voice called out from behind him, stopping him mid-step.

"Has Ecthelion been released from Mandos' care?"

Glorfindel turned back to face the question, and those further ones he expected would closely follow. "Yes, before I, in fact."

"So he lives still, in the Blessed Lands."

"Yes."

Legolas hesitated, as though he wasn't quite sure he wanted to know the answer to the question tormenting him. "I have heard it said that Tuor and Idril reached the Blessed Lands in Earrame, and he alone of mortal men was given the gift of the Eldar."

Glorfindel nodded. "Those tales are true. I have seen him, and the daughter of my former king, with my own eyes. The light of the Eldalie now shines in Tuor's eyes, and he is hale and whole and strong of mind and form." He paused, then continued, saving Legolas from having to ask the final question. "Ecthelion and Tuor walk together again, in love and bliss. In reward for my promise to return to Middle-earth at the Valar's beckoning, the Lady graced me with the promise of the one thing I would ask of her -- that they shall enjoy their happiness without interruption until the end of days. Long have I served the house of Tuor, as it is still my honor and greatest joy to do."

"'Tis fitting, then, that you have found your greatest love in its midst, as well."

"Indeed." Glorfindel raised a hand and gestured in a reprimanding way. "Rest now, Greenleaf of Mirkwood, so you may enjoy your return to Elrond's bed, and the joys you have both so earnestly earned. I leave in the morning with my lord's sons to escort your family back to its realm. When we return, I expect to find you in full strength, and ready to serve as witness to the most joyous day of my life."

A cheeky smile adorned the prince's face. "I will not disappoint you."

"I know you would not." With a final lingering expression of satisfaction and affection, Glorfindel turned once more to leave.

As Legolas watched his friend and ally depart, his face grew to reflect the depth of his sorrow. May the Lady watch over you and give you the happiness you so richly deserve, my friend, for now I know there is no chance I might celebrate such a day of my own. He closed his eyes, and so complete was the cloak of foreboding doom which overwhelmed him that he did not hear the arrival of another into his room.

"What troubles you, Malthenel-nin? Do your wounds cause you renewed pain? Or did Glorfindel do something to disturb you?"

The soothing sound of his lover's voice returned peace to his heart, although not without the accompaniment of pangs of persistent pain. Legolas forced a reassuring smile to his lips, despite the lingering agony of what he considered the inevitable truth, and offered a hand for Elrond to claim. "He merely spoke of the past, and the future." He raised Elrond's fingers to his lips for a lingering, consecrating kiss. "I would rather enjoy the present."

The Lord of the Valley sat gingerly on the edge of the bed and cupped the prince's dear features with his free hand, rubbing his thumb along the finely sculpted arch of a cheek.

"You will get no argument from my lips." Flashing a flickering hint of a smile, he lowered his lips to the other's, intending to gently claim, but surprisingly finding himself the claimed. "Your strength returns," he playfully teased, extricating himself somewhat from the full circle of the other's arms before the intimacy of the situation became impossible to avoid. "I find my own is wavering."

"Your strength, or your restraint?"

Elrond chuckled, an eyebrow elegantly arching upward. "I see your brief sojourn in Mandos' care did nothing to curb your brazenness."

"You admit it was such?"

Reticent to delve into what he would rather deny, Elrond reverted to the levity of humor.

"What, that you are shamelessly brazen when it suits you?"

Legolas lowered his voice, yet simultaneously increased the hold he retained around his lover's waist. "No, that I had actually slipped from your grasp and into the Dark Halls."

Elrond made a small sound which softly strangled in his throat, his fingers caressing both sides of his beloved's face. "I know the body I held within my arms had no life until I breathed some of my own into it." He brushed his lips against the hairline of Legolas' forehead, trembling at the memories which flooded back of a terrible day not long before.

"I would have gladly given all of my breath, all of my strength, to bring you back, but the Lady did not deem such a price necessary."

Lingering in appreciation of the sweet contact, Legolas sighed softly. "Glorfindel believes the Lady returned me to your arms, and this life, for a reason."

"I need no reason, other than the joy I feel within my heart. Do you?"

The prince smiled, understanding that now was not the time for such a serious conversation with his still shaken lover. "No, I do not. It is enough that I am graced with the sight of your face and the taste of your lips for another day."

"And more days to come, to the very end of this age, and beyond," Elrond hopefully prayed aloud, collecting the other more completely into his arms.

As he eagerly melted into his lover's embrace, Legolas glanced upward at the carved image of the Lady protectively gazing down upon him. Whatever you ask of me, I will do, Blessed Starkindler, so long as I may continue to taste the love of Lord Elrond's heart. He swallowed hard, clinging to Elrond even tighter. Until another, more beloved still, returns from Mandos' care to take my place.
Chapter end notes: 0) Note that there exists variations in some names (Earendil/Earendel for example) depending on the age of the sources used.

1) Gondolin was the last of the great Elvish enclaves of the First Age to fall to the forces of evil, pride, and betrayal. "The Silmarillion" (151) describes that "Gondolin upon Amon Gwareth became fair indeed and fit to compare even with Elven Tirion beyond the sea. High and white were its walls and smooth its stairs, and tall and strong was the Tower of the King. There shining fountains played, and in the courts of Turgon stood images of the Trees of old, which Turgon himself wrought with elven-craft.... But fairer than all the wonders of Gondolin was Idril, Turgon's daughter, she that was called Celebrindal, the Silver-foot, whose hair was as the gold of Laurelin before the coming of Melkor." Upon the death of Turgon at the fall of his city, the High Kingship of the Noldor in Middle-earth passed to Gil-galad.

2) Several famous elf lords from Gondolin appear in this story and should be briefly introduced. Ecthelion was "that lord of the house of the Fountain, who had the fairest voice and was most skilled in musics of all the Gondothlim. He won renown for ever by his slaying of Gothmog son of Melko, whereby Tuor was saved from death but Ecthelion was drowned with his foe in the king's fountain." ("The Fall of Gondolin," Book of Lost Tales 2: 217)

One interesting case of a recycled elf name which clearly refers to two distinct individuals is that of Legolas. The original appears in the story of the Fall of Gondolin where it is said he was "a man of the Tree, who led the exiles over Tumladin in the dark, being night-sighted, and he liveth still in Tol Eressea named by the Eldar there Laiqalasse." (Book of Lost Tales 2: 218) Laiqalasse is merely the Quenyan form of "Green leaf," while Legolas is the Sindarin form. Note that Legolas the first was of the same house as Galdor. Also note that there is no evidence that the first Legolas was blond.

By contrast, Glorfindel was clearly described in FOTR (299) as "tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his high brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was strength." If we assume (as seems to be the case borne out by canon) that this Glorfindel is the same as the lord of Gondolin, then we know that he was one of the captains of Turgon and "commanded the left flank of the retreat of the Gondolindrim during the Nirnaeth Arnoediad." (Foster: 210) According to "The Fall of Gondolin" (Book of Lost Tales 2: 218), he "led the Golden Flower [House] and was the best beloved of the Gondothlim, save it be Ecthelion, but who shall choose. Yet he was hapless and fell slaying a Balrog on the great fight in Cristhorn."

Glorfindel's ancestry is a bit of a mystery. Martinez (War of the Glorfindels) argues that few "if any of the 'elder' Noldor seem to have gone into exile.... So Glorfindel probably could not have been an 'elder' among the Noldor at the time of the rebellion. He may have been the son of a Noldorin lord and Vanyarin lady who had befriended Turgon, and as one of Turgon's friends may have followed him out of loyalty and sense of youthful adventure." His blond hair suggests the existence of some Vanyarin blood.

What fate would have befallen Glorfindel after falling to his death and the remandation of his fea (soul) to the Halls of Mandos? According to the essay labeled "Glorfindel II" (The Peoples of Middle-earth: 381), after the "purging of any guilt that he had incurred in the rebellion [of the Noldor], he was released from Mandos and Manwe restored him. He then became again a living incarnate person, but was permitted to dwell in the Blessed Realm; for he had regained the primitive innocence and grace of the Eldar. For long years he remained in Valinor, in reunion with the Eldar who had not rebelled, and in the companionship of the Maiar. To these he had now almost become an equal, for... his spiritual power had been greatly enhanced by his self-sacrifice." This enhanced state of being agrees with the description of Glorfindel in FOTR (294) when Gandalf explains to Frodo that the Hobbit had seen the Glorfindel "as he is upon the other side: one of the mighty of the First-born. He is an Elf lord of a house of princes."

What choices might have been given to Glorfindel as a "reconstituted" elf lord? The essay labeled "Glorfindel I" (The Peoples of Middle-earth: 378) states that when such an elf returned from Mandos' care "they could remain in Valinor, or return to Middle-earth if their home had been there. We can therefore reasonably suppose that Glorfindel, after the purging or forgiveness of his part in the rebellion of the Noldor, was released from Mandos and became himself again, but remained in the Blessed Realm -- for Gondolin was destroyed and all or most of his kin had perished.... It is indeed probable that he had in Valinor already become a friend and follower of Olorin." However, Essay I makes a veiled reference to the possibility that he was not given complete freedom to choose his renewed fate: "Glorfindel remained in the Blessed Realm, no doubt at first by his own choice: Gondolin was destroyed, and all his kin [of the Golden Flower] had perished, and were still in the Halls of Waiting unapproachable by the living. But his long sojourn during the last years of the First Age, and at least far into the Second Age, no doubt was also in accordance with the wishes and designs of Manwe." (The Peoples of Middle-earth: 381)

This now brings up the issue of Glorfindel's eventual return to Middle-earth, and what connection he had to Gandalf (Olorin) upon that return. Chris Tolkien reveals in his introduction to "The Five Wizards" that his father had toyed with the idea of Glorfindel being one of the Istari, but had not had that idea in mind when LOTR was written. (The Peoples of Middle Earth: 384). Essay I (The Peoples of Middle-earth: 377-8) notes that an elf "who had once known Middle-earth and fought in the long wars against Melkor would be an eminently suitable companion for Gandalf. We could reasonably suppose that Glorfindel (possibly as one of a small party, more probably as a sole companion) landed with Gandalf-Olorin about Third Age 1000. This supposition would indeed explain the air of special power and sanctity that surrounds Glorfindel - note how the Witch-king flies from him, although all others (such as King Earnur), however brave could not induce their horses to face him." Essay II (op. cit.: 381-2) argues that Glorfindel's return was probably before the end of the Second Age and the 'change of the world' resulting from the destruction of Numenor, after which "no living embodied creation, 'humane' or lesser kinds, could return from the Blessed Realm which had been 'removed from the Circles of the World'." As for when in the Second Age Glorfindel most probably returned to Middle-earth, Essay II suggests it might be as early as circa 1200 SA or as late as 1600 SA, at the beginning of Sauron's forays into Eriador, or his attack upon it.

A note on wizards (The Peoples of Middle-earth: 384-5) speaks of the five Istari (wizards) as arriving in Middle-earth in several waves, with the first two "unnamed" wizards arriving first "at the same time probably as Glorfindel, when matters became very dangerous in the Second Age. Glorfindel was sent to aid Elrond and was (though not yet said) pre-eminent in the war in Eriador." The "unnamed" Istari are here called Morinehtar and Romestamo, "Darkness-slayer and East-helper. Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship...." (Ibid.) Another rough note on wizards (Ibid) suggests that Saruman might have arrived first among the Istari, with Gandalf and Radagast following together and "(what is most probable)... Glorfindel also met Gandalf at the Havens." I have taken Glorfindel's return to Middle-earth as circa 1600 SA, at the time of the forging of the One Ring.

Why is Glorfindel linked to the Istari in this way? Perhaps a reason can be found from looking at a note by Christopher Tolkien in "The Istari" (Unfinished Tales: 410-1). Here the two "Blue Wizards" are named Alatar and Pallando (whom I have assumed were brothers). There is a list which correlates the Istari with the Valar who sent them to Middle-earth. Christopher Tolkien notes that "each Istar was chosen by each Valar for his innate characteristics." (Ibid.) JRRT himself wrote that "they were free each to do what they could in this mission; that they were not commanded or supposed to act together... and that each had different powers and inclinations, and were chosen by the Valar with this in mind. (Unfinished Tales: 412) The same essay (406) describes the Istari as coming to Middle-earth "in shapes weak and humble [and] were bidden to advise and persuade Men and Elves to good, and to seek to unite in love and understanding all those whom Sauron, should he come again, would endeavor to dominate and corrupt."

Conspicuous by his absence from the correlation list of Valar and Istari is Ulmo. If he did not send one of the Istari to represent his interests in Middle-earth, could he have, perhaps, instead chosen Glorfindel, who had already demonstrated his loyalty to Tuor and his line, the chosen champion of Ulmo? That is the working hypothesis I have developed for this story. In the introduction to the story I followed carefully "The Istari," and have taken a few lines of dialogue from it. See "Misunderstood" for my previous writings on the Valar.

3) The Doom of Finwe and Miriel has been discussed at length in the notes of previous stories (such as "Misunderstood"), as has the general concept of the return of dead elves after some period of "purgatory."

"Of the Laws and Customs of the Eldar" in Morgoth's Ring (235) succinctly states "All those who come to Mandos are judged with regard to innocence or guilt, in the matter of their death and in all other deeds and purposes of their lives in the body; and Mandos appoints to each the manner and the length of their time of Waiting according to this judgement. But his dooms in such matters are not uttered in haste; and even the most guilty are long tested, whether they may be healed or corrected, before any final doom is given (such as never to return again among the Living). Therefore it was said: 'Who among the Living can presume the dooms of Mandos?'"

4) Glorfindel first appears in the chronology of Middle-earth in accounts of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad (Battle of Unnumbered Tears), the fifth and most disastrous of the battles of the Wars of Beleriand. Foster (367-8) accounts that it was "fought on Anfauglith in the summer of First Age 473 between the forces of Morgoth, led by Gothmog and Glaurung, and the Union of Maedhros," which included both men and elves. Although Morgoth was initially driven back to Angband, in the end his forces prevailed and Fingon lay dead at the hand of Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs.

In the midst of the defeat, Hurin and Huor of the House of Hador "stood firm with Turgon of Gondolin, and the hosts of Mordor could not yet win the Pass of Sirion. Then Hurin spoke to Turgon, saying: 'Go now, lord, while time is! For in you lives the last hope of the Eldar, and while Gondolin stands, Morgoth shall still know fear in his heart...." Huor further argued, "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and from me a new star shall rise. Farewell." (Silmarillion: 236-7) Reluctantly, Turgon accepted the sacrifice of the House of Hador and retreated with as many of his and Fingon's forces as still stood, and his captains Ecthelion and Glorfindel guarded the flanks.

Huor's prophetic words came to pass through his son, Tuor, who was one of Ulmo's chosen. After gently guiding Tuor's education and experience for many years (through the guidance of his faithful Noldor servants), Ulmo appeared directly to Tuor and directed him to "seek through the lands for the city of the folk called Gondothlim or the dwellers in stone.... And of a surety a child shall come of thee then whom no man shall know more of the uttermost deeps, be it of the sea or of the firmament of heaven." ("Fall of Gondolin", Book of Lost Tales 2: 157) Although Tuor did not understand Ulmo's words, he obeyed, finally arriving in Gondolin with the aid of Voronwe, an elf of Gondolin who had been saved from a shipwreck by Ulmo for just such a purpose.

Turgon, now High King of the Noldor in Middle-earth, recognized that Tuor had the favor of the Valar (thanks to Tuor's wearing of a special set of armor and a sword which Turgon had secreted at Vinyamar many years before at Ulmo's suggestion) and encouraged him to remain in Gondolin. Tuor agreed, but it is said "that many a time would he have stolen hence, growing weary of the concourses of folk, and thinking of empty forest and fell or hearing afar the sea-music of Ulmo, had not his heart been filled with love for a woman of the Gondothlim, and she was a daughter of the king." (op. cit.: 164) It is said that Idril returned his affection, "and the strands of her fate were woven with his ever from that day when first she gazed upon him from a high window as he stood a way-worn supplicant before the palace of the king. (op. cit.: 166) The child of Tuor and Idril was, of course, Earendil, father of Elrond, a child of "greatest beauty; his skin was of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphire of the raiment of Manwe...." (op. cit.: 167) For a detailed account of Tuor's arrival in Gondolin (which I closely follow in this story), see "Unfinished Tales."

5) The story of the fall of Gondolin is one of the most sorrowed tales of Elvish history. The most complete account is given in "The Fall of Gondolin" (Book of Lost Tales 2), and only bits and pieces will be recounted here. The beginning of the end, as it were, came with the return of Aredhel, sister of Turgon, and her son Maeglin to the hidden kingdom. Maeglin greatly desired power and the kingship of the Noldor, and plotted to marry his first cousin, Idril, and capture the throne in that manner. She, of course, did not return his nefarious affections, and instead fell in love with a Man, Tuor son of Huor, who had been directed by Ulmo to seek out the secret enclave of the Noldor. Maeglin betrayed Gondolin to Morgoth, and when Tuor and Idril's son, Earendil, was seven years old, the forces of the Dark Lord attacked the final stronghold of the Noldor in Middle-earth.

The attack came at night, during a great festival called Tarnin Austa, or the Gates of Summer. According to "The Fall of Gondolin" (op. cit. 173) it was the custom on that night to "begin a solemn ceremony at midnight, continuing even till the dawn... broke, and no voice was uttered in the city from midnight till the break of day, but the dawn they hailed with ancient songs. For years uncounted had the coming of summer thus been greeted with music of choirs, standing upon the gleaming eastern wall; and now comes even the night of vigil and the city is filled with silver lamps, while the groves upon the new-leaved trees lights of jeweled colours swing, and low musics go along the ways, but no voice sings until the dawn."

The same text continues to say that at that time the "sun had sunk beyond the hills and folk array them for the festival very gladly and eagerly -- glancing in expectation to the East. Lo! Even when she had gone and all was dark, a new light suddenly began, and a glow there was, but it was beyond the northward heights...." This was the invasion of Morgoth's forces, choosing the higher (and thus less well guarded) walls of the north as their point of attack.

The approach of the invasion force was announced by sentinels patrolling the plains between the inner and outer ring of mountains, and panic ensued in the streets of Gondolin. The eleven Elvish Houses of the city amassed their armies, as did Tuor's personal guards, the "House of the [Swan] Wing." The text describes the apparel and armament of the twelve houses in detail, from the golden arms of Glorfindel to the green of Galdor and the silver and diamond of Ecthelion. Tuor bore the swan's wing of his house, and mail of gleaming silver. Consult the text for complete descriptions.

The city itself was assaulted by orcs, dragons, and balrogs, and many deeds of bravery were done by the lords of all of the houses. Early in the battle, Maeglin attempted to kidnap Idril and Earendil, but the child bit him in the hand and Tuor was able to rescue his family. Maeglin was tossed over the walls of the city to his death. Ecthelion and Tuor each slew several of the greatest orc chiefs, and several balrogs as well (Ecthelion three with his sword, and Tuor five with his ax). Ecthelion suffered a whiplash injury from a balrog and his shield arm went lame. Barely conscious, he was literally dragged from the scene supported by Tuor. Galdor rescued them at the Square of the Folkwell and a last stand was made in the Square of the Palace of the King. All seemed lost, as Ecthelion was now unconscious and borne fully by Tuor, until the arrival of Glorfindel and his troops.

Tuor managed to refresh both himself and Ecthelion with water from the great fountain, but a fresh onslaught by a dragon, orcs, and finally Gothmog, the son of Morgoth, the greatest of the Balrogs, threatened to defeat not only the rag tag band, but specifically kill Tuor. But at the last minute, Echthelion, still partially paralyzed, stepped between Gothmog and Tuor and gave the Balrog several wounds. Finally, he flung himself at the demon, impaling the beast with his spiked helm, and they fell into the fountain together and drowned. Tolkien ends this scene with an intriguing note - that Tuor, upon realizing the great sacrifice Ecthelion had made on his behalf, "wept for his love of that fair Gnome of the Fountain...." (op. cit.: 184)

After the death of Ecthelion, Tuor and his forces attempted to convince Turgon to leave the city along with the survivors of the Houses, but the king refused, deciding to fall with his city. He appointed Tuor the chieftain of the survivors and bade him to bring as many as he could to safety, which Tuor did with the help of Idril, who had prepared a hidden escape route for just such an occasion (eventuality, knowing the batting average of the Noldor in the First Age). During the retreat of the survivors, dragons attacked, but "Glorfindel held the rear manfully and many more of the Golden Flower fell there."

There was apparently a debate amongst the wave of fleeing Gondolithrim as to the best route of escape, and many fell directly into the traps Morgoth's forces had laid for them. But others, "led by one Legolas Greenleaf of the house of the Tree, who knew all that plain by day or by dark and was night-sighted, made much speed over the vale for all their weariness, and halted only after a great march." Thus is was that the survivors of the great fortress of the Noldor, including many women, children, and wounded, crept away under the cover of the smoke and low hanging mist of the destruction of their long-time home, finding themselves at the next nightfall at the treacherous outer ring of mountains. They found themselves in Cristhorn, or Kirith-thoronath (The Eagles' Cleft) "where beneath the shadow of the highest peaks a narrow path winds its way, walled by a precipice to the right and on the left a dreadful fall leaps into emptiness." ("The Quenta," The Shaping of Middle-earth: 174)

The survivors had to pass single-file, led by Galdor and Legolas, "whose eyes were like cats' for the dark, yet could they see further," (Book of Lost Tales: 192) while Glorfindel and his band guarded the rear. When Galdor had just reached the far end of the pass and Glorfindel the beginning, the forces of Morgoth surprised them in ambush, cascading rocks down upon them from above. Many orcs were killed, tossed into the abyss, and in the light of the rising moon there arose the eagles, led by Thorondor, who had no love for the forces of Morgoth. A balrog attacked from the rear and Glorfindel "leapt forward upon him and his golden armour gleamed strangely in the moon, and he hewed at that demon.... Now there was a deadly combat upon that high rock above the folk (and the people could see it)." (Ibid.) Glorfindel inflicted many wounds upon the creature and finally the demon fell backward into the abyss, but grabbed a handful of Glorfindel's long, blond hair and dragged the elf down with him.

In a bittersweet turn of events, the death of the balrog allowed the survivors of Gondolin to escape to safety. "Now was this a very grievous thing, for Glorfindel was most dearly beloved - and lo! The dint of their fall echoed about the hills, and the abyss of Thornsir rang. Then at the death-cry of the Balrog the Orcs before and behind wavered and were slain or fled far away, and Thorndor (Thorondor) himself, a mighty bird, descended into the abyss and brought up the body of Glorfindel." ("The Quenta," The Shaping of Middle-earth: 194-5) Despite the fear of further attacks, Tuor allowed time for the proper burial of Glorfindel, beneath a stone-cairn, which it is said is still guarded today by the great eagles of the pass, "but the folk of the Golden Flowers wept at its building and might not dry their tears." (Ibid.) Tuor eventually led the refugees over the mountains and down into the Vale of Sirion, where Ulmo's power could be plainly felt, and to Nan-tathren, the Land of Willows.

6) Glorfindel's second best known deed of valor was the routing of the Witch King of Angmar (the Lord of the Nazgul) at the Battle of Fornost. In Third Age 1974, the Witch King destroyed Fornost and scattered the remnants of the Dunedain. Their king, Arvedui, fled north with the two palantiri but was lost at sea, along with the seeing stones. Cirdan accepted his sons as refugees, and the next year the Grey Havens and Rivendell, along with the forces led by Captain Earnil of Gondor, attacked Angmar. At the final battle, the Witch King himself appeared before the host and all were paralyzed with fear. Then Glorfindel "rode up on his white horse, and in the midst of his laughter the Witch-king turned to flight and passed into the shadows. For night came down on the battlefield, and he was lost, and none saw whither he went." (Appendix A, ROTK: 1026) Earnur wished to pursue the Witch-king but was held back by Glorfindel, who said "Do not pursue him! He will not return to this land. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of Man will he fall." (Ibid.) This of course is a premonition of the Witch King's fall at the hands of a woman and a hobbit .

7) Some miscellaneous Elvish (both Quenya and Sindarin) :
Ulairi = Nazgul
Onodrim = Ents
Endore = Middle-earth
A reminder that a "Valarian year" or Great Year is 144 solar years.

8) The ultimate fate of Tuor is shrouded in mystery and hearsay. According to The Silmarillion (303), at the age of about seventy Tuor "felt old age creep upon him, and ever a longing for the deeps of the Sea grew stronger in his heart. Therefore he built a great ship, and he named it Earrame, which is Sea-Wing; and with Idril Celebrindal he set sail into the sunset and the West, and came no more into any tale or song. But in after days it was sung that Tuor alone of mortal Men was numbered among the elder race, and was joined with the Noldor whom he loved; and his fate is sundered from the fate of Men." This means that he did not partake of the Gift of Men -- death.

Tolkien discusses this unique event further in a 1954 letter to Peter Hastings (The Letters of JRRT: 193-4): "Tuor weds Idril the daughter of Turgon King of Gondolin; and 'it is supposed' (not stated) that he as an unique exception receives the Elvish limited 'immortality': an exception either way.... Immortality and Mortality being the special gifts of God to the Eruhini (in whose conception and creation the Valar had no part at all) it must be assumed that no alteration of their fundamental kind could be effected by the Valar even in one case: the cases of Luthien (and Tuor) and the position of their descendents was a direct act of God."

J.R.R. Tolkien (1977) The Silmarillion (NY: Ballantine Books)
J.R.R. Tolkien (1996) The Peoples of Middle-earth (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company)
Tolkien, J.R.R. (1965) The Fellowship of the Ring (NY: Ballantine Books)
J.R.R. Tolkien (1985) The Lays of Beleriand (NY: Ballantine Books)
J.R.R. Tolkien (1984) The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two (NY: Ballantine Books)
J.R.R. Tolkien (1986) The Shaping of Middle-earth (NY: Ballantine Books)
J.R.R. Tolkien (1993) Morgoth's Ring (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co)
J.R.R. Tolkien (1994) The Lord of the Rings, One Vol. Ed. (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co)
J.R.R. Tolkien (1988) Unfinished Tales (NY: Ballantine Books)
Robert Foster (1978) The Complete Guide to Middle Earth (NY: Ballantine Books