Greenleaf and Imladris 5. Gwador: Sorrow's First Dawning by Eresse

Story notes: The events of this story take place around the time the shadow first fell upon Eryn Galen or Greenwood the Great. The name, Mirkwood, would presumably only have come into usage quite recently, and so I still frequently refer to the forest by its original name.

The Greenleaf and Imladris series:
1. Meldir: At First Sight
2. With Friends Like These
3. Interlude: Tender Musings
4. By Hook Or By Crook
5. Gwador: Sorrow's First Dawning
6. Postscript: Heart's Brother
7. Forbidden Fruit
8. Prelude: Into Temptation
9. Melethron: The Ancient Path
10. Aftermath
11. In the Silence of Our Hearts
12. Prelude to Grief
13. The Choices We Must Make
14. Crucible of Love
15. Interlude: Diversionary Tactics
16. Strange Fates
17. In the Shadows
18. On the Edge of Forever
19. Consequences
20. What the Morrow Will Bring
21. Calenlass: Heart of a Prince
22. Interlude: Storm Kissed
23. Bereth: To Have and To Hold
24. Golden Obsession
25. Degrees of Comfort
26. Table Manners
27. Double Trouble
28. Interlude: At the End of the Day
29. In His Father's Image
30. Aduial: Soul Of A Knight
Redux: Finale: Just Reward
Imladris, Lotessë TA 1052

Elrond and his family were just settling down in the Hall of Fire after the evening meal when the messengers from Greenwood arrived. Informed that the Wood-elves had begged for an immediate audience with the Imladrin lord, Elrond had excused himself and left to meet with Thranduil's emissaries. Nearly three-quarters of an hour passed before he returned to the hall and his expression was such that his wife and children stared at him in alarm.

"Dearest, what is wrong?" Celebrian exclaimed as her husband sagged into the nearest chair and wearily covered his face with one hand.

"Meleth nîn," he murmured and beckoned to her to come to him. To the others' worsening apprehension, he pulled her onto his lap when she complied and held her as if to shield her from some great calamity.

"Elrond?" she queried, stroking his dark hair. "Please, husband, you are frightening all of us. What was Thranduil's message?"

Elrond heaved a shuddering sigh then glanced around at the others. The twins and Arwen were watching him with obvious agitation while Glorfindel, Erestor and Almariel tried to remain calm but with little success.

"A band of brigands entered Eryn Galen some two months ago," he began. "Ithilwen and Nimeithel were out riding with a few warriors in attendance. They encountered the scoundrels and there was a skirmish when the men saw the women's jewelry." He stopped and hugged his wife even more tightly. "There were too many of these bandits and Ithilwen and Nimeithel were taken captive."

There was a concerted gasp of horror.

"They weren't--" Elladan began, his face draining of color at the very thought of the Elven queen and and her daughter in the rapacious hands of thieving men.

Elrond shook his head. "Nay, thank the Powers, they were spared that horror. Legolas gave chase at once and caught up with the band. But..." He looked at his wife, his eyes haunted. "...he was too late to keep them from slaying Ithilwen."

Appalled silence greeted his announcement. Celebrian stared in shocked disbelief at her husband. She had been close to the woodland queen and corresponded regularly with Ithilwen in between each other's visits to their respective realms. She tried to speak, to deny what had been said but no words would come out. And then she suddenly buried her face in Elrond's neck and began to weep silently, her slender shoulders shaking in her grief. Elrond could only hold her consolingly.

"Thranduil is devastated," he continued dully. "'Tis a wonder he even managed to give thought to informing us of this tragedy."

"And Nimeithel?" Elladan inquired. "Are they certain she was not...touched?"

Elrond nodded. "Legolas came upon them before they had done more than divest the women of their valuables." He hesitated. "Ithilwen was slain when she fought their attempts to despoil her and Nimeithel."

"Elbereth," Elladan whispered. Beside him, Arwen trembled violently and was promptly enfolded in a motherly hug by Almariel.

"Thranduil requests a...meeting with me regarding...the aftermath of the incident," Elrond added slowly.

"What of Legolas?" Elrohir frowningly queried. "How did he take his mother's death?"

Elrond glanced up at his younger son, surprised by his intuitiveness. "Strange that you should ask," he remarked. "'Twas the main reason for Thranduil's request that I go to Greenwood."

"What do you mean?"

"The messengers were not clear on this but I received the distinct impression that Legolas was greatly affected by the incident." He looked from one twin to the other. "'Twas he who was on patrol that week and he who had assured the queen that 'twould be safe to leave the boundaries of their kingdom. And despite his best efforts the leaders of the band managed to escape."

Elrohir hissed in instant comprehension. "He blames himself, doesn't he," he said with a certainty born of his knowledge of the prince's character.

"It would seem so," Elrond admitted. "I cannot be certain. The messengers were reticent on that matter."

"We must go at once, Ada," Elrohir declared.

"Nay, that I cannot allow," Glorfindel abruptly said. "The mountains are too perilous to cross at present; 'tis a miracle that Thranduil's messengers made it here without incident. Furthermore, orcs have been running wild, ravaging settlements and villages as they go." At the mutinous expression on Elrohir's face, he pointed out firmly: "We are under siege ourselves in a manner of speaking. Thranduil will understand that we must protect Imladris first. We will be of no use to Legolas or anyone else if we are overrun from lack of caution or foresight."

"Glorfindel is right," Elrond softly agreed. "Much as I long to leave this very night for Eryn Galen, I must admit it would be foolhardy to do so. And there have been reports of banditry by men and orcs amongst the villages just beyond the Bruinen. 'Tis our duty to assist those who cannot defend themselves."

Elrohir sighed vexedly and sat back with a dark scowl. Erestor placed a pacifying hand on his shoulder. "If we turn all our efforts to dealing with our foes, we will vanquish them all the sooner and be free to go to Eryn Galen," he reminded the recalcitrant twin.

The Elf-knight looked at him then nodded and persisted no more. Elrond cast a grateful glance at his chief steward before turning his attention to his grieving wife.
Chapter end notes: Lotessë - Quenya for May
Meleth nîn - my love
hervenn - husband
Ada - Papa