Bright Star by Aithilin
Summary: Thranduil muses on his sons.
Categories: FPS, FPS > ?/? Characters: Legolas, Thranduil
Type: None
Warning: Sap/Fluff
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 7218 Read: 1513 Published: January 24, 2009 Updated: January 24, 2009
Story Notes:
Written while musing on Thranduil.

1. Chapter 1 by Aithilin

Chapter 1 by Aithilin
Brightest of souls shining through
Dearest of boys, I love you
Wrapped in my arms I would stay here with you
You are my lifeline
You make the stars shine
All of my life I have waited for you
You are the brightest star
I love all that you are
You are the brightest star
My beautiful child
Beautiful boy, I can see
How you have brought joy to me
The smallest thing you do captures my heart
How I could watch all the day
Watch how you think as you play
You have a mind that has opened my own
You are my bloodline
You make the stars in heaven shine
All of my life I have waited for you

-Inkubus Sukkubus



The forest was glowing with the morning sunrise. The fragrance of the small flowers reached even to the bowels of Thranduil's underground palace; as did the songs of the small forest-dwelling birds. The pleasant sounds and smells mingled with the fresh scents of breakfast: this created a welcoming environment for the Elves still waking.

Thranduil went to the corridor that housed the rooms of his two sons: one adopted and one biological. The light wooden door was slightly ajar, letting a soft breeze make its way to the hall. A quick look through the opening showed the king a sweet sight of two long-limbed blonde figures tangled in the soft sheets of their beds.

Legolas' smaller form was curled up in the centre of the bed closest the door. His golden hair fanned out over the fluffy pillow and sapphire eyes were closed in his sense of complete safety. The other was better built, not as slender nor as seemingly delicate. Nilad's dull blonde hair was tied back in a neater fashion and he was spread out over the length and width of the bed: hands dangling over the edges. Nilad's eyes were open in a light Elven sleep.

Thranduil stepped in, treading lightly around the books and random items he'll need to remind Legolas and Nilad to pick up soon. He smiled as he saw Nilad's eyes clear and the youth sit up with a yawn. Nilad returned the smile and watched as his king made his way to Legolas' side. Thranduil sat on the edge of the bed and touched Legolas' shoulder lightly, smiling gently as his son started.

"...Ada..." Legolas' soft, tired voice complained as he turned to face his father; "I was comfy."

Nilad chuckled and Legolas yawned as he sat up. Thranduil enjoyed his role as father immensely. It gave him a way to escape his duties as king, if only for a few minutes a day. It had taken a long while to learn how to return the bond Legolas had showed to him. His wife had disappeared shortly after the birth of the young prince, leaving Thranduil alone to learn how to raise a child. Nilad had been the son of his closest friend, killed in a battle when Nilad was only an infant. The child's mother had died of grief and Thranduil took him into his family, fearing that his wife would not carry their own child at the time. A century later, Legolas was born to the Elven-king and Maiar queen of Mirkwood.

Lady Alothrhis had been a Maiar spirit, taken the form of an Elven woman after falling in love with the warrior son of Oropher. It is the best kept secret of the Mirkwood royal family, only one person outside of the forest knows of it. Legolas himself doesn't know the entire truth and Thranduil had no intention of telling him yet, he was too young.

"Come on little greenleaf, you were about to sleep the day away," Thranduil said, shaking himself from his thoughts. Nilad was pulling on his tunic while Legolas stubbornly tried to pull his blanket back over his head. Sighing, Thranduil pulled the blanket off of his son and dropped the clothing in the colours of the royal family on top of the slender form. "Get dressed before you miss breakfast."

After a few more minutes of complaining, Legolas dressed and followed his father and Nilad out of the room. The few Elves wandering the halls as they went about the early morning duties smiled to their king and received simliar greetings. Thranduil knew all who worked within his realm on a firstname basis, enjoying the familiarity and comfort brought by such knowledge. Nilad and Legolas started teasing each other as they made the short journey to the Dining Hall. Thranduil took his seat at the head of the table, Legolas to his immediate right and Nilad just beyond the young prince. Celebdae sat on his left, already starting conversation on what was needed for the day as the meal was placed in front of them.

Within minutes, the two princes were finished and ran off as soon as Thranduil gave his permission. The two smiled to who they met as they wandered the halls until they reached the archery fields. Nilad smiled and handed Legolas one of the bows.

"I don't know why you bother, you'll never be as good as I am," the older Elf teased.

Legolas grinned, "I'm already better than you."

"If you keep telling yourself that you might start to believe it."

Legolas stuck out his tongue and pushed Nilad to the shooting point.

Thranduil smiled as he watched the exchange from one of the balconies overlooking the field. He laughed as Legolas shot a perfect score, causing Nilad to pout and challenge him again. Legolas' eye was caught by a slight movement by a small bird. The young Elf wandered over to where he had seen the movement, ignoring Nilad's confusion as he was caught up in his own curiosity. Thranduil continued to watch, Legolas had found wonder in everything. His curiosity not sated until everything was made clear, even if his questions lasted long into the night.

"I see he still has that healthy sense of wonder."

Thranduil looked over to see a familiar wizened form coming up to him.

"Mithrandir, when did you come? I wasn't alerted to you even being in the area."

Gandalf smiled, "You weren't supposed to be alerted. How has Legolas been?"

"Well, he is no longer curious about the palace grounds. Anything that moves is interesting to him. Nilad has been watching him like a hawk these last few weeks though."

"That may be for the best," Gandalf said as he looked over the field where Nilad was trying to get Legolas' attention back to their practice. "I have done some research as of late Thranduil. I wish to keep a close eye on your son myself."

Thranduil furrowed his brow in concern, "Why? What have you found?"

The grey-clad Istari sighed, "I have been sensing an air of power from his spirit for the last few months. The winds tell of his potential if he was trained."

"Wait, trained for what? What do you mean 'his potential?'"

"I believe that the child born to you by the Lady Alothrhis may have gained some of her abilities," Gandalf replied. "Your little Greenleaf will need to be trained if that is so. Without any harness on the power that I have sensed, it may become uncontrollable by the time he has reached his majority."

Thranduil leaned on the railing and looked over Nilad physically dragging the now complaining Legolas back to the archery range; both boys were smiling as they play-fought. He too had caught the new aura around his son, though he had dismissed it as unimportant. Legolas' natural Elven glow was brighter than normal, as if the light of Elbereth's stars were infused into his spirit directly.

"How would he be trained?" Thranduil finally asked. "And when?"

Gandalf mused, "With your leave, I could take him with me on a few of my travels. If I have sensed him by accident, there is the possibility of others intentionally searching for such power. Thranduil- I believe your son may play a great part in the history of Middle-earth, he must remain safe and unjaded by the darkness in this world."

Thranduil smiled wryly, "How do you propose he remains unjaded? If he remains here, he would be subjected to the shadows of this forest; yet if he travels with you, he will witness the darkness else where."

"I plan on visiting Elrond and then the Shire, Legolas would be exposed to the innocence of the Hobbits. There is less of the Shadow's power further north, he may remain among the Dunedain when my presence is required elsewhere."

Thranduil sighed, "I understand Gandalf, yet I would be loathed to release my son into the world. Especially since he's so young."

The old wizard nodded, "No father wishes to admit that their son just may be all grown up, Thranduil. I agree that Legolas is still very young, but he must be trained. At least to control his essence so he is not sensed. The young son of a Maiar and an Elf from the First Age would draw much unwanted attention from those wishing malice.

"Gilrean of the Dunedain has a son near Legolas' age now. Eleven, I believe. Already, he has been proclaimed an Elf-Friend. Elrond would guard Legolas as if he were another of his own sons; as he has done with Gilrean's boy."

The King of Mirkwood hesitated, looking over his son and foster son still playing in the field below. Finally he nodded, "Alright. But I wish him to return once he has reached the age of 60."

"Of course Thranduil. I wish to take him within the week, I fear there is Shadow already feeling for him."

"Why him Gandalf? Why my young Greenleaf? What does the Shadow want with him?"

"He holds a gift Thranduil. Alothrhis was the only one of my order that chose the female form, choosing an Elven woman. The flesh may be destroyed for us, my friend, but our spirit remains. She is still out there, waiting, but afraid to take form in case her enemies are alerted to her and her child. You know what she gave him, you know how her love has protected the both of you for so long. Legolas holds a power within him that may one day prove to aid in the salvation of this world. Or his blood may hasten the destruction."

Thranduil closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Take care of him Gandalf."

With that, the King of Mirkwood left the walkway.




5 Years After Last Chapter

Imladris, Winter

Legolas laughed as he ducked a snowball that was thrown at him by Elrohir. The last snow had fallen the night before and four boys were already playing in it by the time the lord of the house awoke. Elladan and Elrohir were the first to start the snowball fight, Estel quickly joining in, and finally Legolas. The Man and the Prince of Mirkwood had a year difference between them, in Estel's favour, though it was the Elf that acted mature beyond his years.

Elrond shook his head as the visiting prince stuck his tongue out at his friend before ducking another snowball. This was not one of his mature moments. A small smile crossed Elrond's face as he saw his adopted son and Legolas team up to tackle Elrohir.

Today was the day that Estel would go north with the Dunedain and finish his training. Legolas would be going with him, to begin his own warrior training. Thranduil had granted his permission for the two year long excursion, though Elrond still had a few reservations. Fifteen was not a very old age for an Elf to be running off with a group of Men, not to mention how beautiful Legolas already was. The whole unjaded concept might not even come to mind for a while. The lore-master called the children inside to talk before he sent them off to get ready.




"I want you to look after Legolas," Elrond told Estel as the young Man finished packing.

"Of course, Father. I'll keep him out of trouble."

"Make sure you keep yourself out of trouble as well this time," Elrond said with a small smile. Estel grinned and nodded.

"It will only be two years. How much trouble is there to be found in the Wilderlands?"

"Estel..."

"I know. We'll behave."




Two Years Later...

Wilderlands/EM>

"Are you certain that you will be alright?" Estel asked his friend. Legolas smiled and nodded.

"What could happen to me Estel? Besides, you shall return soon, and Mithrandir will be with you. Now go, Bree is not far away."

Estel smiled and mounted his horse, shaking away the bad feeling he had been having for nearly a week now. Halbarad would keep an eye on the young Elf. Legolas was right, he would return soon with Gandalf; then Legolas would return to Rivendell. With one last look to make sure his friend would be okay, Estel left to meet the Istari.




Legolas sighed as Estel left. The twins had gone to Imladris nearly three months ago, bored with the lack of 'excitement' in the North. Most of the Dunedain were off hunting for dinner or had left with Estel. The small camp was nearly deserted save for the one Elf and a few of the Rangers.

The Elf moved to take up his bow, wanting some practice. It would be a long wait until his friend returned.




The young Elf sat in his tent, trying to relax as Gandalf had told him three years ago. His arms ached from the hours of practice. Halbarad had been watching him like a hawk for nearly the entire time. Finally the hunters returned and Halbarad was called away to aid in the preparations for dinner. Legolas was tired and hungry, dinner was not for another half hour; Estel would be back by then.

A noise outside the shelter broke the Elf's concentration. The flap opened and Legolas saw Elstel's friend, Michel, standing there. Another figure was standing behind Michel. The Man had only been there for a month, watching Legolas at times.

Before Legolas could react, the Man had grabbed his arm and covered his mouth with one large hand. They both fell, Legolas crashing hard against the ground and the Man falling to cover him. The Elf started to struggle against the weight, fear widened his eyes.

"Such a pretty little creature has no use out here in the Wild," the Man sneered. "Well, perhaps I can think of a decent use for you."

Legolas could feel a pressure build in his chest. His struggles proved fruitful as he managed to shake the Man off for a second. He dashed for the door, but Michel grabbed his arm and threw him back, a sickening crack was heard as he struck the ground. Sharp Elven ears picked up the sounds of a struggle outside and Legolas tried to call out before Michel covered his mouth again.

The flap swung open and Halbarad stood in the opening, sword drawn and bloody. The pressure Legolas felt in his chest finally released. His eyes flashed with an unnatural light as Michel flew back, only to be impaled on Halbarad's blade. Shocked, Legolas started to shake as he knelt there. Halbarad was pushed out of the way as Estel rushed in, looking worn from the ride. Gandalf came a little slower, pulling Halbarad aside to ask what had happened.

"Legolas, shh...It's alright now," Estel tried to soothe his friend as he gathered the trembling Elf into his arms.

Legolas looked passed Estel, his sapphire eyes sought out Gandalf. The wizard looked at him with sad eyes.

"What's happening to me?"

"Estel, take Halbarad and wait outside."

Estel looked to Gandalf, not understanding.

"Go," Gandalf ordered. He gently pulled the Elf to his feet and moved to sit on the small cot as Estel obeyed. Knowing that the Men wouldn't go far, Gandalf cast a small spell to prevent them from overhearing.

"Legolas," Gandalf said softly, only for Legolas' ears. "It's a very long story, and involves your mother..."




"They've been in there a while."

Halbarad watched as his friend paced. Estel had given up trying to listen in on what was being said. Halbarad could easily tell that his friend was worried, concerned for the young Elf.

"What is between you and the Elf anyway, Estel? You seem far too protective of him under normal circumstances."

Estel looked at his friend, "He is like my brother. I have to protect him, who else would out here?"




Gandalf tried to judge Legolas' reaction. The Elf had stopped trembling, and was sitting on the edge of the little cot. Shoulder length blonde hair framed Legolas' face.

"I-I don't understand...I'm part Maiar?"

"It is a difficult explanation," Gandalf said softly. "Your mother was a Maiar spirit of my order. She took the flesh, the body of an Elven woman, and advised your grandsire, Oropher. She was enamoured of the Elves."

"As you are with the Hobbits?" Legolas asked. Gandalf smiled kindly.

"Yes. She met Thranduil as he was becoming the noble man you know as your father. Alothrhis was the first of my order to come to Middle-earth, arriving shortly before the Final Battle of the Last Alliance. It was quite a while, as you must have figured out, before she settled with your father; waiting until long after the peace had settled."

Gandalf saw the young Elf's brow furrow, "Then, what happened? I knew not my mother. I did not think one of the Istari could be killed."

"Our flesh, the bodies we chose to encase ourselves in, may be destroyed, Legolas. Though our true form, the immortal spirit, may continue. Perhaps even take the flesh once more. Alothrhis may still remain in these mortal lands, though I have not sensed her for a long time."

Legolas nodded slowly, absorbing the information. "What do I do? This...power, what if I hurt someone? I know nothing of it!"

Gandalf placed a comforting hand on the young Elf's shoulder. "I was just getting to that. I was waiting for a sign that your abilities have been tapped. If you so wish, I want you to travel with me, at least for a small time. I can teach you a little before you are needed back in Mirkwood."

"I will go," Legolas said firmly. "What of my training here though? And what of Estel? I cannot abandon my friendship with him."

"I do not expect you to. Estel sees you as his brother, and you two share a strong bond. He will seek you out should he feel the need to. I do not think it will be very long until you two will see each other again. But for now, it would be better if you said your goodbyes. I wish to leave in the morn."

Gandalf stood, picking up a small pack from near the opening and giving it to Legolas. "Pack a few things, nothing heavy, and nothing you may miss terribly. You cannot tell Estel of what we spoke of, only that you will leave with me and that you may not see him for some time."

Legolas nodded and took the pack, "What of my father? And Nilad? When will I return to Mirkwood?"

"Not for a long while yet, little Greenleaf. I will send them news, but they cannot know the extent of this either. Understand this need for secrecy Legolas. There are those that would do you harm if they knew. And many would harm those you cared for to gain you."

"I understand."

Gandalf smiled and patted Legolas' shoulder once. He picked up his hat from where it rested on a little stool next to his staff and left; dismantling the spell. He huffed when he saw Estel and Halbarad still standing outside.

"Halbarad, perhaps you should go make sure dinner is ready."

The Man sighed but left without a word, he could get the news from Estel later. The Istari then turned to Elrond's foster son.

"Legolas will leave with me come daybreak."

"What? Why? How?...Why?"

Gandalf smiled slightly, perceiving a chance for some 'wizardly charm.'

"We will leave on the morn. Because I have much to speak with him about. Hopefully by horse, until I can retrieve that quaint little cart the Hobbits made for me. And you already asked that."

Estel shook his head, "I don't understand."

"You are not meant to," Gandalf walked past the Man. "Legolas will be out shortly. Do not pester him with questions, he will not tell you anything more. Now, I am hungry and have had a long trip."

Estel glanced back at the tent where his friend still stayed before showing Gandalf to the 'private dining' tent for the camp.




"Goodbye Estel," Legolas said softly, hugging his friend, and brother. "Do not worry for me. Please?"

Estel returned the hug, not wanting to let the Elf he had become so close with out of his reach. He smiled sadly, "I will always worry for you Legolas. The Wild is no place for you."

Legolas smiled at the familiar debate, "Would you have me waiting in Rivendell, like a young maiden?"

"You're so pretty that you look like a maiden, Legolas," Estel teased with the same sad smile. "Take care of yourself."

"You look like a pile of mud half the time Estel. And I will. Stay out of trouble, mellon."

"Namarie."

Legolas smiled and mounted his horse and went to join Gandalf on the road. The sun was just rising.




Bree

Butterbur rushed to and fro with plates, wondering why he ever let that silly halfling helper of his sleep in. He had just gotten behind the counter by the door to replace a key to one of the now vacant rooms when a familiar wizard walked in with a shorter, hooded companion.

"What food do you have for travelers today?" Gandalf asked, keeping half an eye on his skittish companion.

"Well, you're just in time for breakfast. Sausage, eggs, and a bit of mead. Three pence."

"Come now, something lighter, Butterbur. Change the sausage for bread and cheese. Some fresh fruit, if you have it, for my friend here. And tea, raspberry, for us both."

Butterbur sighed, "As you wish. But I'm afraid that will cost you a tad more. Six."

The appropriate amount was placed on the counter and Gandalf led his companion to a secluded table in the far corner.

"Are you alright Legolas?"

The young Elf nodded without removing his hood. There were a few Men already about the tavern, and more coming in from the inn. The building, cramped with tables, a bar, and the odd booth, was making Legolas nervous. He didn't like having to stay hidden, nor did he like being inside such a small area.

Butterbur came by a few minutes later, setting down the plates before going to get the requested tea. He quipped about them 'eating like Elves' as he left.

"I do not like it here Gandalf," Legolas said quietly as they ate. "It's too small and closed in. There is no air."

Gandalf nodded sympathetically, "Just eat, we'll be out soon. The Shire is not very far now."




The entire landscape seemed to emit the feelings of home. Tall grasses waved and rippled in the warm summer air, wheat had begun to grow to its fullest, and everywhere Legolas looked, short, hairy-footed villagers stopped whatever task they had to watch them pass with wonder. The young Elf could not help but laugh as one particularly stern faced man glared at Gandalf.

Legolas had pulled his hood down, closing his eyes as he absorbed the sun's rays and the friendly aura of the Shire. The little cart shook slightly as it hit a stone in the road and Gandalf tipped his hat to a fellow waving in greeting.

"This is a quiet place Legolas," Gandalf said as Legolas opened his eyes to examining the little doors in the sides of the hills from where he sat. "The Hobbits have seen few Elves, so you may not have much time away from curious eyes. I'm certain the Bilbo will be more than willing to give you asylum. He seems to love strange things, adventures, and such."

Legolas raised an eyebrow, "Are you calling me strange, Gandalf?"

The wizard chuckled, "Indeed I am young Greenleaf. Now, be on your best behaviour. Bilbo can sometimes be a stickler for decorum."

"Gandalf!"

The two looked towards the voice to see a Hobbit, looking quite well-fed coming out of his Hobbit hole and smiling widely. Gandalf left the wagon in the little yard and greeted the Hobbit with a gentle hug and "hello".

"My, my. Who's this then? I don't think there's been an Elf in these parts for quite a bit. Looks rather young to me."

Legolas smiled and bowed, "I am Legolas."

"Legolas....now, where have I heard that before? Oh, I suppose it doesn't matter, must've been nigh on five or so years ago, I reckon. Oh! Come in, come in! Don't just stand out there. Rain's coming tonight. Farmer Maggot's been saying such all week, and from the clouds today, he might finally be right. Would you like some tea? Or perhaps a little bite to eat? You're just in time for luncheon, you know."

Legolas blinked at the Hobbit. He had no idea how such a small creature could talk at such length. Gandalf just patted his shoulder and followed Bilbo inside. Suddenly, Bilbo turned and bowed to Legolas.

"I am Bilbo Baggins my dear lad. I just realized we haven't been properly introduced. Frodo, my nephew, is around here somewhere. I'm afraid he's been a little upset lately though."

"Oh really?" Gandalf said. "And why's that? He's such a cheery boy."

Bilbo shook his head. "This new puppy Maggot's given him. The runt of the litter, I'm afraid. Poor little thing is sick now. Won't last the summer I think."

Legolas' sharp ears picked up a little sniffle from one of the rooms, and, with a nod from Gandalf, went to investigate. Bilbo was still talking in the background, going on about how all of his good silver went missing since the Sackville-Bagginses came to visit. The blonde shook his head with a slight smile, if Aragorn was this talkative, he would have left long ago.

A little yip brought the Elf's attention to the two little bundles on a small bed. A little Hobbit, no older than five, was curled up with a tiny puppy. Impossibly big, blue eyes, brimming with tears looked up at Legolas.

"H-hullo."

Legolas smiled softly and moved to sit by the bed. "Hello little Hobbit. I'm Legolas."

"I'm Frodo. Never saw an Elf before."

"I've never seen a Hobbit before today," Legolas said softly. "What's wrong?"

Frodo sniffled again, "Nimmy...h-he's sick. An' I can't make him better."

Legolas reached out a hand to pet the little puppy in Frodo's arms. "Do you mind if I take a look at him?"

Frodo shook his head. "Just don't hurt him!"

"Of course not."

Legolas felt the little black dog lick his hand and smiled. The little creature whimpered slightly and Legolas felt the palms of his hands heat a little, he didn't like seeing such a sweet and innocent being in pain. A little bark roused Legolas from his thoughts and a laugh from Frodo drew his attention back to the Hobbit.

"You made him better! Are Elves magic?"

Legolas smiled, he would need to talk to Gandalf later, he hadn't meant to do anything. "I don't think so. This is our little secret, okay?"

The wide-eyed Hobbit nodded and put a finger to his lips as his puppy jumped from Legolas' lap to the bed, quite healthy now.

"Here you two are."

Both youngsters turned to see Gandalf in the door. Legolas saw the look that basically meant 'we need to have another little talk' and sighed. Frodo just jumped up and attached himself to the wizard.

Gandalf patted the dark curls covering Frodo's head, "Your Uncle Bilbo needs your help Frodo. He seems to have lost a special map."

Frodo nodded and beamed. "I know where it is!"

Once the young Hobbit had run off, being followed by a playful puppy, Gandalf moved to sit on the now vacant bed. Legolas didn't move from his spot.

"What happened this time? What did it feel like? And what did you do?"

Legolas shrugged, "I don't know what I did. I just wanted the dog to be healthy and for young Frodo to be happy. The next thing I knew, the dog was like it had never been sick."

Gandalf mused on this, "Did you touch the dog?"

Legolas nodded.

"Well, I will need to think on this a bit further," Gandalf said, standing. He had to stoop so his head wouldn't hit the ceiling. Legolas was just tall enough to fit. "Right now, I have spoken with Bilbo. We are free to use the secluded part of the land out back. I, of course, did not tell him why, but I'm certain that he just thinks you'll feel too shut in inside. Tomorrow, I'll start to teach you a few little tricks, nothing serious quite yet. Once my business in the Shire is done, we may as well travel for a bit."

"Where would we go?"

"I wish to avoid going any further south than Lorien. Dunland is no place for you, nor are the Brown Lands. I do not think Lady Galadriel would appreciate an apprenticing Elf-mage being in her forest quite yet. Perhaps I will bring you back to Rivendell within four years or so. Or simply to Mirkwood, your father may have need of you soon. And I'm certain that your brother misses you."

Legolas smiled, "So in other words, you have no idea what to do?"

Gandalf huffed, "In simpler terms, I am still deciding. And don't even think of practicing your wit on me Legolas Greenleaf, or your training may suddenly become considerably more difficult than it needs to be."

Legolas chuckled and dodged ahead into the roomier living room as Gandalf tried to swat him.




Frodo watched with his wide eyes as Gandalf instructed his new Elven friend to close his eyes and concentrate. The five year-old Hobbit watched in wonder from behind his leafy hiding spot as Legolas took a deep breath and placed his right hand over the small creek.

A winding pillar of clear water made it's way to Legolas' hand, stopping just before it touched his flesh. The column formed a spinning pillar, winding as if it was caught in a cone.

"Good, now, picture it taking shape into a sphere," Gandalf instructed from Legolas' side. The Elf exhaled and the spire of water started to wrap itself around his hand until he turned it so the palm was facing up. The water gathered there until it formed a sphere, dripping and slowly turning. The sphere started to glow and Legolas furrowed his brow, trying to maintain the shape.

Finally, Legolas couldn't hold it any longer and opened his eyes with a gasp. The water trickled through his fingers as it made it's way back to the stream. Gandalf patted Legolas.

"That was very good. Nearly perfect! Do it again."




Mirkwood, Quite a While Later

Legolas, now sixty-nine (though that was still considerably young for an Elf), sighed as he unceremoniously flopped onto his bed. Nilad looked up from where he was reading on his own and sighed.

"Now what's the problem?"

Legolas sighed melodramatically, placing a hand to his forehead. "I'm bored."

Nilad raised an eyebrow, "See Legolas, there are these handy things called books. Say it with me now, B-o--ah!"

The elder Elf had barely ducked in time to avoid the "thrown" pillow aimed for his head. Legolas suddenly jumped up and crossed the room to grab the book from his adopted brother's hand. He stuck his tongue out at Nilad's protests.

"Insolent little brat," Nilad muttered.

Legolas grinned, "But I'm so cute and cuddly!"

Nilad cocked an eyebrow, "Sure you are. I'll just tell that to father when he has to choose a messenger to go to Rivendell."

"Nilad, I actually want to go. Besides, what trouble could I get into? It's not my fault Gollum escaped."

Nilad smirked, "You just want to see Aragorn again."

Legolas rolled his eyes and tossed the book back onto Nilad's stomach. "Of course I want to see him again. He's my friend Nilad. He's like my brother."

"Oh? Then what am I?"

"An exceptionally annoying creature that happens to live in my room?"

Nilad nodded, "Riiiiggghhhttt....First, I'm not nearly as annoying as you. Second, I was here first. Third, father's here."

Legolas turned to see the amused expression on Thranduil's face as the King of Mirkwood leaned against the doorframe.

"What am I interrupting this time?"

Legolas smiled sweetly, "Nothing."

Thranduil shook his head, "Stop that Legolas. It may have worked with Elrond, but it doesn't work with me. Since I'm already going to send you, you will also be attending a Council, Legolas."

Legolas nodded, his slightly childish mood passed, much to Nilad's relief. "When do I leave?"

"In a few hours."

Legolas smiled and stuck his tongue out at Nilad as he followed his father out to the hallway.




Legolas smiled as Nilad came up to him. He was expecting another match of wits, instead, Legolas got a tight embrace. Nilad grinned and pulled a thin silver chain from his pocket and placed it in his brother's hand.

"For you, from those that love you."

Legolas smiled and examined the pendant that hung from the weightless chain. It was a piece of obsidian, polished and carved with the Elven words of strength. The gem was set in a crystal carrier. Legolas kissed his brother's cheek and whispered his gratitude.

Nilad took the necklace and fastened it around Legolas' neck. "May it bring you strength when you need it most. My dear brother, stay out of trouble during the Council. Don't do anything foolish."

"Since when have I done something foolish?"

"Remember that time with Celebdae at the lake?"

Legolas smiled and swatted Nilad's arm. "That was your fault!"

Nilad chuckled and kissed his brother's forehead. "Take care, bratling."

Legolas nodded, "You as well. I should return in a few weeks, I think."

Nilad nodded, and Thranduil came to take his place. "Take care, Legolas. And please, please behave. I do have an image to uphold."

Legolas smiled, "Ada, your reputation outside of the forest is less than flattering."

Thranduil sighed, "Yes, well, I do not need you ruining it any further with your games. Behave."

Legolas kissed his father's cheek, "I will, Ada."

Legolas mounted his horse quickly and began his ride with two others. He should be out of Imladris quickly enough. He wondered if Aragorn would be at the Council as well, he missed his old friend.




Imladris had come within sight after two weeks of riding the Elven trails. Legolas wondered what Aragorn was like, as well as the twins. The blonde prince smiled as he remembered all the times they had played as children, and his smile only widened as he saw two identical Elves waiting to greet him.

"Elladan! Elrohir!" Legolas embraced each in turn.

The twins laughed and Elladan held Legolas an arm's length away to take a good look. "The little prince has grown!"

Elrohir nodded, "Quite well, I might add."

Legolas rolled his eyes, "Is Aragorn near?"

The twins nodded and Elladan answered. "He's in the gardens with Arwen."

"Lady Arwen's returned from Lothlorien?"

The twins nodded as one. "She's been eager to see you; something about a jest on Gandalf you both played while in Lorien."

Legolas smiled, "Yes, well, I'll find her later. I have a message for your father."

Elrohir took it, "I'll bring it to him. Gandalf's here with a few Hobbits that Estel brought by. As well as a company of Dwarves from Erebor, and a Man of Gondor. A few Men of Dale, as well."

"All here for the Council?"

Elladan nodded, "Just like you. However, you'll need to fill us in on the discussions."

The blonde looked up at his friend, "Why?"

"We're being sent North to gather the Dunedain. Adar wanted us to help with the patrols. All we know about the Council is that it's drawn the Nazgul to the ford."

Legolas paled, "What would they be doing so close?"

"They were following Estel and the Hobbits...They may have been sent out to destroy Aragorn," Elrohir answered nervously. He shook his head and laughed, "Enough of these matters, we're finally all here again!"

"Unfortunately," Elladan intervened; "we have duties to attend, and Legolas, you must be tired. Dinner is in two hours, but I suggest coming early if you wish any food at all. The Hobbits seem to have no end to their appetite."

"I'm well experienced with the Halflings," Legolas laughed before leaving to his old chambers.




Legolas had just finished dressing in the elegant robes Elrond had had brought for him. Legolas hadn't the heart to refuse the formal attire outright. As he secured the leaf brooch his father had given him, as well as Nilad's pendant, there was a knock on the door.

Legolas opened it to see Gandalf standing there, looking rather impatient.

"Mithrandir! It's been too long."

"Not for me," Gandalf muttered. He smiled and accepted the seat the young Elf offered him. "So, my little 68 year-old Elf, how have your powers progressed?"

"Well enough, I suppose," Legolas sighed. "No stronger, no weaker. I haven't used them in a few weeks though."

The Istar nodded, "Well, after dinner, we'll need to discuss this. But first, do you remember Frodo Baggins?"

Legolas nodded, "Of course. Bilbo Baggins' heir. The child with the puppy."

Gandalf smiled, "You're still a child yourself, mind you, but yes. I want you to protect him, Legolas. All will be explained in the morning, but it is imperative that you do not let Frodo venture on his coming trials alone."

Legolas nodded absently, not knowing what to make of this. Gandalf stood and the blonde followed him to the door.

"He doesn't remember you, Legolas. He cannot remember that far back."

"He is mortal."

"As is Aragorn..." Gandalf reminded. "His memory is not as great as it once was, and he has changed."

With that, the dining hall door was opened and Legolas joined the twins, looking around for a glimpse of his other friend.




Legolas wandered the halls of Imladris, the twins were curiously absent and no one paid much attention to a lone princeling. He passed through the bright halls slowly, enjoying the memories of his time spent playing in these same corridors. He was drawn by the sounds of arriving guests and leaned out over one of the open hallways to see who was entering the courtyard.

He spied a few Dwarves stalking through the pathways to be greeted by Elrond, some Men from Dale accompanying them. Two Elves from Lothlorien arrived at the same time, easily ignoring the Dwarves and keeping their hooded cloaks over their features. Legolas pursed his lips as he looked over the courtyard, the twins stood with their father, 'enjoying' their duties in greeting. Growing bored with watching, he started to wander away, thinking to search the library in hopes of a good story; though he sorely missed his father's stories.

Four small figures came bowling around the corner suddenly, stopping just short of Legolas, and ultimately landing together in a little pile.

"Oh! Sorry Mister Elf, sir," said one of the Hobbits quickly. "Didn't mean any harm."

"You're not going to get us into any trouble, are you?" asked another.

"Hush Pippin," the first one spoke again.

The largest of the four pushed the two away and bowed to the amused and slightly confused Legolas. "Terribly sorry, Master Elf. We were just wanderin' and didn't see you there."

Legolas smiled, "No harm done. I'm Legolas Greenleaf."

One of the Hobbits thought for a minute, "That sounds familiar..."

The larger one smiled, "Well, Master Legolas, I'm Samwise Gamgee, at your service. This here's Mister Frodo Baggins, Mister Bilbo's nephew don't you know. And these two scallywags are Meriadoc Bandybuck and Peregrin Took; two of the rascals of the Shire."

Legolas blinked, having forgotten how much a Hobbit could say in a single breath. "Well, I'm glad to have met you then, Master Hobbits."

Pippin stepped up, "Would you like something to eat? We were just on our way to the kitchen for after lunch snacks."

"Perhaps next time, I'm looking for someone right now."

"Maybe we could help!"

Sam batted Pippin, "Hush Pip. Would you like any help, Mister Legolas?"

The Elf shook his head, amused at the Hobbits' antics. "Not at the moment, thank you."

Frodo smiled, a brilliant smile to match his expressive eyes. "I think it best that we were all on our ways. Will you be at dinner tonight?"

"Of course, and I'll be happy to sit with you, unless Lord Elrond has other plans."

The Hobbits all grinned and continued on their way, practically bouncing down the halls.




Legolas saw Aragorn in the Hall of Fire as he passed by on one of the balconies past the hallways. He stopped to look at his friend from a distance, surprised at the Ranger's appearance.

The Man before him was no longer the boy he had called 'Estel'. No, this Man had a definite air of authority, and the strong form of one used to the hard life in the Wild. Eyes downcast, studying the pages of a book Legolas recognized as one he had given Estel years before their parting.

The Elf made his way down a flight of stairs to where his friend was sitting.

"Estel?"

The Man looked up, surprised for a second before he gathered Legolas into a tight embrace. "Legolas! It has been so long!"

The Elf laughed, "Estel please, though an Elf I may be, I still need to breath."

"It can wait," the Man said, though he relinquished his hold. "And it is Aragorn now, my friend."

"So I've heard."

Legolas took the offered seat next to his friend and smiled.

"You've grown quite well," Legolas mused.

Aragorn lifted a hand to brush some stray hair behind Legolas' ear, "As have you. No longer are you the small Elfling from so long ago."

Legolas grinned, "And you no longer look like an unkempt youth...Now I suppose it is an unkempt Man."

Aragorn huffed, "Well, you still look like a maiden, regardless of your age. Will you be joining the feast tonight?"

"I must. I've already promised four Hobbits that I'd sit with them."

The Man laughed, "Then that cannot be helped."

Elrohir called to Legolas from the way the blonde had entered and waved to them both. Legolas stood. "We will have to talk together later on."

Aragorn nodded, "When we both have time."

Legolas smiled and left to go see what Elrohir wanted.




TBC...
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=632