Between Us or Dealing with Weddings by Unbegrenzt
Summary: After enduring an unnerving encounter with Frodo (see 'Borrowed Trust, Returned Comfort') and an awful prank pulled by Pippin, Merry has made a decision. Where will it lead him?
Categories: FPS, FPS > Merry/Pippin, FPS > Pippin/Merry Characters: Merry, Pippin
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 3083 Read: 2024 Published: January 23, 2009 Updated: January 23, 2009
Story Notes:
For those of you who favour hobbit sex to hobbit romance, don't worry. I promise much of both to come.
Part of the 'Afterthoughts' series: Borrowed Trust, Returned Comfort, Between Us or Dealing with Weddings, What It's Worth, No Matter How Far.

1. Chapter 1 by Unbegrenzt

Chapter 1 by Unbegrenzt
Merry tugged on the reigns distractedly. He might have seemed, to an uncritical eye, like a Hobbit who was letting his mind wander for a spell. His head was cocked slightly to the side, and though he was indeed looking down the road ahead, his eyes seemed to be staring past the end of it.

In truth, his concentration dwelt fully on the body he felt bouncing along beside him on the rickety cart. His companion, his sweet Peregrin Took, was asleep despite the potholes in the road. 'He can sleep ANYWHERE,' Merry thought affectionately, pulling the reigns again to slow the ponies. With the poor animals nearly at a trudge, he dared to peer at Pippin openly... instead of just out of the corner of his eye.

'It was like seeing Pip for the first time, really,' Merry recalled sometime later. The fading light reflected faintly on Pippin's curly reddish-brown hair. His tunic was ruffled; the top two buttons were opened carelessly, exposing the milky-white skin beneath to the cool evening breeze. His face had such a look of peacefulness to it that one might have mistaken him for dead, were it not for the radiant glow of his cheeks and the rosy blush of his slightly pursed lips.

Merry longed to brush a stray curl from his beloved's fair forehead, but he didn't have the nerve to touch the sleeping lad. He did not wish to disturb this very epitome of beauty for all the gold in Middle Earth. He let the wandering lock hang and reluctantly pulled his attention back to the ponies, suddenly aware that they were rapidly losing daylight to travel by. They hadn't made near as much progress as they should have. Redoubling the pace of the ponies, Merry checked worriedly to make sure he hadn't disturbed Pippin. The young hobbit stirred, yet sleep won him back almost immediately and he settled again, this time against Merry's shoulder.

Merry winced and eased Pippin back onto the support of the trembling wagon. Now that he had realised his feelings for the foolish Took, he'd have to be careful; very careful indeed. He prayed silently that Pippin wouldn't notice the cautious change in his behaviour. He knew that the lad was sharp and had a knack for figuring things out, despite his amiable clumsiness and foolishness. 'But he can't help those things,' thought Merry with a smile, 'He is a Took, after all.'

When the sun finally sank beneath the horizon, Merry pulled the wagon off the road, bumping gently into a lush, grassy field. He halted beside a loan tree, unloading the supplies that two hobbits would need for a filling supper, a pleasant sleep under the stars, and two breakfasts. He took down all of what they required as quietly as he could without bothering to rouse the younger of the two, who was (much to Merry's amusement) snoring none too gently.

Only after he had everything unloaded and had gathered enough firewood to last through the night, did Merry go about the task of waking his noisily snoozing younger cousin. He poked and prodded gently at first, and when the stubborn Took did not so much as wrinkle his nose in protest, Merry shook him gently. After a good few moments of shaking, the peaceful expression still remained on the fair sleeping face. Merry felt something begin to nibble naggingly at his innards. Fear? 'Well, he's always been a sound sleeper,' Merry reasoned with himself nervously. He cleared his throat.

"Hey, Pip? Hoy!" he called softly, still shaking the limp shoulders, "Pippin! Wake up now, lad. You have to help with supper!"

Still, Peregrin did not stir. "Pippin? Pip. Peregrin Took, wake up this minute!" Merry cried, his voice rising steadily with each syllable. "Come on, Pippin! Wake up now!"

Merry slapped a cheek hesitantly. He received no reaction. He placed a hand on Pippin's chest and, feeling no rise or fall, he panicked. "Oh, Pippin! What has happened? You were all right before!" he wailed, staring wildly at Pippin's stilled face.

Then, he caught it. A hint of a mischievous smile flicked upon Pippin's lips as he hurriedly exhaled the air which he had held trapped in his lungs for the last half-minute.

Merry's eyes widened in surprise and relief, but had narrowed into a simmering sort of angry glare by the time Pippin opened his own eyes.

"What has happened?" Pippin mocked, his grin widening. "Oh, Merry! Would that you could have seen your own expression! You were so utterly-"

"Do you not think that you're a little old for such tomfoolery, Pippin?" Merry interrupted shakily. His hands were clenched into tight, white-knuckled fists. Pippin laughed loudly and heartily. He gave Merry a companionable clap on the back and jumped down from the wagon.

"Nonsense, my good Brandybuck!" he replied, laughing even harder. "I'm only twenty-nine, after all! A hobbit lad's got to have a little fun once in a blue moon, hasn't he?"

"Not through such means!" Merry exclaimed. He fought to keep a shrill note from entering his voice. "You gave me a fright if I've ever known one, Pippin Took, and I daresay that I've known quite a few!"

Pippin sobered somewhat and the laughs died, although a smile remained firmly plastered on his face.

"I'm sorry if I gave you such a fright, Merry, but did you not know that I was awake the entire time? I had an awful time feigning sleep, what with all the bumps in the road, and I thought I was doing a horrible job of it..." His voice trailed off into the rich twilight. Merry's breath caught in his throat. 'The entire time!' he thought, aghast. 'He was awake the entire time!'

"I-" Merry's voice faltered momentarily as he fought to regain his composure. "You executed that trick perfectly, in keeping with your infamous trickiness, if I do say so myself." The remark, meant to be lightly scolding, came out harsher and more bitter than Merry had meant it to.

Pippin did not reply. In fact, nothing was said for the rest of the evening. They cooked and ate and smoked in silence. As they were slipping into their separate bedrolls (one on each side of the ancient tree), Pippin's voice suddenly broke the awkward quietness between them.

"I am sorry, Merry. I shan't do it again."

This time, it was Merry who made no answer. During the hours of silence, he had come to a decision. He could not stay with Pippin at Crickhollow quite yet. It was too dangerous; Pippin was just too cunning. Merry would go the rest of the way there, of course, and help Pip unpack and fix up the old place. He would then return to Hobbiton for a short visit. He had debated silently with himself long and hard about this, and of course about the excuse he would have to give Pippin.

The perfect excuse was not hard to find. Sam's wedding was coming on fast, and Merry could easily make Pippin believe that he was needed to help with the preparations. Pippin could come back for the actual ceremony, and by then Merry thought he would have himself under enough control to return with him.




When they crossed the Brandywine early the next morning and finally came to the small house in Crickhollow, Merry helped Pip unload and straighten up the place. Seated for a late lunch, Merry set his plan into action.

"I'll be heading back to Hobbiton early tomorrow, Pip," he said, straining to sound and act nonchalant. Pippin looked up miserably from across the table.

"Is... Is it because of me, Merry? Is it because of that silly trick?" he asked heavily, lowering his gaze and taking a sudden interest in the designs on his plate.

Merry had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep from confessing it all then; letting it all come out, if only just to let Pippin know that it wasn't his fault. Instead, Merry forced himself to chuckle a little, and he smiled despite his anxious heart.

"Not at all, Pip! What's done has been done, and you apologized for it, what's more. I've really got nothing to be upset about. You see, Sam's wedding is coming up in a short time-less than a month, if you can believe it-and Frodo asked me before we left if I'd be willing to come back and help with some of the preparations while you finish getting things in order here. The garden is an absolute mess! Would you not agree?"

Looking up again, Pippin regarded Merry carefully with a stoical expression which caused Merry to twitch involuntarily. 'Please, believe me this one time, Pip! You always have! Then again, I've never had a reason to lie to you before this, have I?' he thought desperately.

"I would say the garden needs some fixing up, and soon, if we're actually going to get any vegetables grown this season. I'm no gardener, Merry. If I may be so bold as to say it, you are more skilled at such things than I am. Then again, Frodo did ask expressly for your help, did he not?"

"Yes, that he did," Merry answered, perhaps a little too quickly. "and I plan to do exactly what he says, no matter what your skills are when it comes to gardening. Frodo has got his hands full: Sam's wedding is going to be one of the biggest and grandest anyone in the Shire has ever seen. Frodo asked for it when he put himself in charge of organizing the whole affair, but I'll be a Bree-lander if I don't agree to help him do it!"

A queer little smile played upon Pippin's lips-one Merry knew very well. It was the kind of expression the young Took had always gotten when trying to solve a riddle.

"Very well, Merry. You've made it quite clear what you must do. I'll do my best with the garden shovel in the meantime and make it back to Hobbiton for the big day. We can come back here after that," he said, studying the older hobbit seated before him through eyes alight with curiosity and intrigue.

Merry was shocked. The fool of a Took had played right into his hand! He had expected things to go his way in the end of course, maybe after a little row, but it had been easier than he could have ever fathomed it would be!




By the time Merry returned to Hobbiton, he was still amazed at how smoothly everything had played out. Pippin had even gotten up early to see him off on the morning he had set out!

Now, a day later, he was back in Hobbiton and faced with a new dilemma. What on Middle Earth could he possibly say to Frodo? Unfortunately, he hadn't really thought past how to get away from Crickhollow.

Soon, he found himself outside of Frodo's door and he knocked twice before letting himself in. He was relieved to find Frodo alone, quietly preparing a small breakfast for himself in the kitchen. He had not heard Merry knock or enter. He nearly dropped his plate in shock when he turned around and found the travel-weary hobbit slumped into a chair at the kitchen table.

Recovering from his surprise, Frodo placed his plate in front of Merry without a word and sat opposite him across the small table. He watched Merry devour the light meal and spoke only when Merry was dabbing at the corners of his mouth with a borrowed handkerchief (In his rush to leave, Merry had quite forgotten to pack one of his own).

"I was not expecting you back so soon, my dear Merry," Frodo said cooly, sipping at some tea which he had decided seemed more appetizing than the supper he had been preparing--the supper which now lay at the bottom of Meriadoc's stomach.

"I was not meaning to return so suddenly," Merry replied, seemingly calm and collected. Frodo arched an eyebrow skeptically, a tight smile forming on his lips.

"I do hope you've not returned with the intention of engaging in further... activities... as I'm not sure I'd like to partake," Frodo admitted, meeting Merry's gaze with a seriousness which could not be denied. Merry nodded and was silent for a moment. It had seemed like so long ago, and yet he knew that only days (or rather, nights) before, he had finally indulged the lust he had always felt for his older cousin. Only days ago, he'd discovered (with a marginal amount of horror) his true self, and though he was grateful to Frodo for helping him do it-

"I said it then and I'll say it now again if need be: I'm not in love with you, Mr. Frodo Baggins. I have no intention of partaking in that sort of activity with you, or any other, ever again." Merry was stalling for time to think, and Frodo seemed to sense it.

"Then why are you back so soon, Merry? You can't just come waltzing into my kitchen uninvited, eat my supper and use my handkerchief without an explanation. I'll not allow it!" he exclaimed with a smile on his face despite himself. He could tell that Merry was in a poor state.

Frodo later swore that he saw Merry's eyes light up briefly before a pitiful look of dejection settled on his face.

"Pip and I had a row." 'Of course! Why didn't I think of it earlier?' Merry thought proudly. 'Oh, how brilliant!'

Frodo's skeptical smile faded and was replaced by softened pity.

"Oh, Merry! How horrible! Whatever could you have argued about with the dear lad?" he asked, eyeing his cousin with concern. "If you don't mind my asking, of course."

Merry's eyes glazed over with tears and he silently congratulated himself on his excellent performing ability.

"Actually, Frodo, I'd rather not talk about it just yet. It happened so quickly and I left in quite a state," he answered slowly, peering at Frodo from under wet lashes.

"Of course, dear Merry! Of course!" cried the older hobbit, patting Merry's hand reassuringly.

"Actually," continued the Brandybuck with a little sniff. "I wanted to see if I could be of any help to you, what with Sam's wedding coming up and all. You must be very busy."

Frodo smiled tolerantly, getting up from the table to fix some more tea for the two of them.

"Well, I do believe there is a job you could do for me, Meriadoc," Frodo chuckled, "and that is to keep that Gamgee and his fiancée as far away from my home as possible."

Merry gasped, instantly forgetting his tears.

"But... But Frodo! It is their wedding, is it not? Shouldn't they be permitted to help organise it, if that is their wish?" he asked, rather flabbergasted. Frodo grinned wickedly, returning to the table with the steaming teapot.

"Oh, but my dearest Brandybuck, no!" cried Frodo, the smirk spreading to his eyes. "There are some things that Gamgees and Cottons know how to do rather well: gardening for example, or marrying each other, for that matter. But, when it comes to actually preparing for the whole grand wedding affair, they're all about as useful as Hobbits in the Brandywine, without a boat. I do so cherish Sam's company, as well you know. I wouldn't mind so much his daily visits (in fact, I'd cherish them all the more), if they were just that: visits. Oh, but Merry...No! He's always going on about how perfect everything must be, for Rosie, mind... and, well, it's almost like he doesn't trust my judgment at all!"

Merry was taken aback. Sam, not trusting Frodo's judgment? The mere idea was preposterous, and Frodo was being unusually silly about it.

"Now, you stop right there and think for a moment, Frodo Baggins. You know that I will gladly do this job for you, but you must not actually think that I'll believe-"

Frodo sighed as only Frodo can sigh, the grin evaporating as quickly as it had come.

"Oh, well, I'm sure he still trusts my judgment. You're right, of course, Merry. I think it's mostly Rosie he's concerned about. As I said, he wants everything to be perfect for her. He debates my every decision on her behalf, trying to keep in mind her likes and dislikes, and hates every minute of it, I'll warrant. I don't know whatever for. Rose herself couldn't care less how the flower displays are laid out or how many guests are present. She's told me as much. The lass wants to get married as soon as possible, and the only thing that matters to her is that she's there and Sam's there and the mayor's there to sign the papers." Another smile crept over Frodo's mouth, this time muted and thoughtful. "They're so in love, Merry. It's absolutely beautiful to see. Sam is the happiest I've ever seen him, yet he's also the most argumentative I've ever seen him, and for no good reason! Frankly, things will move along much quicker and turn out much better if I'm allowed to organise in peace."

That said, Frodo tore his gaze away from Merry's and concentrated on filling his teacup again. 'Two can play at this game, Merry my lad,' he thought. 'I don't know what you're hiding, but I'll find out, and until then I'll be keeping my own secrets to myself.'

Merry, for his part, was still rather astonished at Frodo's request. Frodo had always seemed to enjoy Sam's company, no matter the circumstances. How strange that it had suddenly changed! When Frodo spoke again, his voice was quieter.

"Do you know that they're both coming to live here after the marriage?" he asked, watching Merry's face carefully. It remained cautiously neutral, and Frodo continued. "It was my idea, you know. I'm sure it will work out wonderfully, and that I'll almost certainly be the best taken care of Hobbit in all the Shire, however... If that will ever be, I must first organise the wedding," he reasoned, once again growing cheery and animated. This time, Merry returned the smile.

"I understand. So, as I am now your faithful employee, when do I start?" asked Merry. Frodo peered at the clock on the wall behind Merry's head and laughed. "I think he'll be heading up the Hill right now."
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=573