White Stone, Grey Eyes by Ered Miriwen
Summary: Ecthelion has left Aman and crossed the Grinding Ice out of love for Turgon, but after more than a hundred years he still hasn't been able to open his heart to him. As they are about to be secluded in the hidden city of Gondolin, a nervous Glorfindel helps him.
Categories: FPS > Turgon/Ecthelion, FPS, FPS > Ecthelion/Turgon Characters: Ecthelion, Turgon
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2809 Read: 1358 Published: December 31, 2008 Updated: December 31, 2008
Story Notes:
Written as a Christmas gift for JDE. I know I'll never be as good as she is, but I've done my best.

I'm a feedback addicted. So, whatever you think about it, tell me!

Beta Reader: my mother (I'm not joking!)

1. Chapter 1 by Ered Miriwen

Chapter 1 by Ered Miriwen
"And high and noble as was Elemmakil, greater and more lordly was Ecthelion, Lord of the Fountains, at that time Warden of the Great Gate. All in silver was he clad, and upon his shining helm there was set a spike of steel pointed with a diamond; and as his esquire took his shield it shimmered as if it were bedewed with drops of rain, that were indeed a thousand studs of crystal."
-- Unfinished Tales, Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin – J.R.R. Tolkien

Prologue – 50 First Age

The mighty Vala Ulmo, lord of the waters and friend of the elves, was deeply concerned for the fate of the Noldor.

-True enough, they have risen up against the will of the other Valar, but not all of them are equally guilty!- Ulmo was wandering restlessly around his submarine dominion, causing the surface of the sea to ripple -The Kinslayers certainly deserve their doom, but what of those who have only followed them, bound by the oath of Fëanor, that haughty insane elf? What of those who have crossed the Helcaraxë with grief and losses? They have already borne so much... I want to grant them al least some peace, whatever the others will think of this.-

He decided to take matters into his own hands without consulting the other Valar and chose two worthy elves to lead their people to safety: Finrod and Turgon.

At that time of outward peace, the two chosen elves often travelled together. They had been close friends since they were in Aman, but now Finrod lived on the island of Tol Sirion and Turgon had settled in Nevrast, so they only had a chance to meet during their wanderings.

It was during one of those wanderings that Ulmo approached them. While Turgon and Finrod camped on the banks of Sirion, the Vala came out of the river as mist and laid a heavy sleep on them, sending them dreams of the places where they and their people could be safe, at least for some time. To Finrod he showed the hidden caves of Nargothrond, and to Turgon the valley of Tumladen in the Ecoriath, the Encircling Mountains.




116 First Age

After fifty-two years of hard work the Hidden City was completed. It stood on a hill in the middle of the valley and was encircled by mighty walls. When the sun illuminated it, the city stood out from the green fields around it like a white lily on a meadow because of the white stone that composed it.

Gondolin was its name, 'the singing stone', because it was built over a great subterranean spring and countless fountains sang with the voice of water and stone.

Though everybody liked the fountains there was one elf who cherished the bubbling water more than anyone else. His name was Ecthelion and he had been aptly appointed Lord of the House of the Fountain, one of the twelve Houses of the Gondolindrim. He was of noble blood, and had followed Fingolfin through the Grinding Ice, leaving his family back in Aman. At the time of the crossing he was quite young, but he had grown to be a respected leader and a proven warrior. He wasn't the typical warrior, though. He enjoyed designing and building fountains and squares far more than killing orcs, and never showed off. For example convincing him to sing in public was something only the stubborn Glorfindel could do.

Glorfindel had been Ecthelion's best friend since they were children. He was Lord of the House of the Golden Flower. He had been the only Vanya to follow the Noldor, and his blue eyes, golden hair and fair skin always earned him yearning looks wherever he went. He knew how handsome he was and behaved accordingly. He also was always the one to look at the bright side of things and to have a laugh.

And it was his bubbling laughter that woke Ecthelion from his musings. Glorfindel was happily chatting with Egalmoth, the young Lord of the House of the Heavenly Arch.

-Aaye, mellyn nin!- he hailed, standing up from the edge of the great fountain where he was sitting.

-Thel, alone with your thoughts as usual- joked Glorfindel.

Ecthelion rolled his eyes and pointed out sharply: -You can't depict me as an antisocial only because I, unlike someone else, am not always flirting with someone.-

Egalmoth blushed slightly, but said nothing.

-Don't listen to him, Egalmoth- said the Vanya tossing back his shiny hair -He's just jealous of my charm-

The Lord of the Heavenly Arch looked at him with a raised eyebrow for a moment before bursting out laughing. Ecthelion soon followed his example, and so did Glorfindel.

-My Lords, it's a pleasure to find you in such high spirit- the voice of the King interrupted them -for tonight we have to celebrate.-

The three Lords sobered and bowed to their King. Turgon smiled fondly before speaking to Glorfindel, though his eyes were focused on Ecthelion -I hope that you'll convince our shy Lord of the Fountain to sing for us tonight-

The blond elf bowed again, promising smugly: -By all means, yes, I'll do whatever is necessary to convince him.-

-Do I have to be afraid, Glor?- Ecthelion mocked him -Anyway there will be no need for you to do anything at all. I will sing if this pleases my King.-

-Please, Ecthelion, there's no need to use my title, we've known each other for a lifetime- then he added, somehow sadly -How many times will I have to tell you, mellon nin?-

The Lord of the Fountains lowered his eyes to avert the King's grey stare, so alike his own. But even when he wasn't watching him he could always see Turgon in his mind. He would spend hours daydreaming about the sharp, aristocratic features, the pale skin and the stormy grey eyes which could turn into pools of despair or shining stars of happiness. He would see the tall figure, the tallest of the Noldor in fact, walk slowly towards him in endless reveries; or he would wake in the middle of the night after dreaming again of the Helcaraxë and of the moment Elenwe, wife of Turgon and mother of Idril, fell into the icy waters.

The King turned to Egalmoth -I have a few things to ask the people of your House for tonight's festivities. I want everything to be perfect. I think we all deserve this. And- his voiced filled with affection -my daughter has never seen the splendours of a court: she was only a child when we left from Aman...- his voice trailed off, waves of memories floating back to him. He shook himself from his musings and started arranging details about decorations and music with Egalmoth. They agreed that they needed to talk to Salgant, Lord of the House of the Harp, but none of the two really liked him.

As Turgon turned to face Glorfindel, the Vanya shook his head -No, you're not going to convince me to do it for you. You can always order me to, but surely you don't want a duel to spoil the celebrations for our beloved city. Salgant hates me, and you know how touchy and stubborn he is...-

-Now you seem to be talking about yourself, mellon nin- teased Ecthelion, causing both Turgon and Egalmoth to burst out laughing.

-As you can see, I'm not touchy- boasted the blond elf -I'm not offended by the fact that you're laughing at me- then, in a perfect self-parody, he threatened: -If you don't immediately stop making fun of me I'll challenge you to a duel to the last blood!-




After Turgon and Egalmoth left, Ecthelion resumed his sitting position and looked up at the Tower of the King, the tallest building of the city -Gondolin is even more beautiful than I imagined it to be- said pensively.

Glorfindel nodded -And I hope tonight's celebrations are as splendid as our city- Ecthelion gave him a knowing smirk, and the blond elf added: -You could join me. It's been long since the last time we had a flirting competition- he laughed -If I remember correctly, it was back in Valinor, and I won.-

Ecthelion rolled his eyes -There's no need to remind me that you're the charming one between us.-

-Please, Thel!- said Glorfindel in exasperation -You look as good as I do, maybe less exotic, but I assure you that sometimes I'd rather be a dark-haired Noldo and not be remembered of all the people I left behind every time I look into the mirror.-

The Lord of the Fountain lowered his head, letting the raven black locks fall on his face like a curtain. He felt guilty towards his best friend even without being reminded of the sacrifice he had done for him.

-I don't repent having followed you- said the Vanya, sitting beside Ecthelion and placing an arm around his shoulder. Ecthelion smiled gratefully and leaned on Glorfindel. -But I don't want it to be in vain. I don't want to be secluded here for the next centuries watching the two of you looking absent-minded and dreamy every time you meet each other, and...-

Ecthelion cut off angrily -He was married. He loved Elenwe more than his own life and I've seen him, as you have, when she died. I don't think he'll ever fall in love again. And there is Idril. Turgon will never betray her mother.-

The Lord of the Golden Flower stood up suddenly. He looked indeed mighty and lordly as he fixed his piercing azure gaze into his friend's eyes. -Do you remember what your name means, Ecthelion?-

-'One of sharp resolve'- murmured the dark-haired elf, though in that moment he felt all but firm.

-Yes, but sometimes I fear your parents were wrong in giving you this name- Glorfindel shook his head and departed. As he was leaving the square he met Turgon, who was heading towards his study followed by Elemmakil and Egalmoth. He bowed hastily and resumed walking.

The King shot him a puzzled glance, then his eyes drifted to Ecthelion, who was still sitting on the edge of the fountain. -If you have nothing better to do than stay here daydreaming you can come with us and help decide how to have Salgant on duty during tonight's festivities without having him selling us to Angbad- laughed Turgon.

-He's too noble to do something like that- remarked Egalmoth, half serious.

Ecthelion laughed and stood up to follow them.




After more than one hour of boring work, Elemmakil and Egalmoth left the King's office. Ecthelion was about to do the same when Turgon stopped him.

-Yes?- he said, turning towards his King.

-I was just wondering... is everything alright?-

Ecthelion caught a glimpse of concern in the deep, rich voice of Turgon. He scrutinized his features to find a hint of where he was heading, but the only thing he could notice was, as usual, the smooth skin of his cheeks, his noble profile, the countless shades of brown of his silky hair...

-Mellon nin?-

The Fountain Lord shook himself from his musings -Yes, everything alright. Why did you ask?-

-I saw Glorfindel quite upset, so I thought... But I must have been mistaken.-




The celebrations for the inauguration of the city took place in the great hall of the royal palace. It was one of the latest buildings and it had never been used before. Thousands of candles shone brightly, illuminating the majestic tapestries hanging on the walls. Long tables surrounded a large space at the centre where the dances would have taken place.

As the King entered the room with his daughter and sister everyone stood up and greeted them. Aredhel, the white lady of the Noldor, looked beaming, but her young niece, Idril, was even more beautiful.

Ecthelion's gaze, though, didn't linger on the two noble ladies more than a moment. His eyes soon fixed on Turgon. The King was wearing a deep maroon velvet tunic that fitted him perfectly and a set of golden jewels to match his golden crown.

As a Lord of one of the most important Houses, Ecthelion sat on the King's table. He was glad to spend some time with Turgon in such a merry occasion. All the people around them made him feel comfortable; there was no need to be always the one to keep the conversation running and he could just enjoy the good food and wine and listen to the music.

It had been a long time since the last real party he had attended to, and he had almost forgotten how much he liked it. In his fancy silver clothes, Ecthelion looked stunning, and there were few who could keep up with him. He was also an excellent dancer, and all the ellith and ellon who asked him a dance remembered him that Glorfindel could have won their last 'flirting competition', but that he was one of the most handsome elves in the city. Remembering that he and his best friend hadn't spoken since that afternoon, Ecthelion thought that maybe they should talk. He saw the Lord of the House of the Golden Flower walking back from the dance floor.

But as he stood up, Ecthelion found himself face to face with a slightly flushed Turgon. -Would you mind a dance?-

Not trusting his voice, the black-haired elf nodded and accepted the proffered arm. They made their way towards the centre of the dance floor. They were both gifted dancers and handsome elves, and everybody looked at them.

-You look great tonight- said Turgon.

Ecthelion smiled and murmured a thank you. The King's tight embrace, the wine, and the twists and turns of the dance were making him feel quite light-headed. After what seemed only one moment the music slowed down, and the Lord of the Fountain found himself with Turgon's head resting on his shoulder. The elf's light breathing tickled his neck. Ecthelion held Turgon closer, forgetting just for a moment that they were in the middle of the great hall.

As the song ended, he took a step back and looked at his King. Turgon's smile completely mesmerized him. In that moment the proud leader of Gondolin looked a lot like the serene ellon he had been back in Aman. The kingly air about him mingled with one of almost childish joy. Without thinking, Ecthelion made his way out of the crowd towards the doors of the hall and Turgon followed him silently.

Their escape didn't go unnoticed. As he turned back closing the door behind him, Ecthelion saw Glorfindel casting him a knowing smirk, with a mischievous smile in his eyes.

The sky outside was full of stars, and a pale moon shone over the two silent elves.

-Thank you. It was getting quite suffocating there- said Turgon quietly after some time.

-Aren't you afraid that someone could notice that you're missing and think...- Ecthelion broke off.

-Think what?- Turgon turned to face the other elf with a faint smile -I'm not doing anything wrong. Nothing I shouldn't be doing- he drew closer and took Ecthelion's hand -Maybe you are the one who should be careful, mellon nin.-

-Careful?- the Lord of the Fountain echoed, sincerely puzzled. But, as realization struck him like a hammer, he felt the need to laugh. -You didn't really believe...? There's no one...- he hesitated -no one who could think ill of me if I have a walk under the moonlight with my most handsome friend.-

-So you haven't got a mate- there was relief in the King's voice as he spoke, and Ecthelion felt incredibly happy in hearing it.

-You thought that Glorfindel and I were lovers, didn't you?- laughed the Fountain Lord, holding Turgon's hand.

-I did, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one!- he retorted -From the way you two behave one could think so.-

-Are you jealous?- Ecthelion mocked him with a sly smile.

Turgon fell silent for a moment and Ecthelion bit his tongue, fearing to have dared too much. He lowered his head and let go the hand he was holding. But strong fingers pulled up his chin. -I've mourned Elenwe long enough. We both deserve some happiness now.-

As he raised his head, his eyes met Turgon's smile. He watched the beautiful lips inch toward and as he felt them on his own, his mind went completely blank. They were soft and slightly damp. Ecthelion threw his arms around Turgon's waist and leaned passionately in the kiss. The night wind caressed them, mixing in the fresh air brown and black hair and playing with the silver and maroon ceremonial robes. The water sprinkling from the Fountain of the King covered with its ringing voice the sweet promises exchanged between lovers.
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=507