Hope by Balalaika
Summary: Pippin is feeling very lonely in Minas Tirith, and he hasn't got any hope left for tomorrow. But then he meets Faramir, will he find hope?
Categories: FPS, FPS > Pippin/Faramir, FPS > Faramir/Pippin, FPS > Pippin/Merry, FPS > Merry/Pippin Characters: Faramir, Merry, Pippin
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 2013 Read: 5918 Published: November 12, 2008 Updated: November 12, 2008
Story Notes:
It's not really necessary to have seen the film, but it will help, for I left out a lot of the original tekst, just because I couldn't recal it. I filled the gaps by putting in Pippin's thoughts.

1. Chapter 1 by Balalaika

2. Chapter 2 - Guard of the citadel by Balalaika

Chapter 1 by Balalaika
Why is it always me who does all the stupid things?

I only wanted to look into that ball I found in Isengard, I didn't mean any harm. I mean, I found it, and it was so pretty and it seemed so unfair that Gandalf took it without letting me take a good look at it.

It seemed to be calling to me, calling out to me all the time. At last I couldn't resist the urge to have a good look. I crept up to Gandalf, and replaced it with the nearest object I could find, a waterjug. I remember Merry whispering "Pippin, what are you doing?" but I didn't listen.

"Pippin!" Merry said a bit more urgently, but it was too late...

The ball seemed to be on fire, I wanted to let go but I couldn't. Then I heard him.. The dark Lord talking to me inside my head..asking me who I was. And I saw a dead tree in a burning city, and that voice kept asking me my name...

At last someone freed me and I could let go, but the torment didn't end there, for Gandalf kept asking me what I had seen, and what I had told the Dark Lord. I told Gandalf I haven't told the dark Lord a thing, and he believed me.

I would never tell a lie. I may be a fool. But I'm an honest fool.




Chapter one - The journey to Gondor


To Pippin the first hour or so after the incident with the Palantir where a bit of a blur. He was vaguely aware of walking to the stables. He snapped back into reality when Merry said: 'Don't you understand? The enemy thinks you have the Ring!'

No this couldn't be, he, Pippin, the ringbearer? Who would believe that? Then it struck him: the enemy knew a hobbit carried the Ring, and now in the palantir of Sauruman a hobbit was seen, the dark Lord must have thought that Sauruman had sent him a message.

Pippin was so lost in thought that he hardly noticed Gandalf putting him on Shadowfax's back.

Then Merry handed him a leather pouch. 'The last of the Longbottom-leaf' Pippin said surprised. 'I know you've run out of' Merry said, holding back the tears that treatend to spill out of his eyes. Not until this moment had he realized how much Pippin meant to him. Merry had long ago found out that he fanied Pippin, but suddenly he realized he didn't fancy Pippin, no, he loved him, loved him a lot.

'You smoke too much Pip' he said, still holding back his tears.

Pippin looked at Merry and he also realized that he was in love.

'But....You're coming with me' Pippin said, and to his horror he saw Merry take a step back, out of the way.

'Merry, Merry' he cried out. He wanted to shout 'I love you' but couldn't because Gandalf had just spurred on Shadowfax and they shot out of the stables with amazing speed.




They rode on for hours and hours. Meanwhile the immage of Merry on the verge of tears kept coming up. Pippin didn't know what this meant, was it love, or was Merry just sad over not coming with his best friend? Yeah, that had to be it, Merry was just very sad for being left alone in this big world, sad for seeing his friend leave him, it couldn't be out of love. You can't fall in love with your cousin.

"We are now passing the borders of Gondor" Gandalf said, as he steered Shadowfax though a river.

Pippin looked around him taking in the landscape.

so this is the land that Boromir loves so much

But thinking about Boromir only added to Pippin's sad mood. He had loved Boromir, as a member of the fellowship and as a friend. Boromir had always been kind to the 'little ones' and had protected them for most of the journey.

Pippin felt sad, for he missed Boromir deeply.

Pippin wonderd where Frodo and Sam were, he hadn't seen his cousin and his loyal gardner for some time now. He missed them too.

Pippin's mood got worse, for now more memories of happier times where coming at him, and he just wished he was back in the Shire, in the Green Dragon or in Bag end. He just wished this war was over, this world was too big for him, much too big.

Meanwhile Gandalf rode on, and he never said a word, too lost in his own thoughts.




"Look Pippin" said Gandalf " Minas Tirith"

Pippin looked up in awe, for he had never seen such a big city. Edoras had been big, but Minas Tirith was huge and wonderful. Pippin now understood the passion with which Boromir had spoken about the white city.

Again Pippin felt very small.

They entered the city though enourmous gates and climed up the the different levels, until they reached the top.

There was a white tree guarded by several men, it was dead.

That's it, the tree I saw in the Palantir

Pippin wanted to take a closer look, but Gandalf was already heading towards the gates of the palace.

Pippin, still feeling a little dazed about seeing the dead tree, almost missed Gandalfs words about not telling Denethor about Boromir, Aragorn, Frodo and the Ring. " Just say nothing at all'

Who does he think I am, and old lady gossiping about the neighbours? But somewhere deep in his heart Pippin knew Gandalf was right, he did sometimes say too much and get himself, and others, into trouble. But that's still not a reason too treat me like a little kid!

Thet entered the great hall, it was filled with statues, probably kings of old and kin to Aragorn.

At the end of the hall was a great throne, and on a smaller trone sat an old man, dressed all in black.

This had to be Denethor, father of Boromir.

As Pippin and Gandalf approached the throne, Denethor looked up. Pippin was stunned by the sad expression on the old man's face as he looked up at Gandalf and demanded an explanaition for an object in his lap, a broken horn.

Boromir's horn, what's it doing here?

Pippin heard Denethor say "Are you going to tell me why my son is dead?" and before his eyes flashed an immage of Boromir, fighting of orcs, while he was pierced by many arows.

This man's son was a hero, who had died for him. Pippin felt he had to do something.

He steped forward and said: "He died defending my kinsman and me from many foes, he has saved my life"

And before he knew it he had offered Denethor his service. Gandalf didn't seem pleased, and as they left the great hall, Pippin heard Gandalf mutter something under his breath. "Fool of a Took"
Chapter 2 - Guard of the citadel by Balalaika
Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor,
and to the Lord and Steward of the realm,
to speak and to be silent,
to do and let be,
to come and to go,
in need of plenty,
in peace or war,
in living or dying,
from this hour henceforth,
until my lord release me,
or death take me,
Or the world end.


Pippin found it hard to say those last two lines, for it seemed the world was about to end and with the oncomming war, there was even more chance to be killed.

Denethor took no notice of it and put out his hand, so Pippin could kiss his ring.




Back in their room, Pippin looked out of the window. The sky was black, but near Mordor something was giving of a wide beam of light. The light was facinating, but frightening.

Pippin turned his attention to the clothes on the table, the gear of a citadel guard. There was also a sword.

"This is just a ceremonial position isn't it?" he asked Gandalf, "I mean, thay don't want me to do any fighting, do they?" Pippin eyed the sword suspiciously, he didn't like fighting.

"You are in the service of the steward of Gondor now" Gandalf said "a guard of the Citadel"

Pippin walked toward the balkony where Gandalf was standing.

"That is Minas Morgul" Gandalf said "home of the Lord of the Nazgul, his most deadly of servants."

"But we have the White Wizard, that must count for something" Pippin said, trying to cheer Gandalf up a bit, he wasn't used to a gloomy Gandalf, but to a cheerfull one.

They stood together in silence.

"Is there any hope for Frodo and Sam?" Pippin asked, it was so dark outside and the world was so gloomt, there seemed to be no hope.

"There never was much hope, only a fool's hope" Gandlaf said, who seemed to be cheering up again.

Pippin felt slightly relieved, as long as there was hope for Frodo, there was hope in this Big world.




On the horizon a city could be seen, Osgiliath. In there men where fighting for their lives and most of them where losing the fight. Those who could retreited, but many didn't make it.

Pippin was once more in front of Gandalf on Shadowfax. Gandalf was trying to save as many men as possible, by sendig away the winged nightmares.

Pippin was terrified of the creatures, and flinched everytime someone was trown off his horse, to his death.

He was very relieved when Gandalf scared them of and even more relieved when they where back inside the gates.

There he got a shock, there he saw the fairest man he had ever seen. The man greatly resembled Boromir, but he had a lighter frame and the most lovely blond hair Pippin had ever seen.

Merry was instantly forgotten, the second that lovely man looked at him. The man looked at him thoughtfully with his lovely blue eyes. And Pippin fell in love.

"Faramir, this is not the first Hobbit you've seen." Gandald said.

Pippin felt very stupid, the man Faramir was not interested in him, he had seen Frodo and Sam and was now wondering what this Hobbit was doing here. On one side that was a good thing, it meant Frodo and Sam weren't caught by the enemy, but on the other side the lovely Faramir had no interest in him.




Later that night:

Pippin walked back to his room. He had been doing his job as a guard of the citadel, waiting on his lord, and now he was tired and he realy wanted some sleep.

He went round a corner and suddenly halted, there on a bench sat Faramir. Pippin's heart missed a beat, and he quickly made to turn around as not to disturb him, but Faramir had already seen him.

"Good evening master Hobbit" Faramir said, "Will you not join me for a while?"

"Of course, captain Faramir" Pippin said, making a light bow.

"Call me Faramir, we are not on duty and it makes talking much easyer. I wanted to talk to you about my brother Boromir, will you not talk of him, master Hobbit?" Faramir looked almost pleadingly at Pippin.

Pippin couldn't resist those eyes, and he sat down next to Faramir, "If I may call you Faramir, you may call me Pippin, or just Pip."

For the first time that day Pippin saw Faramir smile.

They talked for hours on end, mostly about Boromir, for they both missed him very much and needed comfort.

At last Faramir said, "Would you like to come with me to my room?" He added hastely "for something to drink?"

And again Pippin melted to that pleading look, he would have come to Faramirs room even without the offer of something to drink. He knew about warriors comfort, and he knew they both needed it now.

As they entered the room, Faramir kneeled down before him, pushed him against the door and kissed him.

And for the first time in days, Pippin didn't feel scared or small.

He had found hope.

tbc??
End Notes:
A/N Does anyone want me to continue this story or is it crap? Let me know, all feedback welcome.