The Taste of Rain by JDE
Summary: Written in response to Ered Miriwen's LoM challenge on the Lyrics 'Unwritten'.
Categories: FPS > Thranduil/Elrond, FPS, FPS > Elrond/Thranduil Characters: Elrond, Thranduil
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: The rest is still unwritten.... (but you can choose your own title)
Challenges: The rest is still unwritten.... (but you can choose your own title)
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1428 Read: 8442 Published: November 01, 2008 Updated: November 01, 2008

1. Chapter 1 by JDE

Chapter 1 by JDE
"You sent my son on a quest that almost killed him!" Thranduil snapped sparing Elrond a withering glance as they rode to the Havens.

Elrond retorted, "I sent him after he volunteered!"

"He volunteered because none of you were elf enough to take up the thankless suicidal mission!" Thranduil said viciously.

"I am sure that he inherits certain traits of his forefathers; they have a history of taking up suicidal missions," Elrond said with a smirk as he tried to nudge his mare away from the King of Greenwood.

Whatever had made Gandalf and Cirdan assign them the same ship? Elrond knew it would a long journey to Valinor. Elrond and Thranduil shared an odd friendship that spanned millennia. But still their arguments were vicious and always left Elrond drained. He looked at Thranduil, the handsome features were momentarily focussed on the rain clouds from the east, a smile gracing those rose lips.

Not for the first time, Elrond felt a pang of desire and pain in his heart. He had long loved Thranduil secretly. But the king seemed to have devoted himself to his son and subjects after his wife sailed centuries ago. He had never taken a long term lover again. Occasional one-night stands with elves of Lothlorien were his only trysts. Elrond could not work up the courage to tell the king of his feelings and to take the obvious rejection that would result. He covered his attraction with barbs and rude comments which Thranduil delighted to return in kind.

"I am offended," Thranduil continued their debate, "My father might have done a suicidal mission, but that doesn't give you the right to say that the entire family inherits those traits!"

"I was not talking of Oropher," Elrond shrugged, "I was talking of your exploits in South Mirkwood. Celeborn was describing your stupid, reckless, suicidal bravery."

"A king leads by example, Elrond," Thranduil retorted, "Unlike you who sat behind the safe walls of Imladris and sent your sons and foster-son and my son to Mordor, I was actually on the battle field!"

"Who told you to let him capture that fortress?" Elrond asked, "I didn't let anyone creep on my borders!"

"Because Celeborn and I were defending the paths of the Misty Mountains that led to your refuge!" Thranduil snorted, Elrond thought that Thranduil looked more handsome when irritated, "Else you would have woken in Mandos!"

"I am a proven warrior," Elrond shrugged, "You know that well."

"True," Thranduil said with a conceding shrug, "But I was talking of your cowardice to send my son to Mordor and not even bother to inform me of that!"

"You would have reacted horribly," Elrond smiled, "I didn't want your wrath on my head right then."

"I was hoping that you cared at least that much," Thranduil shrugged before moving forward to join Gandalf leaving Elrond alone with his thoughts.

"I see that you are again arguing with him," Gandalf nodded at Thranduil as he joined Elrond in the long line of elves.

"It is impossible not to," Elrond said wryly as the first drops of rain fell from the skies. A clear peal of laughter resounded as Thranduil extended his palm to catch the droplets with elfling-like enthusiasm.

Elrond stared at the sight until Gandalf said, "I suppose that he doesn't know that you argue to keep him at an arm's length, to hide your love from him."

"What?" Elrond said angrily as he turned to face Gandalf and pulled his cloak over his head to keep put the rain, "Mithrandir, I must insist that you are out of our bounds!"

"A wizard has his own bounds," Gandalf said smiling, "And do you say that I am wrong, Master Elrond?"

"You know I don't lie," Elrond glared at him, "But, pray, don't meddle in this. I will not disturb the equilibrium we have now! There is friendship now, even if it is a weird kind of friendship."

"How long have you been attracted to him?" Gandalf queried, raising his pipe to his mouth.

"Since I have seen him," Elrond whispered as Thranduil's eyes met his own curiously, "Elbereth forgive me, but I have loved throughout my own marriage."

"And still you hide," Gandalf snorted, "You are a fool!"

"A wise fool," Elrond cut in, "I will not have our friendship tampered with, Mithrandir! None of your meddling!"

"Tell me, Elrond Half-Elven," Gandalf leant across to face an angry elf-lord, "Will you know what the next page of a book is without flipping the current page?"

Elrond looked at him disdainfully. Gandalf laughed and began to hum one of his infernal songs,

Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten.
I am just beginning
The pen's in my hand
Ending unplanned


Elrond paid no attention to the wizard and moved his mare forward. Unfortunately, that put him beside Thranduil again.

The king's laughter faded as he saw his companion and Thranduil said quietly, "You seem rather troubled."

"I was thinking," Elrond shrugged as he distractedly watched a single drop of rain fall on Thranduil's cheek and flow down. He wished that it were his fingers instead of the drop that caressed Thranduil's face.

"You are staring," Thranduil raised an eyebrow, "It is unnerving, Elrond."

"Sorry," Elrond mumbled, Gandalf's song still lingering in his mind.

"Don't you like the rain?" Thranduil asked laughing as a downpour began, he upturned his face to get drenched, "It makes me lighter in spirit."

"Yes," Gandalf commented, "There is nothing that feels like rain drenching your skin. I seem to remember a song regarding that."

"Oh!" Thranduil laughed as he wrung his wet hair at Elrond, making the water land on Elrond's face, "Do sing it for us, Mithrandir!"

Elrond moved away, he was sure that he would not particularly care to hear any song of Gandalf's that day. Still the wizard's voice followed him allowing him no quarter.

Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open


"That's enough," Elrond grumbled, "Really, Mithrandir, as soon as we reach Aman, I will ask a master at Tirion to teach you the basics of singing! You are worse than a Halfling."

"I am sure that I would appreciate your kindness," Gandalf chortled, "However I am in a mood to sing today, whether you like it or not. Now do help Thranduil to get his cloak on, he is getting skin-soaked. Elf or no elf, it is a downright storm coming."

Elrond uncertainly took the cloak from Thranduil after they dismounted and as Thranduil held out his arms, Elrond helped him into it. Their hands brushed, Elrond noticed that Thranduil's wet damp robes clung to the skin outlining his figure.

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions


Gandalf's song was driving him insane, he cursed as he almost touched Thranduil's soaked form absent-mindedly.

The king looked back curiously and asked, "What is it, Elrond?"

"We should ride faster," Elrond sighed as he turned, "We must reach the city before we are caught in the storm."

"Elrond," Thranduil's voice was soft, so soft that it almost made Elrond sigh with pleasure, "A moment if you please," Elrond turned to meet the frank green gaze.

Suddenly, soft lips brushed Elrond's uncertainly as Thranduil leant forward with doubts in his eyes. Elrond pressed his fingers to his lips as Thranduil leant back again, retreating from his personal space.

"Why did you do it?" Elrond breathed.

"I... I wanted to taste the rain," Thranduil blushed as he averted his eyes.

I break tradition
My tries are outside the lines
We have been conditioned
To not make mistakes
But I cannot live that way


Elrond cursed Gandalf even as he asked in a whisper, "And how does the rain taste?"

"I am not sure," Thranduil replied in the same tone, "I was not concentrating."

"Maybe you could try again," Elrond suggested as he tilted his chin upwards slightly to offer Thranduil his lips.

"I will take up that offer, My Lord," Thranduil said as he closed the distance between them and claimed Elrond's lips in the most sensual kiss Elrond had ever experienced. They broke apart as Gandalf clucked impatiently.

"I think," Thranduil said quietly as he ran a finger over Elrond's kiss-bruised lips, "That I am addicted to the taste of rain."

The smile that lit Elrond's features rivalled the light of Earendil itself.
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=412