A Season on Taniquetil by Himring
Summary:

For some time, Fingon has settled back into life in Tirion, learning to live without Maedhros. Now duty to a relative summons him elsewhere, into Vanyarin territory.


Categories: FPS Characters: Fingon
Type: None
Warning: Depressing themes
Challenges: International Day of Fanworks
Challenges: International Day of Fanworks
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 394 Read: 686 Published: February 14, 2015 Updated: February 14, 2015
Story Notes:

Written for the International Fanworks Day challenge.
Prompts (supplied by Tallulah): shoes, mountain, contraption


Warning for unspecific religious references and possibly depressing themes.

 

 

1. Chapter 1 by Himring

Chapter 1 by Himring
Author's Notes:

The story is set in the 'verse of my Maedhros series (and follows "The House that Fingon Built"), but can probably be understood easily enough without knowledge of the other stories of the series.

It is set in Valinor after Fingon's re-embodiment.

(See also End Notes.)

It was said that, if you started the climb in brand-new boots, however sturdy their soles, they would be worn through by the time you reached the top of Taniquetil. How often the truth of this had been tested, Fingon did not know. If the Valar did want you up there, they possessed devices as effective as any Feanorian contraption to achieve that end, for all that some parts were invisible.
But he was not attempting that climb today. He was merely scaling the lower slopes in order to reach the plateau where Findis lived the life of a hermit.

Many Vanyar believed that, through the ascetic life that Findis led, she was attempting to expiate the sins of all her family. Fingon doubted this—it had always been as impossible to keep Findis from meditating as Maglor from singing or Feanor from the forge. Nor did he feel especially pious as he took his turn, sweeping the hut, preparing the occasional meal and milking the goat. He had never really questioned his aunt’s holiness, but sometimes he was less sure what exactly that intense contemplation of hers had to do with the Valar or Eru—or with anything else.

Findis spent whole days and nights in rapture, perched unmoving on a rock, or on her knees in prayer. But when she awoke, she was quite willing to converse civilly with Fingon—she did not even prove impractical, as long as matters did not require her attention just when she was listening for something else only she could hear.
It was calm up there on the mountain, alone with the sun and the wind and the snow. The only occasional excitement was provided by the goat—who was just a goat and, like any goat, respected neither mystic nor prince.

When he left, Findis said: ‘Next time you come, bring that cousin of yours.’
‘Cousin?’ he asked.
Findis clicked her tongue impatiently. Minor details like names often escaped her.
‘The redhead—the one you love.’
He was taken completely by surprise. Long-unaccustomed tears rushed to his eyes.
‘I can’t. He hasn’t returned from Mandos.’
‘Pish’, said Findis indignantly, promising: ‘I’ll pray for him—and you.’
‘Will it help, praying?’
It was that important; he would never have been rude enough to ask, otherwise.
‘I have no idea’, answered Findis, with devastating honesty. ‘But it feels as if it ought to.’

End Notes:

If you follow this series on SWG or AO3, you will already know that Maedhros will eventually return from Mandos (although Findis does not get mentioned in that connection).

This is the first time I've written about Findis, daughter of Finwe and Indis and Fingon's aunt.
She features in History of Middle-Earth and it seems to be implied there that she may have been close to her mother and influenced by her Vanyarin heritage, but few details are given. We do know that she did not join the exodus of the Noldor to Middle-earth.

The story is a quadrabble: 4 x 100 words in MS Word.

This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=3900