The Deep of the Soul by Faeglin Sindar
Summary: Filling in the blanks at Helm's Deep - Aragorn faces up to loss and love.
Categories: FPS > Aragorn/Haldir, FPS, FPS > Aragorn/Legolas, FPS > Legolas/Aragorn, FPS > Haldir/Aragorn Characters: Aragorn, Arwen, Haldir of Lothlórien, Legolas
Type: None
Warning: Het Content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1356 Read: 1005 Published: August 27, 2012 Updated: August 27, 2012

1. Chapter 1 by Faeglin Sindar

Chapter 1 by Faeglin Sindar
High in the Hornburg, Theoden King called a council together. There were some five of his captains, together with Aragorn, Legolas, and Haldir, who's company of Lorien elves were now the bulk of the defense force guarding the ancient fortress.

"I am saddened to report in the face of such a display of good faith by the firstborn, that neither I, my Captains, nor any of our officers speak the elven tongue. It must therefore fall to one of the Lords Haldir, Legolas or Aragorn to command the elven warriors." King Theoden paused and looked expectantly at the three.

Aragorn continued to stare at the table.

Haldir, after a nod from Legolas spoke, "My own knowledge of the common tongue is limited to the forms of diplomacy, and I speak not at all the tongue of the Rohirrim." At Theoden's frown, he raised a hand swiftly to assuage the King's fears. "Aragorn has the advantage of fluency in all of the tongues we speak, including that of Rohan. (1) He is the best placed to command we elves in battle, where brevity of speech and clarity of reason may be all that hold our peoples together against the darkness."

They all looked expectantly towards Aragorn, hoping for him to confirm Haldir's assessment.

Dark, stained locks stirred, and from their depths he looked up, first at Haldir, then at Theoden. "I concur. Which parts of the walls would you have the bowmen of Lorien cover, Theoden, King?"

The strategy was swiftly decided. The elves would form the greater part of the defense atop the Deeping Wall, while additional longbows would prepare to shoot volleys in great arcs over the wall, replenishing the defenders atop, as required. With the broad decisions made, Theoden and his captains departed to tell the Rohirrim their positions.

Legolas and Haldir looked at one another. Haldir had but to raise an eyebrow at the young elf. "I will go see that Gimli has all his axes sharpened. I will see you at the wall." With that Legolas too departed the room.

"Estel."

At his elven name, Aragorn looked up at Haldir, "What is it Haldir of Lorien?"

Haldir continued in Sindarin, "Your foster father sent a message to Galadriel and Celeborn in Lothlorien. Though none of the three, including Elrond, thought you should be told, I disagreed. Since you still wear her love token, perhaps for once I am correct and he is wrong."

Aragorn looked up in surprise. He had know the elf for well nigh 70 years (2), and never had Haldir questioned the orders he was given. "What is wrong, Haldir?"

"The news concerns Arwen. Accepting Elrond's guidance she has taken leave for the Grey Havens. She sails for the Undying Lands with the greater part of the peoples of Rivendell. Only those who would fight now remain, to safeguard it for the retreat of the Gladrhim in their own flight to the havens. I am sorry, my friend." Haldir chocked once again.

Aragorn clutched with his left hand at the jewel he wore, remembering the bittersweet words of the Lord Elrond. 'So long as I abide here, she shall live with the youth of the Eldar. And when I depart, she shall go with me, if she so chooses.' (3)

Aragorn spoke softly, "The Lady Galadriel said to me at our parting that Arwen's choice was yet before her." His head fell once again, "She has chosen, then."

Haldir nodded.

Now he removed the jewel Legolas had held for him until his seeming return from the dead that very day. Discarding it on the table, he moved to the room's only window, an arrow slit, east facing.

"Thank you Haldir, for telling me this."

"That was for friendship alone. Lady Galadriel bade me tell you this only, in her own words, 'Beware of love in the midst of battle, lest in grief your own lifes blood is spilled.' The rest I told you out of friendship, and love. I will depart this earth before the dawn." Haldir hung his head for but a second. "My Lady's mirror is not to be disputed in this, I fear. That is why you must lead the elves to victory with your own kind. They will then not then suffer the sudden loss of their leader in the midst of battle. Such a loss would give the enemy one advantage that is in our power to deny him."

Releasing his grip on the window, Aragorn turned to face Haldir, "It cannot be!" Tears formed in his eyes, "You too do not have to leave me?"

His question unanswered, but for the look in Haldir's eyes, Aragorn opened his hands towards the elf, "Haldir?"

Haldir took Aragorn's weeping face in both his hands, "I beg of you, command over the elves this night. You must drive them on Estel, hold forth until the dawn, until a new day brings its hope."

Disbelieving, Aragorn grabbed both Haldir's wrists and held the elf's hands to his chest, "Haldir, what are you saying? You cannot fall, you will not fall! This is not even your war!"

"Peace my friend." Haldir drew his right hand away from his friend's clasp and stroked his cheek, soothing him as best he could. "If I do not die then others must. Others who love you as much as I do."

Aragorn shook his head, threw off Haldir's arms and beat upon the elf's chest. "How is it that the only two with whom I have shared my soul in all these years can be taken from me in one night?"

"Estel," Haldir grabbed the man, crushing him to his chest. "I am sorry for the bad tidings I bring you." Haldir kissed Estel's forehead. "With your guidance this battle will not be the end. You carry too much hope within you." All the while the elf's tears dripped onto the lank locks of the man he embraced.

He continued, "You should not despair, for there is one on Middle Earth who loves you above all others, above even his own better judgment." Haldir looked over at the discarded jewel on the table. "You have been given that gift again. Do not abandon it so easily."

At Aragorn's incredulous frown, Haldir pressed a finger to his lips, "This too was I shown. He hides his relief, Estel, at your miraculous survival. And he also hides his fear for you. He has returned this necklace to you with new meaning."

Haldir spoke softly into Aragorn's ear, "Where do you think his heart now lies?"

"I do not know where my own lies, how can I judge another's? Haldir, my soul is in turmoil."

Estel's pleading look was enough to bring Haldir once more to tears, to embrace the man, for the last time, and plant on his lips a deep and passionate farewell kiss. "Namarie." (4)

"The time for thought and feeling is ended, now only our actions matter. May the grace of the Valar accompany you." Haldir kissed Aragorn once on each cheek,

"Le hannon, meleth-nin." (5)

At that, Haldir strode from the room, red cloak furling after him.




Aragorn lifted the jewel from the table, gazing at it intently.

"Aragorn," Legolas' clear voice sounded from the door. Seeing what it was that Aragorn gazed at, he lowered his eyes. "I am sure her thoughts go with you."

"No Legolas, they do not. She goes to the havens." Aragorn turned to the elf, beckoned him into the room.

Legolas entered and closed the door. "Haldir told you this? That explains the tears I saw on his face as he passed me in the corridor. And those that dry on your cheeks. It is a sad day for Middle Earth that one so fair departs."

Legolas gazed out the window before turning back to face Aragorn, "But we fight on, even in our grief."

"I fight on for love. For you." If the elf was surprised by this admission, he did not show it.

Aragorn clasped Legolas' shoulder, and the elf returned the gesture. "Come Legolas, we have much to do this night."
End Notes:
Notes and references:

(1) As Thorongil (Appendix B, LOTR) the young Aragorn spent time in Rohan and Gondor, therefore he must have become acquainted with the speech of the Rohirrim. Hence Haldir's comments in this story, and his actual command over the elven warriors in the film, over all others. Ref: Second Age 2957-2980.

(2) Author's assumption that when Aragorn first met Arwen, SA 2951 he also met Haldir, (she'd hardly have been sent alone from Lorien to Rivendell, and who better to guard her?)

(3) Appendix A (V) pg 3 (ish!) for quote from Elrond, 'so long as I abide here, she shall live with the youth of the Eldar. And when I depart, she shall go with me, if she so chooses.' Also film one, FOTR (extended), Galadriel, "That choice is yet before her."

(4) Namarie - Farewell

(5) Le hannon meleth nin. - Thank you my love.

Any dodgy Sindarin is entirely my own fault, corrections welcomed.

Author's note: This story arose from a few things that puzzled me about Helm's Deep in the film of TTT. What on earth was Aragorn doing giving commands to the elves? Surely Haldir is more experienced at fighting orc armies, by hundreds if not a thousand or more years - he has already displayed his fluency in the language of the men so that couldn't be an object. And just why did Haldir shy away from Aragorn like that when he hugged him, what is he afraid of? As for Legolas, please, if my best mate just came back from the dead, I'd be ecstatic, not chasten his timekeeping and appearance, so what exactly was Legolas covering with his glib remarks? Hope this fills the gaps!
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=3576