Literacy by Cheysuli
Summary: AU. Mirkwood Elves have no written language. After the Quest, Gimli teaches Legolas how to read.
Categories: FPS > Legolas/Gimli, FPS, FPS > Gimli/Legolas Characters: Gimli, Legolas
Type: None
Warning: AU
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1441 Read: 1809 Published: August 10, 2012 Updated: August 10, 2012
Story Notes:
Written for The Library of Moria's Legolas/Gimli Challenge.

1. Chapter 1 by Cheysuli

Chapter 1 by Cheysuli
"Read me a story, Gimli," Legolas asked, falling onto the bed, holding a thick book. He smiled sweetly at the Dwarf who was standing nearby.

Gimli frowned and sat down next to the elf, taking the book from his hands. "Again, Legolas? I read one last night." He shook his head and handed the book back to Legolas. "Why don't you read one tonight?"

Legolas hesitated, staring at the book in his hands. "I... I like it when you read to me." Legolas sighed and continued to stare at the leather-bound book before looking over at Gimli, holding out the book. "Please, Love?"

Gimli sighed, taking the book, and settled against the pillows. Legolas crawled over to him had rested his head on the Dwarf's chest, closing his eyes, and listened as Gimli opened the book and turned a few pages.

Gimli smiled. It was hard to believe that a three hundred year old elf still liked to be read to. He chuckled, causing Legolas to open his eyes and look up at him.

"What's so funny, Gimli?" Legolas asked, confused.

Gimli shook his head, smiling. "You."

Legolas frowned and sat up "Me? Why?"

"You are so much like a child, Legolas," he answered, laughing again

when Legolas started to pout.

"I am not."

Gimli shook his head and pulled Legolas towards him, kissing the tip of his nose. "You do too, Love. Only a child would ask for a bedtime story every night."

Legolas sighed, hugging himself. "I like stories."

Gimli closed the book and held it in front of Legolas. "Then why don't you read one tonight?" He raised his other hand, stopping Legolas' protest. "And before you tell me that you like to hear me read, consider this: I would like it very much to hear you read." He handed the book to the elf and leaned back, waiting.

Legolas stared hard at the book, a look of intense concentration on his face, before he reluctantly opened it. He cocked his head, staring at the markings on the page. He jumped and nearly dropped the book when he heard Gimli clear his throat. He looked up, afraid that he had done something wrong.

Gimli motioned towards the book, a frown on his face. "The book is upside down." He watched the elf as Legolas slowly turned the book around. Legolas frowned and glared at the first page, tilting his head as if he had trouble seeing the words.

Legolas finally whimpered softly and dropped the book. He lowered his head, hiding behind his long hair. "I don't know how."

Gimli stared at the elf, his mouth hanging open in surprise. He looked from Legolas to the book and back at the elf, trying to determine if he had heard wrong. He shook his head and cupped Legolas' chin, raising the elf's head so he could see his eyes. Legolas closed his green eyes before Gimli could see much, but what he had seen was confusing.

"Legolas?" he said gently, as if trying to coax a frightened animal out of a corner. Legolas reluctantly opened his eyes and looked at Gimli. "Can you read?" he asked, certain that he had simply misheard.

Legolas closed his eyes again and slowly shook his head. Gimli sighed and pulled the elf into his arms. "Why didn't you tell me, Love?"

Legolas sighed and laid his head on Gimli's shoulder. "I was... ashamed."

Gimli hugged him tighter, rocking gently. "Legolas... why can't you read?"

Legolas raised his head and looked at him, sadness in his eyes. "My people, the Mirkwood elves, we... we... " He hesitated, trying to find the right words. "None of us know how to read," he whispered, laying his head back on the Dwarf's shoulder.

Gimli was shocked. A whole society....illiterate? Immortals, some of whom are centuries, even thousands of years old, who can't read? How could this have happened? The whole thing seemed impossible and Gimli briefly considered the idea that Legolas was fooling him. He sighed, quickly discarding that idea. Legolas would never lie about something like this.

He moved his hand up and started stroking the elf's hair, still trying to think of a response. He glared at the book, as if it alone was the caused of his Beloved's shame.

Gimli returned his attention to his lover, a question foremost in his mind.

"Why?"

Legolas looked up at him out of the corner of his eye. "We have no written language, Gimli. We don't need to read."

Gimli frowned, immediately seeing many problems with that answer. "But what about when a message came from another land? How did you read it, and respond to it?"

Legolas laughed quietly, the sound more of a shaky breath than an actual laugh. "We had the messenger read it aloud, and we dictated a response." Gimli narrowed his eyes, remembering something his father had said him years ago. Gloin had told him that Mirkwood Elves were so conceited that they used servants to do things they could easily do themselves. Gimli had believed him then, but now he realized that they simply didn't know how to do those things.

Legolas closed his eyes, mistaking Gimli's expression for anger. "I'm sorry, Gimli." He pulled away from Gimli and started to leave the bed.

"I'll stop bothering you."

Gimli, torn from his musings, looked up at Legolas, confused. "Legolas, where are you going?" He grabbed Legolas' arm before the elf could get too far away and gently pulled him back. He held Legolas' face so he could look him in the eye. "You are not bothering me, Beloved. I...." he searched his mind desperately for the right word. "I was just startled, is all."

Legolas smiled softly and leaned into the touch. "Thank you."

Gimli blinked, he hadn't expected that. "For what?" He couldn't think of anything the elf should be thanking him for.

"For reading to me," Legolas answered, leaning in to give Gimli a quick kiss. He moved back and smiled brilliantly and grabbed the book, handing it to Gimli. "Story?"

Gimli laughed and nodded, laying back against the headboard. Legolas crawled over to him and rested his head on the Dwarf's chest, closing his eyes. He opened them when Gimli cleared his throat and looked up at him, confused. "Legolas, move a bit."

Legolas stared at him, not understanding. He had always rested like this when Gimli read to him. "Why?"

Gimli smiled and stroked the elf's hair. "I would like you to study he words as I read them. Move so you can see the page of the book." Legolas frowned slightly but shifted so he could see. He stared at the book, still a bit confused. "Why do I have to study the words, Gimli?"

Gimli laughed and opened the book. "Well, how else are you going to learn how to read?"




ONE MONTH LATER

Gimli smiled and looked over at Legolas, who was sitting on the bed with a book in his lap. He laughed quietly and shook his head. The elf was a fast learner. He had successfully read a short story aloud last night, only stumbling over a few words, and Gimli had decided it was time for a more difficult book. He had given Legolas a book, written in Common, on Durin the Deathless and Legolas was slowly studying the writings.

"Gimli?"

Gimli looked up to see Legolas frowning at the book, a look of intense concentration on his face. "Yes, Love?" he asked, standing from his chair by the window and walking over to the elf. He sat down next to Legolas and waited patiently for the elf to speak.

Legolas looked over at him, still frowning, and pointed at the page he was reading. "What's this word?"

Gimli leaned over at looked to where Legolas had indicated. "Precarious." He pointed at the word. "Sound it out, Legolas. Pruh care e us."

Legolas nodded and did as he was told, studying the word so he would recognize it the next time he saw it. He smiled at looked over at his teacher. "Thank you for being so patient with me, Gimli."

Gimli shook his head, waving his hand. "Nonsense, Beloved. You would do the same if our positions were reversed."

Legolas nodded, still smiling, and returned his attention to his book. He looked up when Gimli cleared his throat.

Gimli laid back on the pillows and motioned Legolas over to him. He smiled at Legolas as the elf crawled over to lay beside him, book still in hand. "Now, Beloved," he said, stroking Legolas' hair. "Will you read me a story?"
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=3229