A Bad Mix by Lussuin
Summary: Erestor and Haldir don't exactly get along, actually they hate each other's guts! When they get stuck in a flood and awaiting rescue, they find out they have more in common.
Categories: FPS > Haldir/Erestor, FPS, FPS > Erestor/Haldir Characters: Erestor, Haldir of Lothlórien
Type: Humor, Romance/Drama
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2560 Read: 2253 Published: August 08, 2012 Updated: August 08, 2012

1. Chapter 1 by Lussuin

Chapter 1 by Lussuin
"This is entirely your fault." If it was not for you, we would not be stuck in this situation!" yelled Haldir.

"Me? Why are you blaming me when you are the one who did not listen? I told you, we should have taken the other path. But no, being the arrogant, hot-headed march warden you are, you just had to take the other! I think you should be blaming yourself!" shouted Erestor.

The two elves stood there, both refusing to face the other.

"I can not stand that elf!" thought Haldir.

It had been like that ever since they left. Their arguments never ceased and now the two had gotten themselves into an impossible situation. They were in a small cave on top of a steep hill. The storm poured rain in large amounts, flooding the area. The cave being so high, water had surrounded it, making it seem like an island. Erestor could not swim and even if he could, they would not dare to. A large band of orcs was on their tail.




Haldir and Erestor had been traveling for three days. Haldir was the escort for Erestor to Mirkwood. Haldir had been sent to Imladris, carrying a message from Lady Galadriel. He had orders to stay there for two months and during that time he would be of service to Rivendell. For the first two days there, he enjoyed the company of the twins; they were troublesome but Haldir loved it. The excitement and mischievous things they did were... pleasurable.

Then, the other day, Elrond had asked Haldir to escort his diplomat, Erestor, to Mirkwood. Haldir had never really known the elf. In his eyes, the dark elf was mysterious and distant. He did not speak much but he knew the elf was most trusted and loyal.

When setting out, they did not speak much, just little introductions and getting to know one another.

"I see you have grown close to the twins. I still do not understand how you can tolerate them. They drive the lord insane enough," said Erestor.

"They can be a handful at times but I've learned to handle them," replied Haldir.

"Are you sure you are the one handling them, or are they in fact handling you?"

Haldir did not reply. He had to admit, they did have some degree of control over him. "Exactly how long are we to stay in Mirkwood?" he asked, changing the subject.

"Only for a couple days, not too long, I have to be back for other matters. How are things in the patrol?"

"They are fine, some orcs have tried to enter but that is what we are for."

"Do you enjoy this? You know... being a Marchwarden and the taking of lives?"

"At times I do feel that I have shed too much blood, but they have no mercy on us. I must do what I do to protect my people. Never again will they overrun the Golden Wood and infest the forest. What about you, do you enjoy being a diplomat all the time? At times I am in your position and I find it boring. Besides the traveling, I hate everything about it; attending meetings, writing reports, addressing so many people... Those things are too much for me."

"You are still young, you want to enjoy more things in life, I can see. I am far beyond the age of wanting anymore than what I have now. Being of service to Lord Elrond is an honor. I am grateful of my work and ask for nothing more."

Haldir rolled his eyes. Clearly, they had many differences. Haldir liked his job but still liked to enjoy the simple things in life. Erestor had forgotten the splendid things in life by burying himself in his work.

They remained silent until they reached a small camp. No one occupied it but a fire was lit. They approached with caution, not knowing if they were friend or foe.

"Who do you think was here before us?" asked Erestor.

"I'm not sure, but whoever it was, they will return. The fire still burns."

As Haldir looked around the camp, Erestor's eyes were drawn to a scroll lying about the ground. Being the inquisitive elf he was, he picked it up and unfurled it. Taking a look through it, he gave a gasp that startled Haldir.

Haldir ran to his side, wondering what the commotion was. "What is it?"

"This is the missing scroll that was stolen from Imladris. About 200 years ago, there was a surprise attack on Rivendell. During the time, we were distracted and two spies breached security."

"What is the importance of this scroll?"

"It reveals the tactics and spells used to defeat the troupes of all elven realms, even Lothlórien. Haldir, have there been times when enemies have entered without the Lady knowing their presence?"

"In fact, there have been. Are you saying this scroll has the information to...?"

"Destroy our realms," ended Erestor.

Suddenly, Haldir was alerted by the rumbling of footsteps and shaking of bushes. He pulled Erestor with him as he leaped into a nearby bush.

"What do you think...?"

"Shhh... Someone is coming," said Haldir.

They watched in shock as a band of orcs entered the camp. A count of nine, but four were much larger and had a fiercer appearance than the others. Haldir had never seen this species of orc before. There was one in particular, the largest, which Haldir figured to be the leader.

"You stupid maggot! How did you lose the master's scroll? Find it now!" yelled the leader.

They searched high and low, going from bush to bush. Then, one of the orcs came close to their bush. He was about to pass their bush when suddenly, Erestor moved and snapped a twig. The Orc came back and stuck his head in. He was greeted by Haldir's knife.

"They have the scroll!" yelled the half-dead Orc.

The elves sprang out as the orcs charged at them. Haldir met them with his blade, slaying every one that came in his path. Finally, the Urak-Hai came at him. Their strength was far beyond that of the smaller ones. When Haldir had slayed three, the leader let a loud cry, signaling for more to come.

"Bring back the scroll!" ordered the leader.

Knowing they were no match for such large numbers, Haldir and Erestor fled. They were fortunate that elves possessed great speed. They could out run them for now, but they knew that they would soon catch up.

Luck was not on their side that day; the storm had begun to take its toll. A flash of lightening struck the tree beside the path they were to take. Haldir saw the tree tilting in Erestor's direction. Again, he pulled him to safety.

"What path should we take?" asked Haldir.

"We should go right."

"Right, would be going around the mountains. We should go left."

"It's a safer way. The orcs will have trouble going about the mountains."

"If we take the left path and hurry, we will reach Mirkwood before they can gain on us!"

The rain began to pour from the sky in buckets. Water was rising fast and Erestor knew it.

"We will soon be caught in a flood!" protested Erestor.

"A flood!" Haldir burst into laughter, "That is not possible! This is the forest not a city!"

As the two argued about which path to take, the orcs appeared through the heavy rain.

"There they are! Get them!" yelled the Uruk-Hai.

Reflexively, Haldir grabbed the diplomat, taking the left path. He practically carried him for he refused to move.

"I told you to take the right path!" yelled Erestor.

"Too late now!"

Haldir ran with the stubborn diplomat in his hands. He began to feel foolish when he realized the water had risen to his knees. Erestor looked down to find the Marchwarden in the flooding water.

"I told you there was flood coming!"

Haldir ignored him and kept running. Finally, they reached a large hilltop.

"The cave!" ordered Erestor.

Haldir ran for it and entered the cave. Haldir dropped him down.

"Tanya awra!" yelled Erestor.

"Sorry."

"You should be; you got us in this mess!"




"This is entirely your fault." If it was not for you, we would not be stuck in this situation!" yelled Haldir.

"Me? Why are you blaming me when you are the one who did not listen? I told you, we should have taken the other path. But no, being the arrogant, hot-headed march warden you are, you just had to take the other! I think you should be blaming yourself!" shouted Erestor.

The two elves stood there, both refusing to face the other.

"I can not stand that elf!" thought Haldir. "It was you who got us chased by the orcs! If you had just been graceful like an elf should be, we would not be here!"

They argued until it was almost nightfall. Haldir shook as the night grew colder. Erestor noticed it and then got up and searched the cave.

"What are you doing?" asked Haldir.

"Trying to find some firewood to keep you warm."

Haldir got up and helped search. Luckily, this was one of the caves the troupes have rested in before. Erestor found firewood, some flares, and to their luck, food. Not really food but Lembas.

"Haldir, over here!"

Haldir ran over to the diplomat and searched for what had caused his cheerful tone. He was astonished at the goods he had found. He assisted Erestor, carrying them to the front end of the cave.

Erestor stared outside, looking over the flooded land before them. "When do you think we'll be able to get out of here?"

"I'm not sure, but I think it is best if we send for some help. It might take days for the water to lessen."

"You are right, but how will we?"

At that moment, Haldir sparked the fire, burning the firewood and restoring heat within the cave. "Now we will not be cold."

A bird flew into the cave and rested on Erestor's shoulder. Haldir turned to look at the creature sitting peacefully on the diplomat's shoulder.

"That's it!" he shouted.

Erestor turned to the Marchwarden and raised an eyebrow. "What's it?"

"We can send the bird to Lord Elrond for help. He can be our messenger!"

"Wonderful plan." Erestor then whispered some words in elvish to the bird and watched it fly away. "Now we wait..."

They sat down near the fire and Haldir stared at the diplomat with different eyes. "He's not so bad," thought Haldir as he handed some lembas to him.

"Diola lle," said Erestor.

Haldir glared at him eating, finding the sight quite erotic. He was seeing Erestor in a very different way. Before, he was just a boring elf that had lived too long; now he saw a smart, loyal, and exotically beauty elf. Was it just him, or did he feel like the diplomat was seducing him by just eating the simple Elvin bread?

"Haldir, Haldir!"

Haldir was brought back from his daze and looked at the elf once more.

"What are you looking at?" asked Erestor with a weird look.

"Just noticing how beautiful you are," Haldir had not thought twice about what came out.

"What?" Erestor was surprised at the straightforward words. What was this elf thinking about? Now that he looked at Haldir more closely, he was stunning himself.

Haldir moved closer to and locked Erestor's lips before he could say anything. His lips slowly caressed the diplomat's, making him moan slightly. They both removed their clothing and began making passionate love.

The next morning Haldir lay awake, taking glances at him. Last night, the diplomat had showed much skill. What he had thought was proved wrong within the mysterious elf's embrace. He was quite active indeed and was clear on the things he wanted. He had started out in control, with the passionate kissing and removal of his mate's clothing. As his mind lingered on the memory, he heard distant voices.

"Haldir, Erestor! Haldir, Erestor!"

Haldir quickly dressed and ran to the opening of the cave. Erestor shot up at the rustling of Haldir's clothing.

"What going on?" asked a puzzled Erestor.

"Listen... What do you hear?"

He listened closely, and upon hearing the call of his name, he also ran to the pile of clothes and dressed.

He ran towards the opening, standing at Haldir's side. With their keen eyesight, he could see three boats in the distant. The group was being led by Lord Elrond himself.




Elrond searched dearly for the captain and his diplomat. Last night, when in his slumber, a bird awoke him and nested on his pillow. He spoke of his people in need of rescue. In an instant, he rose and gave orders to depart.

The bird rested on his shoulder, navigating them to the cave. In the mist, he spotted the diplomat's raven hair. "Head towards the hill, they are inside the cave," ordered Elrond.




The two jumped with joy when the boats reached them. The lord stepped out, walking into the cave. "I see that you are not famished after all," gazing at the lembas near the fire.

"The patrol must have left it here the last time they rested here," replied Haldir.

"Shall we still venture to Mirkwood?" wondered the Diplomat.

"No, it can wait. Let's go home," answered the lord.




Haldir and Erestor sat in the garden, gazing up at the stars.

Erestor turned to look at his mate. His eyes had a glint of hope in them, as if he were wishing something.

Haldir realised he was being watched, turning to Erestor, he smiled warmly at him. "Is there something to look at?"

"Just you, that's all."

"What about me?"

Their lips were gently pressed together to answer the question. "What was that for?" asked Haldir breaking from the kiss.

"Nothing, I was just thinking about us in the cave. I just caught up in the moment."

Ever since that night, Haldir had wondered if the passionate night between them was something that came from the heart or was it just the moment and time. Whatever it was, he had to know.

"Erestor?"

"Yes, Haldir?"

"That night... do you regret it?"

Erestor thought for a second. What had happened was never something that crossed his mind. Yes, it was just the moment but also something more. Lying with him was not just pleasure but also love. Two completely opposite elves but when together and getting along, made sweet music with one another.

Haldir waited with anticipation. The silence between them was killing him.

"I do regret it."

Before Erestor could fully finish, Haldir felt as if a knife was stabbed through his heart. His face dropped slightly and his smile was no more.

Erestor cupped his chin and titled it up to gaze into the eyes. "I regret our first time not being in a more suitable place. Shall we try it again?"

Haldir replied with a mischievous grin and he stood up from the bench. Before Erestor could react, he was lifted onto the March warden's shoulder, heading for his room.

"Do you enjoy lifting me?"

"Very much; it reminds me of deflowering maidens," replied Haldir with a burst of laughter.
End Notes:
[Tanya awra] That hurt!
[Diola lle] Thank you
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=3121