Nothing Stays The Same by Summer
Summary: Aragorn/Frodo
Categories: FPS > Frodo/Aragorn, FPS, FPS > Aragorn/Frodo Characters: Aragorn, Frodo
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1720 Read: 1687 Published: August 18, 2011 Updated: August 18, 2011
Story Notes:
Beta Read By Laura Mason (Thank you!)

Time: Post Quest, Minas Tirith

1. Chapter 1 by Summer

Chapter 1 by Summer
He could hear laughter and the clink of goblets coming from down the long hallway. Frodo paused a moment, before heading toward the happy sounds. It was late and he wasn't supposed to be out of bed yet. Feeling a cold draft, Frodo pulled the robe tightly around his waist, and continued down the hall. Two guards were posted at the entrance of the room, and upon seeing the halfling they bowed their heads.

Smiling at the two guards, Frodo entered the room, hoping he would not be noticed. If he was caught he would undoubtedly be chastised. Profusely and sternly. Standing just inside the doorway, Frodo looked about the room, resting his eyes on the familiar figures, content to remain right where he was, unnoticed and out of the way.

Legolas was standing off to the side, speaking to Lord Faramir and Lady Eowyn. Rumors were spreading that the two were engaged to be married. They would make a lovely pair. With the light of the torch above her she glowed with an ethereal beauty in her golden, regal robes. Frodo had to agree with Merry that she was most fair. She had come to his chambers this morning bringing honey and fresh made bread which she had said she had not made and would be edible. She had smiled and had kissed him on the cheek. Merry had told him she had suffered a great loss. Frodo hoped that from now on she would know only happiness.

Legolas was smiling, leaning up against the cold stone wall, dressed in a beautiful silver robe that seemed to sparkle. His skin had a positive glow even in the dimness of the room. The golden hair was freshly combed and was braided back with a metal tiara, removing the look of an intimidating warrior and making him appear more like the Elf Prince he was. Legolas had changed.

Frodo's roving gaze found Gimli sitting by the fireplace with Gandalf, drinking from a mug of ale in one hand while using the other to play the old Wizard at a game of chess. Gimli's axe leaned up against the nearby stone wall, out of reach, clearly showing how relaxed the dwarf felt. Gimli had loosened his braids, and was still wearing the fine coronation clothes he had worn this morning. He no longer looked like a fighting dwarf, but as Frodo imagined a retired soldier who would be content to live peacefully in the coming of the fourth age. Gimli had changed.

Gandalf was laughing slightly as he took another one of Gimli's pieces, ignoring the scowl on Gimli's face, before taking a long draw upon his pipe. The light from the fire revealed newly washed robes that were as white as snow. The old scraggily beard was gone, replaced by a much shorter and well managed beard. The old Gandalf he had known was no more. He was dead, of course, Gandalf the Grey had died in Moria. This new Gandalf was much like the old one, except...not. Gandalf had changed.

Frodo's eyes then moved to the center of the room, where Aragorn was seated, also with a mug in hand, talking animatedly with Lord Eomer. The King of Rohan. Again, Frodo had to agree with Merry that Lord Eomer was most handsome looking. Very strong and imposing.

But Frodo's eyes turned finally to Aragorn, King Aragorn that is. Lady Arwen of course was not present. She had surprised even Aragorn when she came to the Coronation only to inform Aragorn that she intended to leave with her people. At first Aragorn had been hurt. Nevertheless in the end, he'd graciously kissed her hand and given her back to her father, who looked equally shocked but pleased. The fair Evenstar would not die, she would pass into the west and live forever. She and her father had left just after sunset. Aragorn had bid her and his foster father a sad but loving goodbye. He had let her go and though his heart was obviously broken, he seemed relieved to know that his beloved would not suffer the grief of his mortal death, a death he could not prevent.

The hobbit tried to remember the rugged ranger he had met in Bree, but that man was gone now. The man seated at the table was dressed in red and black robes with his hair trimmed, washed and brushed and a crown resting atop his head. He looked very Kingly. He was even smiling, so that nothing remained of the grim and somber look of Frodo's ranger. Strider was no more.

Tears came to his eyes and Frodo wiped them away just in time to hear his name being called. Gandalf had spotted him and was already standing and rushing towards him. All eyes now turned upon him. Frodo turned to stare at his feet, hoping to find something of interest there.

A moment later, a large form was kneeling down and staring into his face. Frodo suddenly felt cold.

"Frodo, you're not supposed to be out of bed yet. What is the matter? Are you all right?"

Frodo only shivered.

The small Hobbit was immediately gathered up in Gandalf's arms, carried to the fireplace, and set in the wizard's lap nearly covered from head to toe with his warm, thick robes. Frodo didn't feel quite so cold and yet, in so many other ways he did. Frodo only half listened as the wizard chastised him for leaving his bed. But the stern voice held no real bite and was filled more with concern than anger.

Frodo heard Aragorn calling for a servant to fetch some blankets after bidding Eomer and Lady Eowyn goodnight. Faramir had lingered a moment longer, concern clearly shining in his eyes. But Aragorn patted the steward's son on the shoulder and asked him to return to his chambers. Frodo was their concern, his concern.

The Ringbearer was now alone with the remains of the fellowship. Merry, Pippin and Sam were absent but they were not far away. Frodo had left them sleeping contentedly in there beds in the house of healing.

In the beginning, Frodo had been separated from his cousins and Sam, but once Frodo was able to sit up in bed, the four hobbits had been moved to a larger room with four beds barely a hair's breadth apart. Gandalf felt and Aragorn had agreed that healing is helped along when one is surrounded by loved ones.

Frodo remembered staring at his two cousins asleep in each other's arms, leaving one of the beds empty. Frodo had not been surprised the inseparable pair had found love and solace in each other on their quest. What amazed Frodo was why it had taken the two so long? Looking at them, Frodo could see they had grown taller, which he would ask them to explain at a later date, and then there were the little things, the little changes. The way they talked, the way they walked. His cousins had grown up. They had changed.

Sam was unchanged. How could Sam have changed when Sam had never left his masters' side upon the quest to Mount Doom? For a moment, Frodo thought he could be at peace, with the knowledge that at least one person had not changed. But that was when Frodo saw the strip of silver hair upon Samwise Gamgee's temple. It did not take away from Sam's beauty but enhanced it actually. His gardener had noticed it yesterday and had laughed, saying it made him look more mature.

"Don't you think so Mister Frodo?"

Frodo had not disagreed. Nor had he responded. Sam had changed. All had changed in a blink of an eye. Nothing was the same.

"Frodo?"

Frodo tried to ignore the voice calling to him. But finally Frodo's tear filled eyes looked up at Gandalf to see the wizard's eyes were also filled with tears. "Tell me?" he begged as if he already knew what was wrong.

Frodo only let the tears fall and gently raised his hand, his uninjured one, and stroked the clean and combed white beard. "My wizard...my wizard is gone. Strider, Legolas, Gimli....my cousins...even my Sam. They are gone and I don't know how to get back to them."

Looking away, Frodo stared back into the flames and absently touched his bandage-wrapped hand, the one with the missing finger. "All has changed, all is cold, empty and dark. Lost forever."

Arms slowly enfolded him, and Frodo felt Gandalf brush a kiss upon his forehead. "I am still here my Frodo. My dear hobbit. We are all still here."

But Frodo only shook his head. It was then Frodo saw the dark form move in front of him and reach down to gently pull Frodo away from Gandalf and into his own arms.

"Frodo?"

Frodo couldn't look into his eyes, he just couldn't.

"Look at me. It is I, Aragorn. I am not lost, I am still here, alive. We are all here. Alive."

Finally meeting those beautiful azure blue eyes, Frodo realized they had misunderstood. They thought he was speaking of death. Frodo only shook his head, and reached for Aragorn's crown, touching the cold metal and its exquisite jewels with his finger tips, before bringing his hand down and tracing Aragorn's face and beard and finally his lips and chin.

Frodo sighed as a hot tear fell from his eyes. "Strider is dead. Long live King Elessar."

It was only then that they understood, only then that they realized the bitter truth. Aragorn pulled Frodo tightly into his arms, his own eyes filling with tears. How he cursed his weakness every day, how he longed to go back to Amon Hen and change the paths he had trodden. If only he had gone with Frodo and Sam. If only he had stayed with his Hobbit.

"Oh Frodo...Frodo I will always be Strider, your Strider."

Frodo only closed his eyes and wept, because he knew he could never go back. Frodo wished he could tell them how much he had loved them, but most of all, he wished he could tell Aragorn how much he loved Strider. His Strider, his Ranger... but Strider was gone now, and all was dark and all was empty.

All had changed.
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=2544