Reliable Counselor by Erviniae
Summary: Erestor is always so reliable.
Categories: FPS > Erestor/?, FPS Characters: Erestor
Type: None
Warning: Angst, AU
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 716 Read: 2027 Published: June 01, 2009 Updated: June 01, 2009
Story Notes:
Ficlet.

Feedback: Most certainly.

1. Chapter 1 by Erviniae

Chapter 1 by Erviniae
He spent his days working for his lord and the land that he called home. A home were all were welcomed. He was a well-liked elf. Perhaps even loved by some he deemed as his closest friends. He bustled about his duties with the ease of one that well knows his way and purpose.

Many came through his doors during the day and greeted him. Some to just give well wishes for the new day or others to heap work or troubles upon him. Many in Imladris came to him for his sound counsel, which was second only to his Lord Elrond's.

Of the many who came to bestow their woes upon the sturdy shoulders of Elrond's chief advisor, he would listen with genuine concern, only to reply with any sage advice he could give. If an answer were unbeknownst to him, he would research; and in doing so, direct the elf in the right direction for the best solution to any dilemma handed before him.

In a social setting, Erestor was shy at times, he often finding himself floundering at small talk. He had many acquaintances but few true friends. Whenever he seemed to be developing a friendship with another that he longed to have and keep, he would find that it never developed deeper as he so wished. Oh, he was there and listened and helped, although whence he needed someone to listen to him, no one seemed to believe that the self assured, dedicated, intelligent, counselor could ever have a problem that he could not handle, even if it was an emotional problem.

He remembered the easy friendship that he had struck up with Lindir upon the minstrel's arrival in Imladris. They had much in common, a love of music, of story telling, even tastes in ellon! On the other hand, since Lindir was so outgoing, witty and jovial, he soon found many friends. He would be happy to see Erestor, easily striking up a conversation, though Lindir often gravitated towards his other friends, even at the expense of Erestor's presence. He remembered fondly that they would often lunch together, seeking each other out, until Erestor started to find that Lindir would already be in the hall eating with his other companions when Erestor would come to dine. Erestor would make an effort to go over and join them, but they would often be finished and ready to resume their day. He ate alone once more.

Centuries later Glorfindel came. They immediately formed a fast friendship. They spoke long together of their lives and though Glorfindel preferred ellith, Erestor found himself falling in love with the beautiful warrior. He would never betray their friendship by revealing his true feelings. He continued to enjoy the time they spent together, whether it was work related or of a social nature.

Many nights they spent sharing their time together until through popularity, Erestor again began to lose part of his friend. It started out with small things. Glorfindel would have other activities to do besides meet with him to talk or have a game of chess like they frequently did.

It was one such night whence feeling so alone and second best; he walked the long halls of Imladris to his destination, the Hall of Fire. Slowly opening the doors, he walked inside and glanced about him. Lindir was tuning his harp whilst chatting happily with the other musicians. Elrond was seated by the fire, playing games with his children. In the far corner was the strident laughter of Glorfindel, other warriors, and not a few ellith. None seemed to notice his presence. Erestor just as slowly walked back out and towards his rooms.

"Do you think we should have asked Erestor to join us?" asked Glorfindel to a smiling Lindir.

"No, he would join us if he wanted," Lindir answered.

"He prefers it this way," stated another elf.

"He's always kept to himself," added yet another.

"He doesn't mind at all," agreed one more, adding, "He'll be there if you need him."

Erestor finally made it to his room. He put on sleeping pants and a loose shirt. He lit one single candle, sat in his favorite chair, one hand with a glass of wine, the other with a book of poems, and he wept.
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=1177